Hughton expects transfer kitty

2bias

I think with Barton back in the side who can atleast thread a pass through defence, it would let someone like Lovelyhands to get on the end of it

Carroll and Strola are both to slow, they need balls delivered in at height

if we don't have someone that can put a decent ball in we are screwed

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think with our current options Carrol and Lovenkrands are our starting strikers with Nolan as likely as strola to be played with Carrol.

I agree with whoever said that we now have decent players playing for the team as oppose to better players who couldn't be arsed last time around. TBH I would Carrol over the way Owen or Viduka were playing for us and in time he played for us in the premiership Lovenkrands looked more dangerous that Martins was. Coloccini has his confidence back which could well make as good a showing as Bassong did.

So in those terms I don't think we really are much weaker than the squad that went down and but should have been good enough to stay up.

I still think that we do need a new rightback, a pacy central midfielder who can use the ball and a pacy striker. That would be enough to virtually guarantee survival and give us a platform to push further up towards the top ten. I don't expect we'll get these players though.

he got 11 in 21 in the championship,

That's the kind of harshness I mean.

He scored 10 goals in 11 starts in the championship.

11 goals in 12 starts in all competitions.

Fair enough, he did ok in the championship agaionst poor teams in a poor league.

he's still shit and nowhere near a premiership striker

I think everyone enjoys slating Ameobi. Every mistake he makes people get on his back. He's still a capable striker though...and would bloom without the constant negativity he suffers at St James.

I think it's in all football fans' nature to see the bad side of players in their team to some degree though.

For example...

i don't get the interest in Milner at all, hes got no pace, no real tricks and is an average crosser at best

http://www.toontastic.net/board/index.php?...st&p=490960

£24m eh?

:o

we need to sign around 5 players with a bit of top flight nous about them if we want to avoid another relegation battle.

there are question marks over whether our right back, all of our centre midfielders and all of our strikers can perform at the highest level.

we don't have much depth out on the flanks either

Every new para of that post takes it down a notch. You forgot and an inexperienced manager. :o

We need at least ONE PL standard striker and two CM's of PL quaity. This is the bear minimum.

..............Harper

..?.......Collo...Taylor...Enrique

..............New DM................

Routledge...New CM.......Guti

..............Nolan.................

...............New Striker.......

:o

Ameobi is not a capable striker in the premier league. Once again, people have short memories.

As capable as the likes of Cole, Jerome, Rodallega, Doyle, Dindane, Zamora and other bottom half top scorers we'll be competing with.

I think he's been gash too, in comparison to Shearer, Martins, Bellamy or Viduka.

...but see no reason to rush out and spend inflated prices on any of the above (in my earlier post). Who as far as i can see are just as hit and miss.

We're not going to be getting any World Cup starlets in.

EDIT: His record is pretty much identical to Cole's. Been going ten years. Never more than 10 goals in a season. Just 38 goals in 185 appearances.

EDIT2: And Zamora too. All his goals came at Brighton. He got just 3 in 35 appearances in 08/09. His 8 goals this year is his second best over any Premier League season. He got 11 once for West Ham.

Edited by Happy Face

Ameobi's scored 28 goals in the premier league for a career total (thats in 160ish games), carlton cole scored 10 in this season alone, same sorta number for zamora, even doyle got 9 this season, and Rodallega has only had one full season in the prem and already got into double figures.

so no he won't be as capable as them, not even remotely, the guys gash, he can't hold up the ball like some of the players you mentioned, he can't run with it like some of the above and someone like Rodallega is more skilful and all.

All this is irrelevant i guess but sure we'll see how it goes for him this season, in the past he was rubbish

How many starts? and how many as leading man?

agree with ant and dont know whats got into some of you

sholas never been a good player, hes been "ok" in the championship when he was fit but as a PL striker? get off

fucking useless

The thing about Ameobi is whilst he may score the occasional goal he offers very little else to worry defenders. He constantly gives away pointless free kicks to relieve the pressure on opposing centre halves. His headers and knock downs go to no-one. Generally his hold up play and lay offs are useless and he's often caught offside. He lacks the pace to get past defenders and whilst he can manage a tricky dribble, there's usually no end product and he lacks awareness of players around him. He lacks presence and threat at corners and often gives away free kicks by obviously fouling his marker.

