St George's Day

smoggeordie

I've always wondered why St George's day is rarely mentioned. For me, it's one of the most important days of the year (not just because it's my birthday.....). It's a day to be proud to be English, a day where we should appreciate how bloody lucky we are to live in this country. In my opinion it should be a public holiday, and I think it's a disgrace how the media absolute arselick St Patricks Day and totally ignore this. Anyway, it's tomorrow for those who are interested....

st-george1.jpg

stgeorgesday.jpg

stgeorge.gif

buckinghampalace_468x376.jpg

5501725.jpg

quay_side_500x335.jpg

thebard-will.jpg

the-queen.jpg

cheryl-cole.jpg

isaac_newton.jpg

GeorgeStephenson.PNG

Churchill%20Photo.jpg

15022008_sir-bobby-robson.jpg

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely should be a bank holiday, but then there are too many crowded around April and May already. I propose that St. Georges Day bank holiday is implemented and some of the others are spread out. I'm pretty sure we have a lot less bank holidays than most of the other european countries.

Honestly (and I know it'll be mocked but this is what I believe), there should be a parade, proper Horseguards shit. Pomp and pomposity. There should be Red Arrows and 21 gun salutes. There should be fireworks and concerts.

The regions should celebrate their corner of England. The schools should, in the weeks preceding it, study famous English men and women from their area and celebrate them.

We should celebrate what we've achieved in the past and not be bowed by fear of offending some breathy social-worker who thinks that by waving an English flag means you want death to Johnny Foreigner in all his guises.

I don't mind if people want to celebrate or have an excuse to get pissed but I'm sick of this victim myth that nobody can do it.

Patrick's day is generally a marketing ploy by Guinness in this country which people have embraced and there would be nothing to stop anyone doing the same for this day.

I was just talking to a lad last week how overall the English have been the biggest cunts in human history and my reaction to that falls somewhere between pride and shame depending on the subject/mood but I have no real objection to any celebration of this kind.

Guest Barrack Road

Firstly, happy birthday big fella.

Definitely should be a bank holiday, but then there are too many crowded around April and May already. I propose that St. Georges Day bank holiday is implemented and some of the others are spread out. I'm pretty sure we have a lot less bank holidays than most of the other european countries.

It should be a world holiday, for everything we've given the world, which is more than any cunt else. There should be a thank England day, for giving the world modern life, for OVERALL, giving humanity proper structure, fairness, understanding, and most importantly football. It should be a national holiday in every country in the world imo, today.

Serious question - what do people propose we do on St George's day?

Go round knocking people out who ask stupid questions like that.

Honestly (and I know it'll be mocked but this is what I believe), there should be a parade, proper Horseguards shit. Pomp and pomposity. There should be Red Arrows and 21 gun salutes. There should be fireworks and concerts.

The regions should celebrate their corner of England. The schools should, in the weeks preceding it, study famous English men and women from their area and celebrate them.

We should celebrate what we've achieved in the past and not be bowed by fear of offending some breathy social-worker who thinks that by waving an English flag means you want death to Johnny Foreigner in all his guises.

That sounds shit though.

It's interesting you mention that the regions should celebrate their own subcultures. I think that's a reason why St George's day has never really taken off imo, we're too much of a heterogenous bunch compared with our smaller satellite neighbours, and we haven't had a comparitively recent revolution to really unify us like the French and the US. And who the fuck wants to participate in Morris dancing anyway?

I think England is a great country, I feel blessed to live here, but I don't get the notion of personal pride in our country or its history (although I find it fascinating). I think pride better suits the feeling you have to your own achievements or those of loved ones.

Anyway, I'm not going to say no to a free bank holiday. ;)

Firstly, happy birthday big fella.

It should be a world holiday, for everything we've given the world, which is more than any cunt else. There should be a thank England day, for giving the world modern life, for OVERALL, giving humanity proper structure, fairness, understanding, and most importantly football. It should be a national holiday in every country in the world imo, today.

Serious question - what do people propose we do on St George's day?

Go round knocking people out who ask stupid questions like that.

Jesus wept.

I don't mind if people want to celebrate or have an excuse to get pissed but I'm sick of this victim myth that nobody can do it.

