The Secret Diary of Lee Ryder (aged 44 and a half)

Craig

Ryder and all local journos have to tear a new arsehole out of Pardew and the board after tonight like. They want shot with shit if not.

This....

And some of Simon Bird's ramblings. I hope to god he follows these up:

Will remind #nufc of key pardew quote. He said squad NOT stronger than last season unless sign a left back AND striker.

So simple choice. Sign a striker or leave your manager with a weaker squad. Not an easy position to defend #nufc

"The critical factor is that we get the right COUPLE of players. We've got TWO more to come." said Pardew, 11 days ago, trusting the owners.

Before Barton left and Santon signed, Pardew: "We're trying to make the club stronger. As it stands, I'd say we're not in that position yet"

Ryder and all local journos have to tear a new arsehole out of Pardew and the board after tonight like. They want shot with shit if not.

This, Lee if you are reading do your fucking duty sonna.

This one's worth a re-post:

Football logic or business logic?

Ask any Newcastle United fan right now what is on their mind at the moment and the answer could be a "left-back" and a "striker".

Then there is the money question...

Where is it? No, not the £35million, the now advanced kitty of over £40million following summer sales of Kevin Nolan and Jose Enrique.

Yes, go anywhere on Tyneside at the moment and those concerns are everywhere.

In a nutshell it would appear that Newcastle United, despite the influx of French players coming in, are simply not ready to spend big money on tried and tested players.

With no official statements from Mike Ashley or fellow directors so far, fans have been left to assume what the plan is, if there is a plan.

Back in February when the accounts were released, the word from NUFC was that the club wanted to be in a position in which it "could wipe its own nose."

So basically, the club is heading for an operational status in which Ashley no longer needs to inject his own money into the overall running costs.

In theory, well business theory, that may well work.

But football has its own theories.

In short, they are about winning games, keeping clean sheets and scoring goals.

If the price on the ticket is to pay a centre-forward who knows the Premier League say £65,000-£80,000 per week then in reality that is what you have to do to be prepared for a season in the top flight and keep fans (customers) content to the extent that they want to buy a season ticket.

Back in 1997, Newcastle fans celebrated into the night after qualifying for the Champions League for the first time with Shearer, Asprilla, Ginola, Lee and Beardsley on their books to name but a few.

In 2012 they won't be celebrating if the team finishes 14th and the club break even in the financial stakes.

Throw some money at the situation and the current regime will be rocked by exactly how St James' Park will come alive if the club surges up the table like it did in the 1990s and like it did in the early Noughties under Sir Bobby Robson.

That may sound oh so simple, but to do the above you need to purchase the required quality to do it and at the moment (Aug 18 with 13 days to go in the transfer window) that has to be questionable.

To be heading into the second game of the season against Sunderland without a first choice left-back certainly has to be deemed as a flaw in the current approach given the fixtures have been known since June.

The striker issue is even more frustrating for fans given Andy Carroll was sold in January.

As the club blueprint is yet to be aired in public, we are entitled to come to our own conclusions.

The conclusion thus far can only be that United don't seem to be prepared to go past a certain salary, given Erik Pieters is reported in Holland to want £30,000 per week and doesn't look like coming anytime soon.

And that the days of transfer fees over £5million (like Cabaye) are over at least for now.

Until we hear otherwise that is...

Source: http://www.blogonthetyne.co.uk/2011/08/foo...7IPGEMo.twitter

Today's imput from him...

Lee Ryder's take on deadline day disappointment for NUFC

Read More http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-u...r#ixzz1Wh8ooUYp

WE were asked to judge the exact state of Newcastle United's squad on September 1.

Well, with business done and dusted until January the Magpies will bravely step forward into the new season with the No 9 shirt still vacant, precious little cover in the centre-back department and just a handful of absences away from an injury crisis.

In short, it can only described as risky business and definitely a case of deja vu on deadline day.

Once again the feeling of emptiness was a predominant feature on Tyneside as Geordie fans faced up to another period of getting through some high-octane Premier League matches without a proven, tried and tested goalscorer.

True enough the additions of Davide Santon, Sylvain Marveaux, Demba Ba, Yohan Cabaye, Gabriel Obertan, back-up goalie Rob Elliot and young gun Mehdi Abeid have bolstered the squad to an extent, and the board may well feel they have backed their manager.

The best start to the season since 1995/96, a great win over Sunderland and progress in the Carling Cup goes nicely with good form from Yohan Cabaye and the promise of Santon on his fellow foreign colleagues, but is that going to be enough to really push on this season?

Just like Jim Bowen on Bullseye would say it was a case of “Let’s have a look at what you could have won” for the Toon Army in their bid for a striker with fans up in arms today at the deeply, desperately disappointing end to the summer window.

