The Falklands

Anth

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did Thatcher not say if it wasn't for the war they may have given it to Argentina anyway at a later date? The fact is too many British people lost their lives for us to stand back and give it away now. Simon Weston would have something to say as well. Would be just our luck though eh, another war with them, and Coloccini in the form of his life doing a Ricki Villa and Ardiles back to Argentina.

With UK forces heavily comitted elsewhere and no aircraft carrier for at least 10 years am wondering if the Argies really do fancy a punch up over this? They'd never be able to defend them in the long term but I don't know anything about this doris in charge over there now, is she actually mad or just trying it on a bit?

With UK forces heavily comitted elsewhere and no aircraft carrier for at least 10 years am wondering if the Argies really do fancy a punch up over this? They'd never be able to defend them in the long term but I don't know anything about this doris in charge over there now, is she actually mad or just trying it on a bit?

Galtieri did it for reasons including arresting his waning popularity

As Chez alludes to, the islanders are descended from European immigrants, in the same way that the Argentinians are. Unlike, say, Brazil, the genetic make-up of the vast majority of Argentinians is European, so in that respect neither the Falklands or Argentina are that different. Argentina has gained its independence, because it wanted to, whereas the Falklands want to remain British. So from my point of view, they should either be British or (if they want) an independent country. The Argentinian claim is pretty tenuous and the so-called concerns about colonialism and militarisation are all about them wanting the islands for their potential mineral reserves. In other words, they can fuck right off.

Edited by alex

Guest CabayeAye

Nothing to debate, whatsoever. The Falklands is British and should remain so as long as the Islanders want it. If the Argies invade, we should take back with as much force as neccessary, then continue over the water and punish the Argies.

Nothing to debate, whatsoever. The Falklands is British and should remain so as long as the Islanders want it. If the Argies invade, we should take back with as much force as neccessary, then continue over the water and punish the Argies.

in theory I agree, however we don't have the force we had in 1982, and at the time THAT was depleted too. Its far more so now, and may not be possible.

Having said that, how strong are the Argies ?

Guest CabayeAye

in theory I agree, however we don't have the force we had in 1982, and at the time THAT was depleted too. Its far more so now, and may not be possible.

Having said that, how strong are the Argies ?

We have enough to take the Falklands back, trust me!

Btw, wasn't there a theory Maggie ignored intelligence that the Argie Junta were likely to invade as she fancied a dust-up to help her waning popularity. I.e. left the islands unguarded.

Btw, wasn't there a theory Maggie ignored intelligence that the Argie Junta were likely to invade as she fancied a dust-up to help her waning popularity. I.e. left the islands unguarded.

In 77 they were sabre rattling like now so callaghan sent a couple of nuclear subs with a diplomatic fuck off attached. They fucked off.

The withdrawal of the Endurance in 81 on the other hand was seen as a sign that the UK didn't care.

Read in a few places after they sunk the ship Weston was on we had subs 100 mile of Buenos Aires loaded with ready to use nukes, if they hadn't have piped down. Amazing how times have changed though, the yanks signed an agreement with the South Americans saying look if it ever kicks off we'll help yous out. We go down there Maggie says fuck off Regan, he pipes down and says no bother Maggie. She definitely wore the trousers in that relationship.