Where do you think we will finish?

Park Life

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we may finish somewhere between 14th and 17th, but don't see it as any sort of success or "consolidation", because I think that for as long as Mike Ashley owns the club, this is where we will always finish until the eventual relegation again.

14th to 17th is where I think we'll be as well.

There's a chance we could surprise though, there is quite a few weak sides in the league if we can take as many points off the likes of West Ham, Wigan, Blackpool, Wolves, West Brom, Birmingham, Stoke and Blackburn then we could feasibly finish above them all which would have us in 12th. From there Sunderland, Bolton and Fulham are there for the taking if they have poor seasons. There's 8 teams I just can't see us finishing above (Chelsea, Manure, Arse, Man Clitty, Totspurs, Everton, Liverpool, & AVilla).

I think we could win it this year lads [/deluded]

If we keep with our current rate of improvement we should score 6 against Wolves, concede negative 3 and soon catch Chelsea's for and against :)

I think we're less bad than....

Blackburn

Blackpool

West Brom

Bolton

Stoke

West Ham

Wigan

Wolverhampton

So I'm going for 12th too.

Blackburn - Wrong

Bolton - Wrong

Stoke - Wrong

West Ham - Debatable

Wigan - Debatable

Wolverhampton - Wrong

10th. Very optimistic. But with a good sense of togetherness from what the players are saying, along with a few decent signings and CH's tactics (expecting him to play 4-5-1 against stronger teams, more attacking at fortress SJP). Best feeling about the changing room atmosphere we've had since Sir Bobby days?

Its massively unlikely any team who's just won promotion would finish in the top half of the league... even if they spent shit loads of money:

Last Season's top 15:

Chelsea

Man U

Arsenal

Spurs

Man City

Villa

Liverpool

Everton

Brum

Blackburn

Stoke

Fulham

Sunderland

Bolton

Wolves

I fail to see how the Toon will finish higher than any of those teams this year.

16th-17th would represent a good season and something to build on for next year, whilst also giving the likes of Carroll another season of development and experience of playing at the top level.

I think we may finish somewhere between 14th and 17th, but don't see it as any sort of success or "consolidation", because I think that for as long as Mike Ashley owns the club, this is where we will always finish until the eventual relegation again.

You mean almost an exact repeat of the last years of FFS's reign

10th. Very optimistic. But with a good sense of togetherness from what the players are saying, along with a few decent signings and CH's tactics (expecting him to play 4-5-1 against stronger teams, more attacking at fortress SJP). Best feeling about the changing room atmosphere we've had since Sir Bobby days?

Its massively unlikely any team who's just won promotion would finish in the top half of the league... even if they spent shit loads of money:

Last Season's top 15:

Chelsea

Man U

Arsenal

Spurs

Man City

Villa

Liverpool

Everton

Brum

Blackburn

Stoke

Fulham

Sunderland

Bolton

Wolves

I fail to see how the Toon will finish higher than any of those teams this year.

16th-17th would represent a good season and something to build on for next year, whilst also giving the likes of Carroll another season of development and experience of playing at the top level.

Not that I think we will finish any higher than 15th, haven't you just contradicted yourself with Birmingham finishing in the top half the season after promotion?

Looking at the last four years the worst was 14th and the best was 7th so no, basically. And yes, that's quite a range.

I think were better than West Brom, Wigan and Blackpool.

If we get some good results at home aswel then we could get above West Ham and Wolves too... especially if we still manage to add one or two players.

15-17.

Looking at the last four years the worst was 14th and the best was 7th so no, basically. And yes, that's quite a range.

Does that make toonpack or leaze the auld boiler? :)

Home form is the most important thing. You have to be a very good side to pick up many points away from home in this league. That's why I think Ben Arfa and (if possible) Keane would be excellent signings. Win about 8 or 9 games at SJP and we're nearly home and dry.

They're both ancient but Leazes has mentioned on more than one occasion that he doesn't look his age :)

They're both ancient but Leazes has mentioned on more than one occasion that he doesn't look his age :)

Wise, is the word you were looking for :angry:

As in Dennis?

