The Secret Diary of Lee Ryder (aged 44 and a half)

Craig

More professionalism from Lee Ryder today, using the word "spawny" in one of his articles. It's not even a word is it?

Dunno, but some of the citations for it here are class...

Citations: 1992 Jeremy Pitt Usenet: rec.sport.soccer (Feb. 7) “Re: Bring back the attraCtiveness in World Cup”: They qualified for the semis by kicking Maradona off the pitch (so when he retaliated he got sent off) and a spawny Rossi hatrick based on defensive errors by Brazil when Italy were getting pissed on.

1994 Irvine Welsh Trainspotting (July 11) p. 96 @ (May 1, 1996): —Two fuckin aces! —Spawny bastard! You spawny fuckin cunt Renton.

1997 Bill Lecki Scottish Daily Record (Jan. 3) “Mbes Aye, Mbes Naw” p. 74: After his lucky, flukey, jammy, spawny, poxy save against us at Wembley, those initials can only stand for one thing.

1997 Mark Hodkinson Times (London, England) (Apr. 21) “Bassett’s petrified Forest seem resigned to their fate” p. 30: Many defenders does not a great defence make, as Forest discovered when Bart-Williams sliced a ball against his own post. Deane gleefully poked it into the waiting net as it rebounded along the goalline. Dave Bassett, the Forest general manager, afterwards dubbed the goal “spawny” and the epithet was accurate.

http://www.doubletongued.org/index.php/dictionary/spawny/

More professionalism from Lee Ryder today, using the word "spawny" in one of his articles. It's not even a word is it?

:lol: In a proper article? Not just his blog? Fuck me.

:lol: In a proper article? Not just his blog? Fuck me.

To be he's quoting Krul but even so, even Anal would've saved him from the indignity of having Spawny written in the paper.

BIRTHDAY boy and man of the moment Leon Best is hoping that he gets the nod to know his “enemy” a bit better in tomorrow night’s Carling Cup third round clash with Nottingham Forest.

The St Annes lad will be hoping to shake off a minor hip knock in time for the third-round clash, yet the player – who turns 25 today – has more reason than most start the game against Steve McClaren’s Trees.

Anyone would seriously think he's a YTS helping out.

He's trying to say something in that 1st sentence there :lol:

Both sentences are horrific, and while Forest's nickname is the tricky trees, nee one ever ever calls them it, and putting Steve McClaren's Trees makes it sound like something at the bottom of his garden. The second sentence proves NEE ONE copy checks what he's written, read it slowly, piss poor from the Chronicle.

Both sentences are horrific, and while Forest's nickname is the tricky trees, nee one ever ever calls them it, and putting Steve McClaren's Trees makes it sound like something at the bottom of his garden. The second sentence proves NEE ONE copy checks what he's written, read it slowly, piss poor from the Chronicle.

Aye, just re-read that. I never even knew they were called the tricky trees. I was at university down that neck of the woods and even then I've never heard of them being referred to as that. I understand that as a writer you don't want to repeat yourself too much by using "Forest" or whatever too often but when it comes out like that, it's counter-productive. We know he can't write for toffee but it's his job on a (fairly large) regional newspaper ffs. :lol:

Edited by alex

Aye, just re-read that. I never even knew they were called the tricky trees. I was at university down that neck of the woods and even then I've never heard of them being referred to as that. I understand that as a writer you don't want to repeat yourself too much by using "Forest" or whatever too often but when it comes out like that, it's counter-productive. We know he can't write for toffee but it's his job on a (fairly large) regional newspaper ffs. :lol:

It's like he wrote a sentence in English then used the thesaurus on every word without reading it back to himself.

It's like he wrote a sentence in English then used the thesaurus on every word without reading it back to himself.

:o I think that's possibly how he works tbh.

You're absolutely right. Thesaurus and wiki, which is obviously where he's got trees from. I only they're called the tricky trees because I'm a sad cunt, there's nee way he knew that in my view. Also Alex, the bit I've bolded above, I agree but you don't need a colourful imagination to find something else to call them, "the City Ground outfit", "the two time European Champions", "the scabs" etc....

How long do you reckon he can hang on to his job, can't be much longer imo. None of the fans rate him, like him or respect him? and he's clearly not up to scratch when it comes to writing articles.

Alan Oliver held on to his for 28 years under the same set of circumstances and he was a Sunderland fan.

Is Oliver a mackem? Never knew that. He's like a poor man's Alan Oliver though tbh. If that's not another oxymoron.

From Consett, so basically mackem, and grew up a massive Sunderland fan.

How long do you reckon he can hang on to his job, can't be much longer imo. None of the fans rate him, like him or respect him? and he's clearly not up to scratch when it comes to writing articles.

As long as he doesn't speak out of turn against the owners. Nothing else for it, culling is the way forward.

Is Oliver a mackem? Never knew that. He's like a poor man's Alan Oliver though tbh. If that's not another oxymoron.

I meant 'mackem' as in Sunderland fan anyway. Assumed he was from Newcastle. That comment I made about him being a clip btw when you responded about John Gibson being worse :lol: He is as well.

You're absolutely right. Thesaurus and wiki, which is obviously where he's got trees from. I only they're called the tricky trees because I'm a sad c*nt, there's nee way he knew that in my view. Also Alex, the bit I've bolded above, I agree but you don't need a colourful imagination to find something else to call them, "the City Ground outfit", "the two time European Champions", "the scabs" etc....

:lol:

Howay Stevie, proof read before you post man! :lol:

Actually, I don't think I ever heard anyone refer to Sunderland as 'the black cats' until they made it their 'official' nickname either. I realise they used to be called that, but it was years and years ago I think.

I meant 'mackem' as in Sunderland fan anyway. Assumed he was from Newcastle. That comment I made about him being a clip btw when you responded about John Gibson being worse :lol: He is as well.

The bloke truthfully dresses like a scarecrow. The thing about journalists I find though is, they seem to believe they're like some superior being to the rest of us, I've known loads and that's how I find them.

Actually, I don't think I ever heard anyone refer to Sunderland as 'the black cats' until they made it their 'official' nickname either. I realise they used to be called that, but it was years and years ago I think.

Mackem at work was trying to wind me up about having black cats on the stadium (if there's a puma logo going up) the other day. Said i didn't give a fuck about their manufactured identity. He got really defensive and started pulling out fanzines that had old programmes from the 30's in them referring to the Black Cats. Proper raw nerve with them that one.

Who was that 'Boys Own' crime fighting character in the Viz that dressed in black as a cat and always got the shit kicked out of him by the villains? :lol: Classic.

Wiki check:

Barry the Cat - a one-off parody of The Beano's acrobatic crimefighter Billy the Cat. Unlike his Beano equivalent, Barry is incompetent, hopelessly uncoordinated, and is immediately recognised despite his "cat-suit" disguise. The final panel shows him in hospital, suffering from multiple injuries, being told that he has acted "very foolishly".