General Election 2010

Christmas Tree

Toontastic pre-GE Poll  

86 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't really think there's a real difference voting Labour or Conservative at this point. Even the Lib Dems are a vote for change the same way Obama was (ie not really at all).

We'll keep arguing the insignificant minutiae of these things while big government keeps doing what it does regardless.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Liberal fucker in my constituency isn't giving up - I get daily shite from him and now have a personally addressed letter begging me to vote for them. Still hasn't actually knocked on the door yet which is a shame.

I had the Labour candidate knock on my door tonight - asked if she could count on my vote.. I said "no".

She then started babbling on about why its wrong to vote for the Tories. After about 5 mins I managed to get a word in edgeways and make it clear they can't vote on my vote either.

To that I got "Oh god, you're not a liberal are you?"

At which point I said nobody can count on my vote because I've not yet made up my mind and won't do until Thursday.

She didn't know whether to say anything more or just leave it at that. I closed the door to help her make up her mind....

They're all fucking idiots! :o

I had the Labour candidate knock on my door tonight - asked if she could count on my vote.. I said "no".

She then started babbling on about why its wrong to vote for the Tories. After about 5 mins I managed to get a word in edgeways and make it clear they can't vote on my vote either.

To that I got "Oh god, you're not a liberal are you?"

At which point I said nobody can count on my vote because I've not yet made up my mind and won't do until Thursday.

She didn't know whether to say anything more or just leave it at that. I closed the door to help her make up her mind....

They're all fucking idiots! :o

And what was her take on why it's wrong to vote for the Tories?

Any scaremongering? :unsure:

I applied the same logic as when my ex used to rant about something... I switched off :o

Was too busy trying to point out I was undecided about who to vote for but the crux of it was I shouldn't vote Tory rather than I should vote Labour.

I applied the same logic as when my ex used to rant about something... I switched off :o

Was too busy trying to point out I was undecided about who to vote for but the crux of it was I shouldn't vote Tory rather than I should vote Labour.

If your truly undecided you should think what are the 3 most important things that matter to you and review each parties policies on each issue and go with the party that you agree with.

No party will ever tick all the boxes but this should give you a good starting point for arriving at your decision.

You should also take a good look at the three candidates who are local to you.

Has the current mp lived up to their promises from last time?

Do they get involved in local issues that matter to you?

The wrong thing to do (imo) is base your decision on yesteryear.

Example.

The unions brought down the last Labour government in 1979. They tried it on with Thatcher and lost. However 30 years later that should have little bearin on the conservatives of today. Its like comparing New Labour to the CND Labour of the 70's

Its a shame that so many people like Renton make up their mind on history, rather than current policies.

(Hearing Renton talk about the Tories reminds me of a deep south white Granny talking about Negros)

Think whats relevant to your life, look at the policies of each party and then decide. :unsure:

If your truly undecided you should think what are the 3 most important things that matter to you and review each parties policies on each issue and go with the party that you agree with.

No party will ever tick all the boxes but this should give you a good starting point for arriving at your decision.

Example.

The unions brought down the last Labour government in 1979. They tried it on with Thatcher and lost. However 30 years later that should have little bearin on the conservatives of today. Its like comparing New Labour to the CND Labour of the 70's

Its a shame that so many people like Renton make up their mind on history, rather than current policies.

(Hearing Renton talk about the Tories reminds me of a deep south white Granny talking about Negros)

Think whats relevant to your life, look at the policies of each party and then decide. :unsure:

Oooh Lets see.

Jobs. Cameron is on record saying the NE has too many public sector jobs and is clearly going to do a Maggie and fuck us over again. She destroyed our traditional employment base; he’s going to take away a large chunk of what little is left.

The economy. With a conservative government hell bent on creating mass unemployment in the North East the local economy faces complete collapse. No amount of tax breaks for employing a new member of staff is going to make any difference if the region’s disposable income has been drastically reduced.

Crime. Goes hand in hand with poverty. Throw in Cameron’s’ stop benefits for the unemployed for three years policy and crime will go through the roof. Even people without jobs have to eat.

But hang on, if I inherit a property worth more than £20 zillion quid I won’t have to pay any capital gains tax....get in.