They were all linked Peter Crouch, Nicklas Bendtner, Craig Bellamy, Modibo Maiga, Papiss Demba Cissé, Danny Sturridge, Gervinho, Kevin Gameiro and Jermain Defoe – but even with the lure of playing at St James’ Park every week, the Magpies couldn’t get one of them into the nest.

Even with EIGHT months to find a player worthy of donning the sacred No 9 shirt.

The frustration for Toon fans is that not only do they feel that the near £50m recoupment from Andy Carroll, Kevin Nolan and Jose Enrique wasn’t spent, but they feel that having been given assurances of a striker coming in, that it was only a matter of time.

But not for the first transfer window, a late bid for FC Twente forward Bryan Ruiz came to nothing.

It had sickening shades of the night when Carroll was flogged to Liverpool and talk of Charles N’Zogbia failed to come off.

Yet it was the same old story – it wasn’t all right on the night.

Here we find ourselves at the same crossroads again from a black-and-white point of view, Newcastle United end another transfer window after leaving themselves with too much to do before the window slams shut.

And just for good measure no real explanation from anybody.

No striker over the line once more is the bug bear, the number 9 shirt lies vacant and once again it will be up to others to step up to the plate when it comes to leading the line after Newcastle fail to land the tried and tested, proven striker which would have given fans the assurances they needed.

It's an all too familiar tale for United fans as they found themselves on the end of another kick in the teeth on transfer deadline day – even if seven players have came through the door at St James' Park this summer.

Just 24 hours earlier the signing of Inter Milan star Santon had been celebrated by many of the United faithful and rightly so, this was a real coup for the club.

More to come at that stage could have easily helped Toon fans build up some momentum after what has been a cracking start to the season and maybe fill those 10,000 empty seats.

But then didn’t that seem too straight-forward?

Surely this was a great opportunity for the United board to capitalise on that and bring in a striker of some ilk and one that Geordie punters can hang their hat on?

No.

Rather more a case of taking some of the gloss off the addition of the young Italian international Santon and placing a huge question mark above a Newcastle strike force of whom none managed to break into double figures last season.

If Toon fans felt empty when Carroll was sold in January, then the feeling now has to be considered just as bad if not worse.

The reason Carroll wasn't replaced in January was frustrating but at least there was tiny bit of understanding with such a huge fee coming the way of the Magpies.

A £35m bid was too good to turn down in the eyes of some and while the annoyance of seeing Newcastle as a selling club once again kicked into play, anybody could see the predicament of having just a few hours left to try to bring in a replacement eventually turning to veteran Finn Shefki Kuqi.

Terms along the lines of “no capital outlay” and “investment back into the club” have been wheeled out in the past which, on the evidence of previous windows, equates to, bringing in players on the cheap.

Having experienced that bitter feeling once and the backlash and uncertain Premier League run-in that followed, surely the priority this summer was to ensure that Newcastle didn't find themselves in the same situation?

It’s a situation that you can only consider to be a gamble and a huge one at that.

Fans understand that these are testing times in the financial world and nobody wants to see the Magpies go the same way as a Portsmouth, Leeds or West Ham and into financial meltdown.

But if skills pay the bills, goals win the games, and without a No 9 who possesses a proven Premier League track record, it could be tough.

Toon fans will do exactly what they always do and back the team to the hilt, just like they did long before the days of Mike Ashley in the old Second Division and on obscure away days to Oxford, Luton and Cambridge.

That never changes.

The current squad will get all the backing they need and the seven new boys plus the returning figures of Dan Gosling and Hatem Ben Arfa will be welcomed back with open arms.

Yet the policy of the Magpies continues to be in question and doesn’t lie easy with fans.

Bringing in players from the cheaper market of France is a clear money saver from United who have spent the summer enticed by the pursuit of a bargains but only delivered Demba Ba to bolster the attack.

Just like Gosling last year, this time around it was players such as Neil Taylor of Swansea after a bid to activate a £1m release clause did not pay off and in the case of Erik Pieters the move didn’t happen over the haggling of the £6m fee.

It was the pursuit of footballers using a technique and logic that applies to running a business. Surely it is football logic, not business logic, which wins matches?

Why leave it so late? Why not splash out on a striker?

Why not speculate to accumulate?

Once again, more questions than answers.

:clapping: He's such a bad writer. He sets the tone of the article--there are huge question marks over our squad and how we will fare this season--and then he starts throwing in Jim Bowen references and phrases like, "well if the skills pay the bills."

I think there is a reason he formats his writing the way he does.

It's because every sentence takes approximately 97% of his brain power to compose.

He has to take a 10 minute break between each sentence or he'd go into a coma.

He obviously didn't make it all the way to Homo Erectus.

