James McFadden

Scottish Mag

Skysports.com understands Celtic and Newcastle are monitoring James McFadden's contractual situation at Birmingham.

The talented Scotland international has a year left on his existing deal and has yet to agree an extension at St Andrews.

McFadden has proven a popular figure in the Midlands since joining Birmingham in 2008 from Everton.

Blues boss Alex McLeish would be loath to lose the talented schemer but could face competition to keep him should Celtic and Newcastle firm up initial interest.

Celtic have long-since admired the player and could test Birmingham's resolve to keep Glasgow-born McFadden with an offer in the region of £3million.

Newly promoted Newcastle are scouring the market for proven top-flight performers and may just see McFadden as an ideal addition.

A bloke I used to work with years ago raved about him when he was a toffee. Mind you, he'd have raved about my Grandma if she'd played for Everton.

His cataclysmic implosion was funny when Rooney left for Man U IIRC :o

Guest alex

I quite like him but I'd worry he's played a decent role in well-drilled sides like Everton and Birmingham and might be hung out to dry a bit here. But he'd improve the squad. Whoopy fucking doo.

I quite like him but I'd worry he's played a decent role in well-drilled sides like Everton and Birmingham and might be hung out to dry a bit here. But he'd improve the squad. Whoopy fucking doo.

Do you think there is any truth in the Cleverly and Rose rumours? Would not mind Cleverly up here even if only on loan. Will add a bit of energy to our midfield.

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from. He'd be a direct swap for Guthrie though wouldn't he?

Guthrie < McFadden is he not?

Guest alex

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from. He'd be a direct swap for Guthrie though wouldn't he?

I thought he played upfront. Have to confess to having seen very little of him last year for Birmingham though.

a few years ago I'd have said yes but as usual in the last few seasons we come in for players like this when they're on the way down, would be a slight improvement on Nolan/Smith but that's not saying a lot. He still has the odd good game and has a bit of flare but wouldn't be wild about signing him.

Edited by TicTacWoe

Strikes me as a fairly inconsistent player and I think he'd have a decent start, but soon enough he'd lose his place thanks to average to poor performances when we needed better.

I don't think he's that much cop, I think he'd be a waste of money. So I'm out.

sad that it's come to this. the majority of the board pleased to see us linked with a player we wouldn't have got at all excited about a few years back.

Guest alex
sad that it's come to this. the majority of the board pleased to see us linked with a player we wouldn't have got at all excited about a few years back.

No one's excited now :o

I know what you mean though. Daft thing is, he'll probably pick Celtic anyway.

No one's excited now :o

I know what you mean though. Daft thing is, he'll probably pick Celtic anyway.

the other sad thing is he'd probably walk into our starting eleven

Strikes me as a fairly inconsistent player and I think he'd have a decent start, but soon enough he'd lose his place thanks to average to poor performances when we needed better.

Given your predictions throughout the World Cup your opinion on footballers shouldn't count tbh :(

Given your predictions throughout the World Cup your opinion on footballers shouldn't count tbh :(

You weren't there man, you don't know.

I thought he played upfront. Have to confess to having seen very little of him last year for Birmingham though.

Oh yeah... :(