Ben Arfa

ChezGiven

Jonas is right footed anyways so it's hardly a big deal for him to switch to his correct side.

And drop Routledge? Unlikely...If anythin Routledge offers more than Gutierrez...but thats my point, CH wont drop anyone imo.

Ashley will cleverly avert this potential problem by not signing Ben Arfa in the end :D

We're back in for Cleverley now? :D

:rolleyes:

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His comments first refer to the player and then he says there has been no contact. Linguistically the subject of the second part is the subject of the first.

Saying there has been no contact with the player means nothing. The president of l'OM has said there will be a meeting on friday. My guess is that the player didnt want to be completing a transfer whilst playing for a new national manager after the team was a national disgrace.

Hughton has come out and said we arent getting him...

He told Sky Sports News: "There isn't anything. We are aware of the speculation and that he has been linked to us but he is very much a Marseille player. There hasn't been any direct contact."

meaning that negotiations could be between us and Marseille, and the players agent, but not directly with the player as he’s a Marseille player — and probably non of our negotiating team could speak the lingo anyway.

Hughton is following club policy of saying nowt to anyone, but is in danger of falling into another club policy — of being a liar at any given moment — "There isn't anything” — hmmm.

Marseille have got him in he shop window tonight so anything could happen (it’s on ESPN tonight I believe).

Edited by Giraffidae

Fuck it, I always feel optimistic start of a season, I can't help myself.

ha, i wonder if you'll be saying the same thing at 10pm on monday

:lol: I know what you mean.

Common sense says we should all be pessimistic and truth be told there's no reason to be anything other than downbeat, and I've been like that pretty much myself. But strangely the beginning of the season comes round and I really look forward to it regardless.

Seems clear as to why Marseille called off the meeting, between ourselves and their representatives. That's if there's base to Caulkin's tweeter and other reports.

After the disjointed showing at the WC [no width, little in the way of pattern of play] France are at a crossing point: generational change being one. They'll be going through an experimental phase.

If the fanfare was to be believe the kid is likely to get a look in over the coming quaification campaigns. It was the perfect opportunity to put him in the shop window, with the aim being to attract a club [which the lad would be willing to go to] willing to pay a transfer fee palatable to their valuation as opposed to having to negotiate/squabble with a club over a loan fee or something along similar lines.

Good move on Marseille's part, as the brainstrust of Ashley/Llambarse are trying to take the piss out of them

Edited by Year Zero

According to some France based journo who writes for WSC L'Equipe are saying that he's adamant he wants to move to our gaff, he's willing to fight for it and contrary to Hughton's claims we have spoken to him and offered him a central playmaking role.

I still havent given up on this.

Cant get my head round Year Zero's point of view either. Its L'OM pissing about delaying things so that they could get him in front of the national and internatonal TV cameras against Norway to try and get more bids but thats us taking the piss out of them? Not sure i get that.

Cant get my head round Year Zero's point of view either. Its L'OM pissing about delaying things so that they could get him in front of the national and internatonal TV cameras against Norway to try and get more bids but thats us taking the piss out of them? Not sure i get that.

I think the frustration comes from the fact we're not bidding from him outright but then it was always clear we were never going to spend much if any cash this transfer window. Marseille are the ones playing funny buggers and moving the goalposts, not us. On Saturday we had a deal agreed and then when the bid for Diang came in suddenly they decided they might want to keep him.

Our best chance of signing him is for HBA to throw a massive strop which is likely given his history.

I think you missed the point, or perhaps i should've spelt it out more clearly, about OM hoping that a club [willing to pay a respectable transfer fee, relative to their valuation, a club that might prove just as or more attractive to the lad] might materialise with a firm interest between now and the close of the transfer window.

I think you underestimate the significance of the game even though it is a match against a lower tier international side in Norway, from a scouting perspective anyway. Managers & scouts [at top clubs] are more interested in how a youngster fares [how their physical & technical attributes come to the fore] when they're surrounded with good/top players [with pace & movement, and whether or not they have it in them to take the bull by the scruff of the neck when they're surrounded by players with bigger reputations ie. if they're a shrinking violet or not] regardless as to whether it's versus Brazil, Norway or Luxembourg.

Edited by Year Zero

I think you missed the point, or perhaps i should've spelt it out more clearly, about OM hoping that a club [willing to pay a respectable transfer fee, relative to their valuation, a club that might prove just as or more attractive to the lad] might materialise with a firm interest between now and the close of the transfer window.

I think you underestimate the significance of the game even though it is a match against a lower tier international side in Norway, from a scouting perspective anyway. Managers & scouts [at top clubs] are more interested in how a youngster fares [how their physical & technical come to the fore] when they're surrounded with good/top players [with pace & movement, whether or not they have it in them to take the bull by the scruff of the neck when they're surrounded by players with bigger reputations ie. if they're a shrinking violet or not] regardless as to whether it's versus Brazil, Norway or Luxembourg.

Thats all true but as Ketsbaia said, we had the deal agreed and then the offer has come in for Niang and now they have the money to get Fabiano without selling Ben Arfa.

Its obviously a tricky situation and if we dont want to risk 7/8m on a player who may flop (for reasons outside his talent, thats not in question) then a loan with a view to buy seems sensible. As thats the only deal we have been prepared to look at, not sure we are taking the piss.

I agree that his goal last night makes it less likely he will come, however if the player himself is set on coming then we just need to hold our nerve.