The Falklands

Anth

Interesting geologist who worked on oil finding missions in the Falklands previously, when they extracted a massive - TWO litres - of oil. Anyway, this provided proof of concept, but the best case scenario is that they can extract 390 billion barrels out of the Falklands, but there is only about 10% chance of this. To put this find into perspective, the world would use that much oil in 4 days.

Well historically the rate for new field wildcats worldwide is a 10% chance - but that's just finding ANYTHING - finding sommat big enough to develop down there is going to be tough. BP's Claire Field off Shetland waited 30 + years to come on stream

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was told that one of the reasons for fighting to keep them is that they represent a very important staging post to the mineral deposits (should they ever become commercially, or ecologically viable) in British Antartica. Whether this is bullshit, I know not, but it seemed fairly creditable.

I thought it was because Thatcher's popularity was at a record low.

By the end it was at a record high.

I'd say that makes me a cynic, but then, Leazes would say it makes me naive.

No I wouldn't.

Her popularity had sank from when she had been elected a few years earlier [which govt doesn't, not many] but she also had no opposition - I think Michael Foot may have been Labour Leader, who was nothing but a tramp and a lunatic.

Yes, the Falklands propelled her in the popularity stakes. I think the majority of people realised the Falklands had to be done, apart from the idealistic anti-war mongs. There is no way Argentina would have negotiated over the Falklands, they wanted them back and the only way it would be done was by military means.

He was in the wrong age (ie media etc) to ever have a chance of being PM but he had more intelligence and principles in his little toe than you could ever dream of.

such as ?

He looked a fuckin tramp at the Cenotaph man.

That's it - one inappropriate choice of coat in an age when image is all that counts and a man is dismissed.

Pathetic.

Since its topical today, and to defend his honour, does Foot really look that scruffy in this photograph? I thought it was supposed ot be a Donkey Jacket as well?

Foot_Centph_DonkeyJacket_1981.jpg

I was told that one of the reasons for fighting to keep them is that they represent a very important staging post to the mineral deposits (should they ever become commercially, or ecologically viable) in British Antartica. Whether this is bullshit, I know not, but it seemed fairly creditable.

No I wouldn't.

Her popularity had sank from when she had been elected a few years earlier [which govt doesn't, not many] but she also had no opposition - I think Michael Foot may have been Labour Leader, who was nothing but a tramp and a lunatic.

Yes, the Falklands propelled her in the popularity stakes. I think the majority of people realised the Falklands had to be done, apart from the idealistic anti-war mongs. There is no way Argentina would have negotiated over the Falklands, they wanted them back and the only way it would be done was by military means.

He was in the wrong age (ie media etc) to ever have a chance of being PM but he had more intelligence and principles in his little toe than you could ever dream of.

such as ?

That's it - one inappropriate choice of coat in an age when image is all that counts and a man is dismissed.

Pathetic.

Since its topical today, and to defend his honour, does Foot really look that scruffy in this photograph? I thought it was supposed ot be a Donkey Jacket as well?

No, it never was a Donkey Jacket, but the description somehow suited the argument so it became common lore.

I always thought of Foot as one of these guys who was just that bit too engrossed in politics. Highly intelligent, I suppose, but his 'day' was earlier than when he came to the very top iykwim.

Written by cunts who've never seen a proper NCB or shipyard donkey jacket of course.

Edited by NJS

No I wouldn't.

such as ?

Pathetic.

If anyone would care to point out the differences between Foot and the Odious Geoffrey behind him I'd love to hear it?

Funnily enough I had a look on the internet last night and thought the same. It's not a donkey jacket. Still didn't stop Heseltine bringing it up on the news last night.

Still didn't stop Heseltine bringing it up on the news last night.

One thing that gets me is that there are some Tories who are obvious twats like Tebbit but I'd say at least he's an honest twat. People like Hestletine somehow get a reputation for being a more reasonable person which is frankly bullshit - just beacuse Hestletine stuck his knife into Thatcher doesn't mean he isn't/wasn't a cunt.

One thing that gets me is that there are some Tories who are obvious twats like Tebbit but I'd say at least he's an honest twat. People like Hestletine somehow get a reputation for being a more reasonable person which is frankly bullshit - just beacuse Hestletine stuck his knife into Thatcher doesn't mean he isn't/wasn't a cunt.

Aye, he likes to paint himself as a bit of a liberal man of the people. At least Tebbit doesn't even pretend he wouldn't sell his granny.

Aye, he likes to paint himself as a bit of a liberal man of the people. At least Tebbit doesn't even pretend he wouldn't sell his granny.

I remember when Mark Thomas did a show on the Millenium Dome and the way Hestletine (and Mandelson to be fair) ignored perfectly reasonable questions and wouldn't even speak to him beacuse they knew they were screwed was beyond ignorance.

I remember when Mark Thomas did a show on the Millenium Dome and the way Hestletine (and Mandelson to be fair) ignored perfectly reasonable questions and wouldn't even speak to him beacuse they knew they were screwed was beyond ignorance.