I'm not getting into any political debates on here because I'm nowhere near eloquent enough or knowledgeable enough to be able to do any debate justice but I just want to say that I'm really quite inspired by our own Miss Biddy and what she is doing. I'm still in touch and she has always been focused, motivated and passionate about making people's lives better and I'm really proud of her. She's on leave from her job as a women's refuge manager and has been working flat out on her campaign. Good luck to her. It's easy to be cynical about MP's but in this case I can honestly say that she will be one who does her utmost to make things better for ordinary people.

CT is right in what he suggests above. There will always be a percentage of voters who will vote for the same party come what may and in many respects, it's the floaters who really determine the result.

As he says, the best thing you can do is look at each parties policies and make an unbiased, untainted decision on them rather than their history or personalities. The personality is important, but ultimately it should be policy over person. Ignoring history is difficult but both main parties have had good/bad aspects of their past. Both parties have their supposed stereo-typical sides (and history will support many of them) but you can only make he decision on the things which will affect you and/or are important to you.

If decisions were based on personalities, Clegg would be the winner (for being the best of a poor bunch); but thankfully, enough people decide their vote based on policies.

It's interesting you single me out there CT, perhaps it's because I have the most posts on this thread other than yourself, or perhaps it's because you're rattled? In any case, I'm sure if you read the large majority of my posts on this thread, you'll find I actually am critical of the current tory incumbents and their policies rather than previous tory governments.

So, for instance, regarding Cameron (the present leader of the conservatives), I think he comes across as a shallow PR man with no political conviction whatsoever. The thought of his mate Osbourne being in charge of the economy actually scares the shit out of me - do you really think he is qualified for the job or do you think that perhaps he is where he is because of his background?

Regarding the recent decisions that Cameron would have made during the banking crisis, it's my contention that he would have literally destroyed Great Britain plc. I'm not alone in thinking that.

Regarding present tory policies, I've discussed these several times on this thread. For me they range from the dangerous (immediate cutbacks when we are hardly out the recession), to the ridiculous ('Big Society' and tax breaks for married couples), to the downright evil (tax breaks for the super rich). I've also pointed out that Cameron has said he will specifically target the North East regarding cutbacks - something you seemingly don't give a shit about.

Are these points present enough for you? I'd also throw in the fact I know my local MP quite well and he has proved to be a good leader at constituency level. And that the tory challenger in my constituency is an evil hound.

Oh, and one last thing, you have admitted you are a 'dyed in the wool' conservative, so your above comment seems a bit hypocritical, does it not? :o

Edited by Renton

Let Cameron have his 6 months of a hung parliament limbo-fest.....David Milliband is going to hand him his arse on a plate in the tv debates in October....and that other public school pillock Clegg :o

Kenneth Clarke is basically running the Tories and Mandhelson - Labour. Those are the two images you need to keep in mind when you vote. The actual leaders are mere puppets.

Kenneth Clarke is basically running the Tories and Mandhelson - Labour. Those are the two images you need to keep in mind when you vote. The actual leaders are mere puppets.

It’s the people who provide the funding that pull the strings, and we haven’t heard a single word on the funding issue in the run up to this election.

Who does fund the three main parties? How much money do they invest, and what kind of return are they looking for? Does anybody have any idea?

Edited by Problem Child

Had a second labour canvasser here tonight, he was about 12.

The essential thrust of his pitch, at least what I could ascertain whilst neither marvelling at his acne or wondering if he'd gone all the way with a girl, was that if I didn't vote for labour then, this being a marginal seat (up for debate), it would directly lead to a tory victory here. This would unquestionably spiral to a regional and subsequent inevitable national Conservative victory and I alone would be left responsible for that untrustworthy Bentley salesman gaining power and ruining half the free world while buttfucking the developing nations, mutilating gays and setting fire to the man on the pavement. :ohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIJIGqckpvE#t=2m12s

So I'm sorry in advance everyone.

Edited by trophyshy

Interesting you point out that I should look at the candidates that are local to me. Most of them live in town with the exception of one.

They live in Southampton - over 30 miles away and there are no fewer than 5 constituencies that they have to pass through to get to the one they'd be representing. If they think they're getting my vote they can fuck off.

Jobs. Cameron is on record saying the NE has too many public sector jobs and is clearly going to do a Maggie and fuck us over again. She destroyed our traditional employment base; he’s going to take away a large chunk of what little is left.

I thought he said NI and Wales were too dependant on the government for jobs.

