Losing 500k a week apparently.

Park Life

Newcastle United are losing £500,000 per week

Feb 25 2010 by Luke Edwards, The Journal

Comments (6)Recommend (1) 12next

Ashley had already cleared debts of £110m when he took control of the club back in June 2008, although it was claimed he did not want to be repaid that money as long as someone came up with the £100m asking price last year.

It is not yet clear whether he will take his £20m back this season, particularly as the squad will need significant investment if it is realistically going to compete back in the top flight.

The scale of United’s losses came on the day a report by Uefa, European football’s governing body, estimated that the 18 Premier League clubs in 2007-8 owed more money than all of the clubs in the rest of Europe’s top divisions put together.

The combined debts of these clubs stood at just under €4bn euros (£3.5bn), around four times the figure for the next most indebted top division, Spain’s La Liga.

Given Portsmouth’s demise – the club may still go out of business even if it goes into administration tomorrow – English football is heading for a prolonged period of belt tightening after the boom of the Noughties, and Newcastle are no exception.

THE need for Newcastle United to make an instant return to the top flight has been underlined by the revelation the club is losing around £500,000 a week in the Championship.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastl...61634-25910076/

Edited by Park Life

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not sure. That is I dont know all the facts to have that opinion.

As for Ashley, as I understood the money he is putting into the club, he expects back.

5.2 The Club admitted to the Tribunal that it repeatedly and intentionally misled the press, public and the fans of Newcastle United

"We'd be like Portsmouth if he didnt pay the bills after getting relegated" ... WE GOT RELEGATED BECAUSE OF HIM, I'd fully expect him to pay the bills, he owns the damn bloody club, and completely took the piss and the cost was relegation.

He's the one that didnt have relegation clauses in the contracts of players we signed under him. He's got nothing to complain about, the fact they have the cheek to put out these 'poor mike' stories just show what total piss-taking wankers they are.

He took over the club after failing to check the books- had he seen the debt he might well have not bothered, mike ashley did not come along and say 'ahhh I'll save good old nufc', he is stuck with us after f*cking up and we are stuck with him. Yes we would have been hit harder with the credit crunch if we hadnt been taken over, put the point is the manner of these reports or patronising and sick - making him out to be something he's not.

In terms of 'stupid player salaries' that he may complain is killing the club, he's the one who was in charge when a lot of these contracts were handed out. And one minute he said the whole debt was cleared then months later he says 'theres still a lot of debt'. And in which way has he paid it off, a loan? He might well be wanting that back.

Chris Mort in May 2008...

"This club had £100million-worth of debt which has now been cleared"

Months later, Mike Ashley...

"I then poured another £110 million into the club not to pay off the debt but just to reduce it. The club is still in debt."

Can I ask that with money being so tight and Mike going through a difficult time, why (if true) is Dennis Wise still on the payroll?

Again though, the main point is even if these reports are true, its the pathetic 'poor mike' tone that his people are coming out with, as if we should be giving him a pat on the pat for paying the bills of the club he owns and for the results of his disgraceful behaviour. Or because he didnt put us in administartion - "thanks for bieng just a total c*nt, and not choosing to be an even more of a total c*nt, thanks so much."

5.2 The Club admitted to the Tribunal that it repeatedly and intentionally misled the press, public and the fans of Newcastle United

"We'd be like Portsmouth if he didnt pay the bills after getting relegated" ... WE GOT RELEGATED BECAUSE OF HIM, I'd fully expect him to pay the bills, he owns the damn bloody club, and completely took the piss and the cost was relegation.

He's the one that didnt have relegation clauses in the contracts of players we signed under him. He's got nothing to complain about, the fact they have the cheek to put out these 'poor mike' stories just show what total piss-taking wankers they are.

He took over the club after failing to check the books- had he seen the debt he might well have not bothered, mike ashley did not come along and say 'ahhh I'll save good old nufc', he is stuck with us after f*cking up and we are stuck with him. Yes we would have been hit harder with the credit crunch if we hadnt been taken over, put the point is the manner of these reports or patronising and sick - making him out to be something he's not.

In terms of 'stupid player salaries' that he may complain is killing the club, he's the one who was in charge when a lot of these contracts were handed out. And one minute he said the whole debt was cleared then months later he says 'theres still a lot of debt'. And in which way has he paid it off, a loan? He might well be wanting that back.

"I then poured another £110 million into the club not to pay off the debt but just to reduce it. The club is still in debt."

Can I ask that with money being so tight and Mike going through a difficult time, why (if true) is Dennis Wise still on the payroll?

Again though, the main point is even if these reports are true, its the pathetic 'poor mike' tone that his people are coming out with, as if we should be giving him a pat on the pat for paying the bills of the club he owns and for the results of his disgraceful behaviour. Or because he didnt put us in administartion - "thanks for bieng just a total c*nt, and not choosing to be an even more of a total c*nt, thanks so much."

Let go and move on mate.

Let go and move on mate.

Im simply pointing out how slimy it is for him to be depicted as some kind of hero in this article, despite simple logic in front of anyone.

The PL TV money would've covered this btw Mike.

Spot on.

And the extra wages from still having the high wage bill

I think there are probably better ways of pursuing a policy of cutting the wage bill than getting relegated though.

Owen and Viduka certainly wouldn't have been as they were out of contract. The other two are questionable although wasn't Martins basically told to fuck off by the rest of the players?

Aye, not wanting to jump threads, but it's clear to me we'd be terminally fucked if Freddy was still here.

Let go and move on mate.

extreme-ironing-04.jpg

The PL TV money would've covered this btw Mike.

Spot on.

And the extra wages from still having the high wage bill

Owen, Martins, Viduka, Duff et al would still be here? Unlikely.

Would we have survived in the premier league without these players?

can we lock this thread before leazesmag sees it and it descends into another 30+ page marathon on fat fred v fat mike... ?

aye be quick tho, he has his lunch at 11.30 and wakes from his post lunch nap at 13:00

We didnt get relegated JUST because of MA. We got relegated because we had money grabbing pricks on the pay roll. The reaction against Villa last season from some players said it all. Theres such a better harmony amongst the players at the moment.

As for Ashley, want him out obviously but I do give him credit for some of the things he's done. He has made us one of the most financially stable clubs in English football. No debt..... doesnt he deserve credit for that?

We didnt get relegated JUST because of MA. We got relegated because we had money grabbing pricks on the pay roll. The reaction against Villa last season from some players said it all. Theres such a better harmony amongst the players at the moment.

As for Ashley, want him out obviously but I do give him credit for some of the things he's done. He has made us one of the most financially stable clubs in English football. No debt..... doesnt he deserve credit for that?

:lol:

Can I change your name to Comical Dekka?

It sounds stupid but we actually are. Do you think Shepherd would of been able to pay off our debts?

It sounds stupid but we actually are. Do you think Shepherd would of been able to pay off our debts?

Ashley had to pay off a large part of the debt (57m - from the stadium rebuild) because the financial agreement Shepard had in place was non-transferable. So under Shepard the debt was not an imediate issue.