Last Season's top 15:

Chelsea

Man U

Arsenal

Spurs

Man City

Villa

Liverpool

Everton

Brum

Blackburn

Stoke

Fulham

Sunderland

Bolton

Wolves

Not that I think we will finish any higher than 15th, haven't you just contradicted yourself with Birmingham finishing in the top half the season after promotion?

I hate it when people shoot down my arguments :)

Ok its possible if you spend a reasonable amount of money and bring in some shrewd signings:

Hart - Loan

Roger Johnson - £5m

Benitez - Loan

Ferguson - £1.25m

Gardner - £3m

Michel - £3m

Still thats £12.25 million and Joe Hart on Loan (who I think played a massive part in their sucess)

So yes its possible, if somewhat unlikely :)

As in Dennis?

Worldy tbh

Does that make toonpack or leaze the auld boiler? :angry:

Wise, is the word you were looking for <_<

As in Dennis?

Ernie tbh

FYP :)

Ok its possible if you spend a reasonable amount of money and bring in some shrewd signings:

Hart - Loan

Roger Johnson - £5m

Benitez - Loan

Ferguson - £1.25m

Gardner - £3m

Michel - £3m

Still thats £12.25 million and Joe Hart on Loan (who I think played a massive part in their sucess)

Never one to be the pedant but can I also point out the magnitude of how incorrect you are:

08/09 - Stoke 12th - 5 points off 10th.

06/07 - Reading 8th

05/06 - West Ham 9th & Wigan 10th

03/04 - Pompey 13th, 5 points off 10th

02/03 - Citeh 9th & Birmingham 13th 2 points off 10th

I still don't think we will do better than 15th

Hart - Loan

Roger Johnson - £5m

Benitez - Loan

Ferguson - £1.25m

Gardner - £3m

Michel - £3m

Never one to be the pedant but can I also point out the magnitude of how incorrect you are:

08/09 - Stoke 12th - 5 points off 10th.

06/07 - Reading 8th

05/06 - West Ham 9th & Wigan 10th

03/04 - Pompey 13th, 5 points off 10th

02/03 - Citeh 9th & Birmingham 13th 2 points off 10th

I still don't think we will do better than 15th

Stoke City 08-09 season spent £30m on transfers and didnt finish in the top 10

Reading 06-07 season spent £8m on transfers

West Ham 05-06 season spent £19m on transfers, Wigan spent £9m

Going back any further is pointless as different league back on 2003

Newcastle United have spent £1m on transfers so far in 2010-2011

So looking at that i'm partically incorrect yes, but also partially correct... certainly there is no "magnitude" to how wrong I am here.

One thing is for certain is that to spend £1m after promotion does not make a top ten team.

In fact in the last 3 seasons 4 newly promoted teams out of 9 have been relegated (Burnley, WBA, Brum, Derby)... in the process Derby spent £15.5m, Brum spend £18.75m, WBA £9.25m, Burnley £12m.

So my original post might not have been spot on... but I think these stats back up the sentiment of what I was saying.

indeed.

ah. Somebody mentioning Shepherd [not forgetting the Halls]. I hope nobody accuses me of hijacking this thread. Toonpack - you are one of those who took the "anybody but Fred" angle aren't you ? I hope you are not expecting a quick return to the league positions and european qualifications achieved under the Halls and Shepherd, and yes even Shepherds last few years as chairman if you want to be pedantic about it and insist he ran the club all on his own, which of course he couldn't have done, otherwise it makes the major shareholders look like fools for allowing other people to control a multi million pound company for them single handed.

Anyway. We would not have been relegated under the Halls [and Shepherd]. Because they would not have sold over half a good premiership team and replaced them with cheaper inferior players, and they would almost certainly have taken positive action in any January transfer window if the team looked in danger.

I rest my case. I hope one day, those remaining who still can't see this, will wake up.

This sort of thing is easy for me to say btw, because unlike most others I actually did support this club when they were shite for the best part of 3 decades. A lot of people say they supported the club for evermore etc etc, but I actually did. When you did that, you should appreciate the transition from struggling massively underachieving selling club [ring any bells] to one that lived with the big boys like it should and punched its weight with them.

It's THAT easy.

Does that make toonpack or leaze the auld boiler? :angry:

No. I don't. I still have my hair too :)