Aston Villa boss O'Neill prepared to sell Milner

Craig

KK vindicated :icon_lol:

Aston Villa boss O'Neill prepared to sell Milner

Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill says he is prepared to sell James Milner after the player expressed his desire to leave the club.

The England World Cup midfielder, 24, who joined Villa from Newcastle for £12m in 2008, was subject of a rejected £20m bid from Manchester City in May.

"I had a conversation with James before the World Cup and he intimated that he'd like to go," said O'Neill.

"I'd imagine things will be resolved in the foreseeable future."

The Villa boss added: "City made an offer but it did not meet our valuation.

"I'm sure matters will be resolved soon. James is back next week having had extended holiday."

Should Milner leave for Eastlands then it would be the second high-profile midfielder to leave the Midlands club for their rivals in two seasons, following Gareth Barry's £12m transfer to Manchester City last season.

City manager Roberto Mancini said this week that Milner remained on his shopping list, but that he did not want his club's spending power to be exploited by their competitors.

"When Manchester City want to buy a player, other clubs ask much more than is normal," stated the Italian.

"This is not good and it is not right. Until today, it is only City that are moving the market.

"We have bought three good players already. But now Inter Milan, for example, are asking a lot of money for striker Mario Balotelli, and we want to wait.

"We are interested in good players like Balotelli and Milner but we have time before the market closes in August. We have a lot of different choices."

Meanwhile, O'Neill's Villa have been linked with West Ham midfielder Scott Parker if Milner leaves.

West Ham co-owner David Sullivan said this week: "Aston Villa will not have enough money to tempt us to sell Scott Parker - he really is not for sale."

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...lla/8845624.stm

or shows that Milner will leave when he wants no matter what contract.

Still don't think he is worth that amount though.

well yeah he's probably worth more like what Aston Villa paid for him from us, and I'd say Man City are well aware of that but they'll have to pay over the odds for everyone with everyone else aware of their financial backing.

What were City rumoured to have offered? Was it £24m? Ridiculous money for a player of his ability imo.

aye but if they go after a player who IS worth 24 million they'll have to pay 40 million for him.

Also, with Milner they've got a more reliable signing in that he's unlikely to have trouble settling in wheras the likes of Silva might want to fuck off back to Spain after 6 months if things arnt going well.

I just don't ever see Milner becoming a top class player, plus if he doesn't hit the ground running at City he could find himself stuck on the sidelines.

Totally agree. It's getting ridiculous with these transfer fees for English players. I'd say his real value is about 15m tops now he has a few more caps.

I just don't ever see Milner becoming a top class player, plus if he doesn't hit the ground running at City he could find himself stuck on the sidelines.

Totally agree. It's getting ridiculous with these transfer fees for English players. I'd say his real value is about 15m tops now he has a few more caps.

he's not worth it. Madness.

It would be an amazing bit of business if he went for anywhere near 30 mill. He's a good hard working player but I don't think even Man City would pay that amount of money for him. Though they're very different players I wouldn't have the value of Milner any higher than Adam Johnson who is also a year younger.

I think Villa will be buggered without him though, Sidwell looks to be leaving, Reo Coker is a bet meh, and O'Neill was talking about McGeady the other day which wouldn't be the best of moves I don't think.

And apparently West Ham won't sell Parker at all.

Hopefully this will mean we get a decent lump of cash off Villa.

There's no sell on clause.

I think there was but we took cash instead a year or so back

Guest Gordon McKeag

Aston Villa have been punching above their weight since O'Neill went in there anyway, he's taken them as far as he or anyone else can in my opinion.

Aston Villa have been punching above their weight since O'Neill went in there anyway, he's taken them as far as he or anyone else can in my opinion.

Did you see saggy face was saying Spurs will win the league the other day?

And people talk about Newcastle being deluded. :icon_lol:

“I think we could contend for the title,” he said. “We have got the players here. We have got to aim for it. We could win the championship – it is not impossible. Someone has to do it sometime. It cannot all just be Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/...ague-title.html

Dunno why he included Liverpool either. They've not won a title in 20 year.

Might have well as included Blackburn.

Edited by Happy Face

As a wide player he’s patently not quick enough, nor does he have good enough technique. I foresee him becoming a low rent lampard, i.e. shooting from range and box to box. He also doesn’t have great defensive ability. So a slow, not great technically, wayward shooting attacking midfielder. Worth about £9m as he’s English and 4.5 if he’s foreign.

all of this despite him having a good season for villa last season.

What were City rumoured to have offered? Was it £24m? Ridiculous money for a player of his ability imo.

I suppose they've got money to burn but ever since he was linked with them initially I've thought £20m+ is a lot for someone that will essentially be a squad / utility player (which is what he'll be if they achieved their ambitions or even get close to that). Also think somone like Stephen Ireland, who they appear to be prepared to sell are, is as good as Milner in CM, which is Milner's best position anyway.

Could we in fact lose money if Milner joins City?

I.E we won't get appearance money from Villa after so many games.

No. We got £12m rather than £8m when we agreed to forfeit any future clauses.

Good business at the time.

Citeh have so many players that I'd think that a swop would be in Villa's interest rather than cash only. I'd ask for Ireland and perhaps Bellamy or Richards plus cash.

Or even a straight deal of Milner for all three wouldn't be a bad for both clubs.

• 4 weeks later...

I can't for the life of me, excluding the small matter of money, see why James Milner would want to go to Man City? Going there in my opinion will slow his development and affect his role in the English side. He's certain to get many less minutes at Man City where they're stacked with midfielders. I don't like Villa but at least there he was guaranteed a starting role.

Bad for the league as well when good players continue to go to the same teams where many sit and rot away while lesser teams drop in quality as a result.

Citeh have so many players that I'd think that a swop would be in Villa's interest rather than cash only. I'd ask for Ireland and perhaps Bellamy or Richards plus cash.

Apparently Ireland was offered in the deal but Villa baulked at his wage demands.