I think he's quite good at getting shots away early and from unexpected angles, especially with his left foot. He sometimes finds space but doesn't know what to do with it. Also to me he seems to frequently scuff the ball, failing to make a clean strike. You don't see him score many goals from distance for instance.

Generally I just don't see the point of him in the starting XI - he's not pacey or powerful enough to act as spearhead, skilful enough to disrupt organised defences, clever enough to play off the last man, deadly enough to take the few chances that come his way, busy enough to harry defenders and make something happen, or play as an attacking midfielder/support striker.

Given his goal record the best argument for him is as a sub, coming on in the last 10 mins if you need to freshen things up. He can be unpredictable with the ball (I don't think he knows what to do with it, let alone the oppo) so can mix things up a little.

However given his poor injury records and general gashness I would sell in an instant if I could. Perhaps if you sold best and Ameobi you might scrape together the money for someone more effective.

Interesting comment on nufc.com regarding ex-Toon players like N'Zog and Parker who may move on this summer. If we had sell on clauses, we might get extra money. Maybe that's where Hughton's transfer budget's coming from?

Interesting comment on nufc.com regarding ex-Toon players like N'Zog and Parker who may move on this summer. If we had sell on clauses, we might get extra money. Maybe that's where Hughton's transfer budget's coming from?

Does everyone believe what them two say?

Does everyone believe what them two say?

They only raised it as a possibility. Which it is.

Can't believe we're actually discussing Moby as a starter.

Like it or not....he will be.

What about his lucrative pop career and his penchant for exotic synths? :o

sholas never been a good player, hes been "ok" in the championship when he was fit but as a PL striker? get off

fucking useless

I don't think he's very good, but at the same time I don't think a lot of the side's we'll be realistically competing with next season have very good strikers either. Is he significantly worse than Cameron Jerome, Zamora, Carlton Cole, Kevin Davies and the like? I don't think believe he is. I hope he's not one of our first choice strikers next season, because even with our budget we should be able to find better, but his scoring record each season is generally a goal every 3 starts, which isn't terrible.

I've advocated us going after Boyd from Rangers for a while, because at the moment we don't have a genuine goalscorer in our squad (with the possible exception of Lovenkrands), but that won't happen and it looks like we're going to have to make the best of what we've got. Do I think Ameobi will be able to lead the line effectively next season? No. Do I think he is capable of being useful as a squad player? Yes.

fucking useless

I don't think he's very good, but at the same time I don't think a lot of the side's we'll be realistically competing with next season have very good strikers either. Is he significantly worse than Cameron Jerome, Zamora, Carlton Cole, Kevin Davies and the like? I don't think believe he is. I hope he's not one of our first choice strikers next season, because even with our budget we should be able to find better, but his scoring record each season is generally a goal every 3 starts, which isn't terrible.

I've advocated us going after Boyd from Rangers for a while, because at the moment we don't have a genuine goalscorer in our squad (with the possible exception of Lovenkrands), but that won't happen and it looks like we're going to have to make the best of what we've got. Do I think Ameobi will be able to lead the line effectively next season? No. Do I think he is capable of being useful as a squad player? Yes.

yes, he cant strike a ball properly, loses possesion in key areas, gives away silly freekicks, cant dribble, cant pass, cant hold up the ball and generally contributes nothing to general play

all the highlighted have at least one of those things in the locker but at PL level shola just doesnt

fucking useless

Kevin Davies is miles better than Ameobi.

Who was the last striker to come out of the sunday league scoring goals against 3rd division standard opposition to uphole their reputation down here too ?