Boumsomg and Luque

LeazesMag

Boumsong and Luque. Who on here if anybody thought these useless cunts would be any good.

I know that plenty of people on NO thought so, and thought that we should continue to splash cash like nobodies business in the chase for success, at the time

The same people who now say the club should not have spent money they did not have, and amazingly defend Mike Ashleys prudency running the 3rd highest crowds in the country. Some of these people say they are accountants

Ref Boumsong and Luque, and those that supported them and said they would come good or something like that, is it the delusion and romanticism of signing foreigners that appeals to idiots that basically haven't got a clue ?

On the other hand, we could have bought "trophy players" whoever they were. Those players that got us into europe and fuelled the criticism of the board at the time because they didn't win the premiership.

Mike is Ok though, because he's building a good 2nd division team that is probably about to experience the glory of promotion to the premiership.

Edited by LeazesMag

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's what happens when you back a rubbish appointment. At least Big Mike knew it was right to get rid of Big Sam before he made all those crap transfers.

Saying that Big Sam would have still kept us up, but I might have stopped following football by that point.

Ref Boumsong and Luque, and those that supported them and said they would come good or something like that, is it the delusion and romanticism of signing foreigners that appeals to idiots that basically haven't got a clue ?

Freddy Shepherd you mean?

Boumsong was playing for Lyon in Madrid I see...

Aye, thought it was a strange time to bring Boumsong up since he played well against Real the other day and is in the quarter finals of the CL. Perhaps the fact that some players we universally thought were useless knackers have done well elsewhere (e.g. Duff) is a reflection on just how shit our choice of managers have been recently. That being the case, it just goes to show there's no use throwing money at a shit manager like Souness.

I personally think that the fans have a lot to answer for, 52k groans when a player gives the ball away, no support for players that are struggling for form.

It must be like walking a tightrope everytime they step out at SJP.

The list of players that got better away from SJP is staggering really.

I think Duff hasn't been that great for Fulham actualy, but I get your point.

Freddy should never have gone over his managers head to sign Luque. Even if you appoint a shit manager, you should back him.

It would be nice if you asked direct questions rather than leading ones.

Boumsong like most i thought a defender that cost that much "must" be good. But he'd only just been signed by Rangers on a free, so smelt a rat. And to be honest i was more bothered with the selling of Bellamy and dropping Dyer to the reserves. It was clear he was knocking heads, but Blackburn fans were openly mocking his appointment a few months prior. As far as his performances he started pretty well and if i recall didn't his wife have health issues in France so he never settled and had to keep traveling back and forth?

Luque didn't stand out when we played against him, so i was amazed at the price tag, but then like Boumsong I was more interested in another deal (Owen). As for his performances, he was never given a shot to prove himself, so it hard to say if it was a lack of talent or Newcastle cripling his career.

I think Fat Sam summed up my feeling quite well when he said he was shocked at how Newcastle bought foriegn players and just left them to their own devices to try and settled in the region. Where as at Blackburn they made sure they had a house near a player they got on with and a social life outside of football.

I think Fat Sam summed up my feeling quite well when he said he was shocked at how Newcastle bought foriegn players and just left them to their own devices to try and settled in the region. Where as at Blackburn they made sure they had a house near a player they got on with and a social life outside of football.

I read an interview with Petrov(of Villa) recently where he spoke of this problem at Celtic.

He was only 20 when he signed and the club just dropped him off at a huge house they suggested he should rent. He ahd no family and after training each day he was completely miserable, and eventually had a breakdown. He had little or no English, so he ended up working in a chip van in the city to try and improve(!).

It does show that clubs do need to help new players bed in.

There's a quote about the manager who signed them on the tip of my tongue. I just can't quite remember what it was or who said it.

to be fair to both players, they arrived with big reputations.

i was surprised as annyone to see boumsong and cris at the heart of the lyone defence yesterday. how can two donkeys like that hold out real madrid in the champions league. bizarre

He's not a donkey, he just wasn't strong enough for the Premier League.

cris looked awful against us for bayer leverkusen in the champions league. iirc wasn't it shola running rings around him?

cris looked awful against us for bayer leverkusen in the champions league. iirc wasn't it shola running rings around him?

I was on about Boumsong. Haven't seen enough of Cris really to comment. I've said similar before but Boumsong would rather face someone like Henry, who he played well against a couple of times for us iirc, when Henry was at or near his peak as well than some big lump like Geoff Horsfield or even Shearer when he was effectively past it. I don't think Boumsong is a great defender but he's pretty decent as far as continental football goes.

On the quarter hour mark, a mis-timed pass to Ameobi looked like coming to nothing but Bayer defender Cris stumbled whilst collecting the ball and Shola was able to pounce

;)

I personally think that the fans have a lot to answer for, 52k groans when a player gives the ball away, no support for players that are struggling for form.

It must be like walking a tightrope everytime they step out at SJP.

The list of players that got better away from SJP is staggering really.

Yes, couldn't agree more.

I was on about Boumsong. Haven't seen enough of Cris really to comment. I've said similar before but Boumsong would rather face someone like Henry, who he played well against a couple of times for us iirc, when Henry was at or near his peak as well than some big lump like Geoff Horsfield or even Shearer when he was effectively past it. I don't think Boumsong is a great defender but he's pretty decent as far as continental football goes.

Maybe cris is the leader at the back for lyon, strikes me as being obvious, that a centreback who needs guidance (as boumsong clearly did during his time with us) should have a keeper and a centreback partner who could lead them. we had given (who's glaringly obvious communications problems still haunt city) and bramble (who's leadership skills are non existant).

this season when taylors played he seems to have led the rearguard quite well as has harper. in the premiership their lack of talent would not be enough i fear!

I think he needs a big strong centre-back who'll go for anything so he can pick up the pieces. I say that because, in fairness to Bramble, the only time Boumsong really looked the part in a run of games was when Bramble (a total confidence player) had a purple patch where he was going for everything and winning most things which allowed Boumsong to play as sweeper. I think he's a bit like Coloccini though where he'd do alright with the right partner alongside him but at the same time would do better in another European league.

yeah i got that. just thought i'd throw in a comment on cris too.

boumsong looked dire at all levels for us tbf.

Not when he first arrived he didn't. A lot of that was down to Bramble though. I think what I'm getting at is stick him up against pacy forwards with movement and he doesn't have a problem but against a big strong lad he does. His confidence was shot to pieces towards the end as well. Not saying he wasn't poor overall for us because he obviously was. Definitely a bit of Souness doing Rangers a favour as well I think.

Not when he first arrived he didn't. A lot of that was down to Bramble though. I think what I'm getting at is stick him up against pacy forwards with movement and he doesn't have a problem but against a big strong lad he does. His confidence was shot to pieces towards the end as well. Not saying he wasn't poor overall for us because he obviously was. Definitely a bit of Souness doing Rangers a favour as well I think.

There has to have been something in that, doesn't there?

£8m profit for Rangers in 6months.

i think a lot of us hoped boumsong would be the defensive rock to help coax some consistency out of bramble. he turned out to be too similar to bramble to form a partnership with him - both prone to far too many howlers.

alex - i get what you're saying about him needing a big strong central defensive partner to get the best out of him. that's why i'm surprised lyon defeated real last night because that cris looked anything but that when we played bayer leverkusen a few years ago. he was chasing shola and lua lau's shadows all night iirc.

;) Jesus wept man.