Mandy's cut from the same cloth anyway. Btw, does anyone even know anyone who went to the Dome for the Millenium exhibition? It looked absolutely tragic on TV.

Mandy's cut from the same cloth anyway. Btw, does anyone even know anyone who went to the Dome for the Millenium exhibition? It looked absolutely tragic on TV.

My dad did. It was. :icon_lol:

I can't remember what the predicted figures as opposed to the actual attendance over the year was but it was well down. I think though it was something like 3 times as many people going there as went to Alton Towers in an average year (Alton Towers being the biggest UK visitor attraction I think) to hit the targets / break even. That was never going to happen. Tbf, it was a bit of a 'couldn't win either way' scenario for Labour.

The whole thing was doomed as soon as it became obvious there was no uniform concept behind what they were trying to achieve. "Here's a collection of loosely related things that may be of some interest, in a place with no other amenities nearby. Enjoy!" :icon_lol:

The whole thing was doomed as soon as it became obvious there was no uniform concept behind what they were trying to achieve. "Here's a collection of loosely related things that may be of some interest, in a place with no other amenities nearby. Enjoy!" ;)

:icon_lol:

I think the same bloke must be copywriting their 2010 manifesto pledges. (And the Tories tbf).

Friend of mine was fairly senior in the MoD in the 80's when Heeselteath was there - reckoned Monday Morning Prayers always started with Hesseltine demanding what photo opportunities had been scheduled for him that week

whereas Portillllllllllo, was very professional indeed

'Tarzan' was/is indeed smarmy, but at least he deserves some credit for resigning over the Westland affair. There are, no doubt, more facts that I don't recall, but it seemed a decent thing to do at the time to me.

I recall him doing a speech at the Tory party conference some years back "About turn! About turn!". What a goon. Those who remember it will know what I mean.

'Tarzan' was/is indeed smarmy, but at least he deserves some credit for resigning over the Westland affair. There are, no doubt, more facts that I don't recall, but it seemed a decent thing to do at the time to me.

That was a calculated gesture so he could challenge Thatcher for the leadership - the idea of a Tory caring abouty a workforce is fantasy.

I can't remember what the predicted figures as opposed to the actual attendance over the year was but it was well down. I think though it was something like 3 times as many people going there as went to Alton Towers in an average year (Alton Towers being the biggest UK visitor attraction I think) to hit the targets / break even. That was never going to happen. Tbf, it was a bit of a 'couldn't win either way' scenario for Labour.

I went the day after the FA cup semifinal. It was utterly gash. I think the French premier at the time had it spot on - 'But what ees it for???'

I think the French premier at the time had it spot on - 'But what ees it for???'

I thought it was a concept failure - if you're going to build a phallic symbol you should at least make it phallus shaped rather than sort of tit shaped.

Guest Barrack Road

I went the day after the FA cup semifinal. It was utterly gash. I think the French premier at the time had it spot on - 'But what ees it for???'

It's better now. Anyway the French PM saying that, bit of irony there. Maybe someone should ask him the same question regarding the whole of France. One of the obstacles of the dome I think is it's not the most accessible place on earth, especially if you're not familar with London. If it was in Central London it would've made more money without a doubt.

They've now made a 'village' of trendy flats out there, and Christ it's a depressing place. As well as the live venues in the dome, there is a street of shops and bars...still inside the dome. We went to some shit derivative eatery there and the waitress asked if we wanted to sit inside or out. :icon_lol:

Greenwich itself is quite nice and one of the handiest places to get in and out of London from, and has proper outdoors.

Aye, Greenwich itself is lovely. A bit yummy-mummy in places, but you'd expect that.

I live about 20 minutes' walk from Greenwich station and you actually get estate agents advertising this neighbourhood as South Greenwich. Rightio. :icon_lol:

It's better now. Anyway the French PM saying that, bit of irony there. Maybe someone should ask him the same question regarding the whole of France. One of the obstacles of the dome I think is it's not the most accessible place on earth, especially if you're not familar with London. If it was in Central London it would've made more money without a doubt.

The main obstacle to the Dome (i.e. millenium exhibition) was that it was gash though. A huge vanity statement for New Labour - all style and no substance. Did you actually go to it? I can't even describe how bad it was, Meenzer came close in an earlier post.

Guest Barrack Road
They've now made a 'village' of trendy flats out there, and Christ it's a depressing place. As well as the live venues in the dome, there is a street of shops and bars...still inside the dome. We went to some shit derivative eatery there and the waitress asked if we wanted to sit inside or out. :icon_lol:

Greenwich itself is quite nice and one of the handiest places to get in and out of London from, and has proper outdoors.

The Blackwall Tunnel is a nightmare a lot of the time.

Got close family who live a Jonas Gutierrez shot away from the top of the park, and I have to say on a sunny day the park itself is one of the most beautiful places in the whole of Britain. You even get dears roaming around sometimes, it's mad.

Where do you live Westcombe Park?

Edited by Barrack Road