Patrick's day is generally a marketing ploy by Guinness in this country which people have embraced and there would be nothing to stop anyone doing the same for this day.

I was just talking to a lad last week how overall the English have been the biggest cunts in human history and my reaction to that falls somewhere between pride and shame depending on the subject/mood but I have no real objection to any celebration of this kind.

But it wasn't your average Joe was it? Regular working and middle class people. The cunts have been the rich, powerful, greedy. I don't think we should feel bad because back in the day some rich people who lived here abused their privilege. Goes on in the evolution of all societies and we happened to recently hold global power. We're still at it to a lesser degree, the Yanks now seem to be in pole position globally, and of course many governments and capitalists are abusing their power everywhere to different degrees. Again it is the rich and powerful pulling the triggers (albeit usually via thick neck hired killers).

I don't think we should feel responsible for the atrocities of people who have fuck all to do with us, lived in different times and were probably spoilt cunts anyway. Awareness yes, guilt no.

Do you think Germans in their thirties should feel guilty or bad about Hitler? I think they should be aware of it, perhaps sensitive when necessary but fundamentally it was fuck all to do with them.

The English do have a lot to be proud of, generally tolerant and kind people. Innovative and inventive who have contributed a lot to the world in many ways.

It is a shame that our national day is a footnote, not because I am a patriot, just because I think the English are a bit lost as nation of people.

Edited by trophyshy

Paddy was a peace loving fella enslaved to Ireland before escaping and returning to do missionary work.

Georgey was a killer. A soldier who stabbed defenseless animals to death.

No wonder people are more inclined to celebrate one over the other.

;)

But it wasn't your average Joe was it? Regular working and middle class people. The cunts have been the rich, powerful, greedy. I don't think we should feel bad because back in the day some rich people who lived here abused their privilege. Goes on in the evolution of all societies and we happened to recently hold global power. We're still at it to a lesser degree, the Yanks now seem to be in pole position globally, and of course many governments and capitalists are abusing their power everywhere to different degrees. Again it is the rich and powerful pulling the triggers (albeit usually via thick neck hired killers).

I don't think we should feel responsible for the atrocities of people who have fuck all to do with us, lived in different times and were probably spoilt cunts anyway. Awareness yes, guilt no.

Do you think Germans in their thirties should feel guilty or bad about Hitler? I think they should be aware of it, perhaps sensitive when necessary but fundamentally it was fuck all to do with them.

The English do have a lot to be proud of, generally tolerant and kind people. Innovative and inventive who have contributed a lot to the world in many ways.

It is a shame that our national day is a footnote, not because I am a patriot, just because I think the English are a bit lost as nation of people.

If you don't want to feel shame in past atrocities why do you think we should feel pride in past achievements? I think both are wrong.

I wish the English were a bit more tolerant as well. Look at how tolerant the biggest 'patriot' on this thread so far is. ;)

But I can feel pride in human achievement generally can't I? Actually pride isn't the right word really, acknowledging and being inspired by is probably closer to what I mean.

Must I feel shame about all human atrocity?

Achievement inspires people, awareness of atrocity aids wisdom. I don't believe in shame or guilt, unless it is my own responsibility.

Edited by trophyshy

But I can feel pride in human achievement generally can't I? Actually pride isn't the right word really, acknowledging and being inspired by is probably closer to what I mean.

Must I feel shame about all human atrocity?

Achievement inspires people, awareness of atrocity aids wisdom. I don't believe in shame or guilt, unless it is my own responsibility.

I think I agree actually and maybe my problem is just with the semantics of the word 'pride'.

I'm not really opposed to a National day but not overly keen on being based on Old George, especially as it happens in a period already congested with public holidays. Let's have one in June or July I say.

I agree with a lot of what you say but the problem as I see it is that English patriotism is almost defined by the "upper class" stuff you mention which I tend to dislike rather than a pride in a shared sense of community I would be happy to embrace.

Wasn't St George Libyan???

Suggestions I've read this week are that he was either from Palestine or Asia Minor but this was before the Turks as such arivved from an ethnic pov.

Brought back from the edge of lunacy by that clause.