Edited by Kevin S. Assilleekunt

He nearly makes a good point about the empty seats. If a deal for a striker fell down because we were £2m short of the asking price, the goodwill generated by that purchase (+ the good start) probably would have paid for itself with better attendances.

I didnt quite pull it off either tbf.

It was a shite (actually, worse than that, it was reeking) article, but it got the point across: the board have once again failed to deliver on promises.

I hope 30k show up for our next home game. That might clench the fat cunt's sphincters a bit, but I doubt it. There's still plenty of money left to be made from this squad.

Actually, what I really hope is that we spend 90 minutes chanting "Where's the money gone?" or variations thereof vs. Blackburn. That'd get national media coverage, if nothing else.

I hope 30k show up for our next home game. That might clench the fat cunt's sphincters a bit, but I doubt it. There's still plenty of money left to be made from this squad.

That's the point really. The only way we can make him sit up and take notice is to speak with our feet. But as soon as we do that we can kiss goodbye to any player remotely worth anything...

The Fat Rapist knows exactly what he's doing. By the time our next home game comes around the anger and disappointment will have subsided.

If it wasn't for letting the bairn down I'd be canceling my direct debit today, seething about the whole thing, then the removal of the name on the stand is the final kick in the teeth.

Edited by Jusoda Kid

That's the point really. The only way we can make him sit up and take notice is to speak with our feet. But as soon as we do that we can kiss goodbye to any player remotely worth anything...

isn't that already the reality? maybe a few 30k attendances in february would have ultimately led to enrique and barton sticking around

isn't that already the reality? maybe a few 30k attendances in february would have ultimately led to enrique and barton sticking around

I think reduced attendances would expediate our decent players being shoved out the door. We reduce the income by not putting cash through the turnstiles and he's simply find another way to generate revenue.

I think reduced attendances would expediate our decent players being shoved out the door. We reduce the income by not putting cash through the turnstiles and he's simply find another way to generate revenue.

He's basically taking too great a risk on his asset at that point though. I appreciate he's done that before btw but the result of that was anything but a means of generating revenue for him. I think he's learned his lesson in that respect (purely because the bottom line is all he's arsed about at the end of the day).

They're going to be shipped out regardless though, aren't they.

Ive (well N.E. Pointinthis has) asked for him to discuss the signage disgrace . .

Lee Ryder:

The information is that there will be a brand new sign going up there. But I wouldn't rule out some advertising too, that is unconfirmed.

Surely any additional money coming into the club has to be deemed a good thing providing it is going into the team of course.

YOURE NOT ADRESSING THE POINT LEE YOU EMBARRASSINGLY SUBSERVIANT FUCKING TWAT !

Edited by LoveTheBobby

Lee Ryder: The information is that there will be a brand new sign going up there. But I wouldn't rule out some advertising too, that is unconfirmed.

Surely any additional money coming into the club has to be deemed a good thing providing it is going into the team of course.

FFS, if it has even dawned on us mere mortals that it's unlikely that SD are paying for their advertising then surely the chief sports reporter should have caught on.

Lee Ryder: The information is that there will be a brand new sign going up there. But I wouldn't rule out some advertising too, that is unconfirmed.

FFS, if it has even dawned on us mere mortals that it's unlikely that SD are paying for their advertising then surely the chief sports reporter should have caught on.

I thought it was revealed that NUFC were paying for the SD signage to be put up, rather than the other way round.

After all, it is entirely to benefit NUFC that we showcase the advertising space.[/Llambias]

Its not clear or conclusive but the wording in the accounts suggests a payment was made to SD from NUFC in relation to 'marketing' in 2008. Not sure if that payment is repeated.

We'd need a breakdown of the sponsorship 'line' from the accounts. We can see trends in it but not changes in individual components. Also, if the space was not used commercially before (ie the back of a seat, it would be difficult to work out even when broken down).

From 2009.

'During the current and prior year, advertising and promotional services were provided to companies associated with Mr M J W Ashley, the ultimate shareholder of the company’s ultimate parent undertaking, MASH Holdings Limited. No consideration was paid or payable for these services.'

1:45 [Comment From LeeLee: ]

Why do you put positive spin on everything, contrary to the feelings amongst fans? For example "Pardew will not walk away and is not a quitter" is just positive spin for "yes man" (as we all feared upon appointment)?

1:47 Lee Ryder: Hi Lee. In a nutshell, I don't. There were critical articles in the aftermath of the transfer deadline and also on Blog On The Tyne which has always done so in the last five years. As chief sports writer, the role also includes general reporting and generally, Pardew and the players will try to be positive, we can only report what they say from that sense. I don't think Pardew is a "yes man" and the days of managers like Clough and Ferguson ruling football clubs are out of date. Clubs are ran as a business now with business logic wrongly sometimes coming before football logic.