The economy. With a conservative government hell bent on creating mass unemployment in the North East the local economy faces complete collapse. No amount of tax breaks for employing a new member of staff is going to make any difference if the region’s disposable income has been drastically reduced.

The Torys can only effect the public sector jobs, which will have no effect on the private sector. They have said they want to force the banks to lend to small businesses, which will create jobs. There are thousands of entrepreneurs waiting to create jobs.

Whereas Labour have said they are going to raise National Insurance, a direct tax that will cost businesses and anyone earning over £20k. Sheer madness - businesses are struggling and more taxes will slow down hiring.

Crime. Goes hand in hand with poverty. Throw in Cameron’s’ stop benefits for the unemployed for three years policy and crime will go through the roof. Even people without jobs have to eat.

So you think its ok for me to support a dole waller three years? There is a lack of good jobs in this country, but I will never be unemployed as i'll clean toilets if it puts food on the table.

But hang on, if I inherit a property worth more than £20 zillion quid I won’t have to pay any capital gains tax....get in.

A labour myth that retards like you lap up. The current threshold is £350,000, which Labour has frozen until 2014. So if your family home is worth more by 2014 you have to sell it....! It's such a small amount of revenue, but dont let that stop your rant. Moreover the shortfall is 1.2 billion which will be leved by the nondom tax.

The best policy of all the parties is the Lib Dems' £10k tax free earnings. So if your poor you should vote Lib Dem.

Edited by Phil

There is a lack of good jobs in this country, but I will never be unemployed as i'll clean toilets if it puts food on the table.

:unsure::o

It’s the people who provide the funding that pull the strings, and we haven’t heard a single word on the funding issue in the run up to this election.

Who does fund the three main parties? How much money do they invest, and what kind of return are they looking for? Does anybody have any idea?

It's basically Big Business, The Unions and Banking interests.

The Torys can only effect the public sector jobs, which will have no effect on the private sector. They have said they want to force the banks to lend to small businesses, which will create jobs. There are thousands of entrepreneurs waiting to create jobs.

Whereas Labour have said they are going to raise National Insurance, a direct tax that will cost businesses and anyone earning over £20k. Sheer madness - businesses are struggling and more taxes will slow down hiring.

Talking of myths it looks like you've swallowed that one.

I'm not sure if theres been a boardroom meeting ever where,when a company has a huge new order on the table,or has a chance to move into a new market,to expand and develop, the chairman has turned round and said "but NI contributions are too high for the x amount of extra staff we'll have to employ,lets not bother eh?"

Its a bare faced lie peddled by the business community in an attempt to gain favour with a potential new tory government.

I thought he said NI and Wales were too dependant on the government for jobs.

So you think its ok for me to support a dole waller three years? There is a lack of good jobs in this country, but I will never be unemployed as i'll clean toilets if it puts food on the table.

A labour myth that retards like you lap up. The current threshold is £350,000, which Labour has frozen until 2014. So if your family home is worth more by 2014 you have to sell it....! It's such a small amount of revenue, but dont let that stop your rant. Moreover the shortfall is 1.2 billion which will be leved by the nondom tax.

The best policy of all the parties is the Lib Dems' £10k tax free earnings. So if your poor you should vote Lib Dem.

He singled out NI and the NE when he was interviewed by Paxman.

The private sector doesn’t exist in isolation.

Not everybody on unemployment benefit is a dole-waller.

I’m not going to rush to judgements but you do sound like the quintessential I’m all right jack fuck everybody else type who could do with a year living on benefits in Cruddas Park to appreciate what a selfish retard you are.

I applied the same logic as when my ex used to rant about something... I switched off :unsure:

Example.

Think whats relevant to your life, look at the policies of each party and then decide. :huh:

Oooh Lets see.

You write like someone who drinks 60 cups of coffee a day.

Back up any of these points with facts and not hysteria. :o

I'm not getting into any political debates on here because I'm nowhere near eloquent enough or knowledgeable enough to be able to do any debate justice but I just want to say that I'm really quite inspired by our own Miss Biddy and what she is doing. I'm still in touch and she has always been focused, motivated and passionate about making people's lives better and I'm really proud of her. She's on leave from her job as a women's refuge manager and has been working flat out on her campaign. Good luck to her. It's easy to be cynical about MP's but in this case I can honestly say that she will be one who does her utmost to make things better for ordinary people.

By holding babies and greeting people with Pee stained hands. UGHHHHHHHH :o