The Falklands

Anth

I see they are getting a bit hot and bothered now that there may be oil down there (And it looks like they are getting the backing of all South America). Have we still got the capability to defend them if needs be? Were Argentina around when we claimed them in 1833?

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see they are getting a bit hot and bothered now that there may be oil down there (And it looks like they are getting the backing of all South America). Have we still got the capability to defend them if needs be?

If theres oil there then yeah, the Yanks will storm in.

There was always two sides to the war in 82 - the election campaign and the minerals/oil which is now coming to fruition.

It would be good if the "Continental shelf" basis for claiming territory was ratified globally though - would the French claim the UK?

Argentina didn't even exist then, did it?

Anyway, I think the Argies are just trying to take the public's eye off the terrible economic problems they have in their own country.

I must admit being 1 in 82 means I'm not excatly the most knowledgeable when it comes to what happened and what not, I'm just interested to see how Argentina claim to have some sort of sovereignty over them. Did they have presence there when we claimed them?

I must admit being 1 in 82 means I'm not excatly the most knowledgeable when it comes to what happened and what not, I'm just interested to see how Argentina claim to have some sort of sovereignty over them. Did they have presence there when we claimed them?

I think similarly back then it was a military junta starting a war to save their own skin / raise their popularity. Ironically they did just that for Thatcher. I'm not sure what their claim is though beyond it being relatively close to them. Anyway, if there's oil there, can't the locals just get Blackwater or someone like that to look after their interests?

"At tea-time I was looking at our world map, but I couldn't see the Falkland Islands anywhere. My mother found them; they were hidden under a crumb of fruitcake."

Is that from Adrian Mole?

I think similarly back then it was a military junta starting a war to save their own skin / raise their popularity. Ironically they did just that for Thatcher. I'm not sure what their claim is though beyond it being relatively close to them. Anyway, if there's oil there, can't the locals just get Blackwater or someone like that to look after their interests?

Bloody locals!11 :(

"At tea-time I was looking at our world map, but I couldn't see the Falkland Islands anywhere. My mother found them; they were hidden under a crumb of fruitcake."

Aye. Possibly paraphrased (i.e. misremembered), but still.

I remember the bit where he woke his mam and dad up to tell them we were at war :(

I remember the bit where he woke his mam and dad up to tell them we were at war :(

Iirc his Dad jumped out of bed thinking the Falklands were in Scotland and went back to bed when he looked at an Atlas.

Regarding defence, if we station a nuclear submarine down there we could wipe out their fleet.

I see they are getting a bit hot and bothered now that there may be oil down there (And it looks like they are getting the backing of all South America). Have we still got the capability to defend them if needs be? Were Argentina around when we claimed them in 1833?

There is some evidence that the islands were visited by amero-indians buts its not evidence of a population. It was discovered by the Spanish, occupied by the British and the French and eventually became British. We nearly went to war with Spain over them in 1770.

After the second world war, lots of the old empire became independent and the Argentinians took this opportunity to claim sovereignty over the islands, so the British offered to take the dispute to the international courts. We offered 3 times and each times the Argies refused to have it settled there. This is because it was an American on behalf of the "River Plate" authorities who made their claim. This was 60 years after the Spanish and British had disputed ownership. River Plate was just establishing itself and wanted fishing rights to strengthen itself as a fledgling nation. As their country didnt really exist when the Brits and the Spanish first made claims on it, maybe the Argies thought the international courts would not likely rule in its favour. So they decided comical and over the top military posturing was the way to go, a cornerstone of their foreign policy in the 20th century.

Depends how good the oil is and how easy it will be extract and transport. Takes about 10 years to prove and tap a field anyhow...It will be all over before that.

may not be very much - all pretty small companies involved so far - of course if they find anything the big boys will buy them out

probelm is the costs - it took 100 days to get the rig there - at US$ 350,000 a day.................................

and they have to pay to take it back again

I think there's still a strong UK military / naval presence down there.

Richard Dannett was on the radio this morning saying that we have a stronger military presence now than we did at the start of the 82 conflict.

not hard...

we had 30 marines and the ice ship Endurance with a pop gun in 82

Now we have 1500 personnel, a decent runway, 4 Typhoon fighters, a frigate, a patrol boat and an oiler

and probably a N sub as well but they ain't saying

Edited by Rob W

Richard Dannett was on the radio this morning saying that we have a stronger military presence now than we did at the start of the 82 conflict.

Thing is, what IS the Argie's military capability these days? I mean if they're having finacial problems have they been maintaining their military? I know our forces have been decreased to a ridiculous state but if we didn't stop them should they invade we'd be even more of a laughing stock in the world's view than we already are.

... and would it affect us having Jonas and Colo? Hmmm...

Thing is, what IS the Argie's military capability these days? I mean if they're having finacial problems have they been maintaining their military? I know our forces have been decreased to a ridiculous state but if we didn't stop them should they invade we'd be even more of a laughing stock in the world's view than we already are.

iirc Ossie Ardiles left the country at the time of the falklands. i suppose it would get them off the wage bill for that time............ best not tell dekka or mike that eh?

:(

pretty much the same as the last time but no big ships - cruisers or aircraft carriers

last time most Argies stayed on here TBH - it wasn't personal

iirc Ossie Ardiles left the country at the time of the falklands. i suppose it would get them off the wage bill for that time............ best not tell dekka or mike that eh?

:(

Seem to remember him and Ricky Villa going home.