Photography

JawD

I know a few on here are into Photography. So I thought I'd start a thread for throwing a few up. Not just images of the north east as in the other thread.

Currently I use a Nikon D3000. Have the 55mm kit lens, 105mm fixed macro and a 70-300mm telephoto. I use the trekpod mono/tripod. Also about to get myself a coken filter set. I have a polarising filter but need a 0.6 ND filter so I can get into more landscape stuff.

4237759292_a10ffe4dae.jpg

4666504225_72a47fbbb5_z.jpg

4747251990_2e4f28776c_z.jpg

4755809744_60dec59ccc_z.jpg

4823571277_95bee289c5_z.jpg

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's something I've always wanted to really get into. At the moment I can't afford to buy any decent equipment.

I've spent about £1500 on my current set up. But you dont ahve to have a DSLR to have good images. I've seen some cracking images just taken with iPhones. Its more about the composition of the image.

not into it but nice to see good pics like these. HF usually puts together a canny snap aswell.

I must confess to taking lots of pictures on the Iphone and just basically catching stuff as it happens. I currently have about 1500 snaps on the phone, the latest being two hedgehogs either fucking or fighting.

2nd one down is proper sinister btw

Not sure if it was intentional but it looks like its out of a western.

We subscribe to a digital photography magazine (http://www.photoradar.com/photography-magazines) which is useful for learning new techniques plus they have a photograph of the year competition which is good for giving you a kick up the arse and ideas for new shoots, I've not been out for ages and spent some time with the camera but when I next do then Im going to play around with HDR techiques.

It's something I've always wanted to really get into. At the moment I can't afford to buy any decent equipment.

I've spent about £1500 on my current set up. But you dont ahve to have a DSLR to have good images. I've seen some cracking images just taken with iPhones. Its more about the composition of the image.

Exactly.

2J, film cameras are a fraction of the price they were and ebay is full of bargains, recently I bought a medium format (120) fujica for less than a quarter of the price it was new 10 years ago.

All my stills cameras are film rangefinders which, as long as you don't want to shoot "action" photography, in my opinion nothing comes close.

F1020003.jpg

F1020025.jpg

F1010007.jpg

CNV00018.jpg

CNV00028.jpg

CNV00005.jpg

F1020004.jpg

F1050025.jpg

F1000024.jpg

The above were shot with either one of these:

voigtlander bessa l with a 15mm lense.

And the others with this:

Konica Hexar

We subscribe to a digital photography magazine (http://www.photoradar.com/photography-magazines) which is useful for learning new techniques plus they have a photograph of the year competition which is good for giving you a kick up the arse and ideas for new shoots, I've not been out for ages and spent some time with the camera but when I next do then Im going to play around with HDR techiques.

Not meant to be out of a western like :unsure:

The shot is from up in thye cheviots when there was low cloud. I wanted to capture the outlines of the people at the cairn but also increased the colour contrast in the foreground.

Great shots there Sammy. Great examples of good composition. I like looking at other people's images at it kinda gives me a creative hoof up the arse.

@HF Im impressed with focus on the bugs like. Its the one thing I've really struggled with. I have a 105mm macro which is manual focus only. I tend to take 10-20 images of one subject and maybe 10% have the focus I want. Its hard to appreciate that until you are standing there trying to get the image and your breathing alone take the subject in and out of focus.

I was thinking Wickerman-esque to be honest.

I have been into photography for the past couple of years and still learning. Here are a few of mine:

4800294967_9cac6e62d9.jpg

4810797219_9e35f2f5d1.jpg

3333721962_b255a1a285.jpg

What site do you use for posting your images?

Edited by AmericanMag

I've been into Photography for a good few years, ever since I started using Photoshop and the like really. Only got myself a DSLR a week ago, though, and still learning the basics! There are some great photos in this thread, and don't be surprised if I end up sending you a private message asking how you went about getting them!

Anywhoo, suppose I better add a few of my own:

img223012tonemapped.jpg

4818112627_d9d7b99f57_b.jpg

dogsayshi.jpg

(Ach, apologies for the size! Shall resize them..)

Edited by Nyff

Was one of the first ones I took after getting the camera. Knew how to do little more than put it in B&W, and saw that beggar almost perfectly framed by the arches. Was taken in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

@AmericanMag - I use Flickr - I'm also in a few groups in Flickr, I use it mainly to get critique on my shots. Best way to learn imo. Nice shots from you as well. I'm still after some good water-type shots using the long shutter as you did there. I've just ordered a 2stop ND filter as well. Also a nice silhouette shot. Good stuff.

@Nyff I love that beggar shot, fantastic image all round. I'd have probably cropped the street pic a little to cut out the lines, great composition though.

@KD Its a canny shot just a shame it was with the phone. you can get good shots with phones though. would look even better if the sky can more contrast. If its an iphone then some apps may do that.

I took this one on my phone. Not the best quality but I like it!

a5a410a0.jpg

I can understand why you've taken it like you have (to get the rainbow in) but it's an example of where the composition needs working on. Basic rule is to work in horizontal thirds with the pitch, the stand and then sky each taking up an equal share of the photo. Although in your case you're pretty restricted to location where you take the photo so it could be difficult to adjust.

Was in Next the other day and they had one of those fancy boxed canvas pics of Bamburgh Castle. Colours were amazing and pointed out to my lass who replied "shite composition". They'd put the castle on the extreme lower right of the picture and the rest was sky and sea of the approximate proportions 2/3 sky, 1/3 sea. They hadn't even bothered with any of the dunes.

It's just a guide though. Sometimes you get a fantastic photo that breaks those conventions.

Oh aye, I'm not saying it's a hard and fast rule. My step-mam bought a DSLR recently which tells you when you've got the composition wrong! :unsure:

I took this one on my phone. Not the best quality but I like it!

a5a410a0.jpg

I can understand why you've taken it like you have (to get the rainbow in) but it's an example of where the composition needs working on. Basic rule is to work in horizontal thirds with the pitch, the stand and then sky each taking up an equal share of the photo. Although in your case you're pretty restricted to location where you take the photo so it could be difficult to adjust.

Was in Next the other day and they had one of those fancy boxed canvas pics of Bamburgh Castle. Colours were amazing and pointed out to my lass who replied "shite composition". They'd put the castle on the extreme lower right of the picture and the rest was sky and sea of the approximate proportions 2/3 sky, 1/3 sea. They hadn't even bothered with any of the dunes.

There you go. 3rd pitch, 3rd stand, 3rd rainbow

3c18eae2.jpg