Islamophobia in the US

Happy Face

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Extremists are the least religious. Killing people and that isn't devout.

Are you being ironic? Moses slayed thousands under direct orders from the big man, according to scripture.

The Muslim foundational documents, the hadith - which are considered of equal canonical authority to the Koran - say if someone becomes an apostate, leaves or changes their religion, they must be killed. Is that one a metaphor? There doesn't seem to be much wiggle room there.* Hitchens

The earliest religions involved a fair bit of cannibalism and slaughter to propitiate the almighty.

You're being far too charitable to the devout in your assessment.

Baroness Warsi says Muslim prejudice seen as normal

Prejudice against Muslims has "passed the dinner-table test" and become socially acceptable in the UK, a senior Conservative is to say.

Baroness Warsi, co-chairman of the Tory Party, will warn against dividing Muslims into moderates and extremists.

The baroness, the first Muslim woman to serve in the cabinet, will say such labels fuel misunderstanding.

She will use a speech at Leicester University to accuse the media of superficial discussion of Islam.

Baroness Warsi will say anti-Muslim prejudice is now seen by many Britons as normal and uncontroversial, and she will use her position to fight an "ongoing battle against bigotry".

In extracts of the speech, published in the Daily Telegraph, the peer blames "the patronising, superficial way faith is discussed in certain quarters, including the media", for making Britain a less tolerant place for believers.

She is expected to reveal that she raised the issue of Islamophobia with Pope Benedict XVI during his visit to Britain last year, urging him to "create a better understanding between Europe and its Muslim citizens".

'Social rejection'

The BBC's religious affairs correspondent Robert Pigott said Baroness Warsi is to say publicly what many Muslims privately complain about - that prejudice against them does not attract the social stigma attached to prejudice against other religious and ethnic groups.

"Lady Warsi has broached the issue before," Robert Pigott says.

"She told the 2009 Conservative Party conference that anti-Muslim hatred had become Britain's last socially acceptable form of bigotry, and claimed in a magazine article last October that taking a pop at the Muslim community in the media sold papers and didn't really matter."

In her speech, she is expected to say the description of Muslims as either moderate or extremist encourages false assumptions.

"It's not a big leap of imagination to predict where the talk of 'moderate' Muslims leads; in the factory, where they've just hired a Muslim worker, the boss says to his employees: 'Not to worry, he's only fairly Muslim'," she will say.

"In the school, the kids say: 'The family next door are Muslim but they're not too bad'.

"And in the road, as a woman walks past wearing a burka, the passers-by think: 'That woman's either oppressed or is making a political statement'."

Baroness Warsi will say terror offences committed by a small number of Muslims should not be used to condemn all who follow Islam.

But she will also urge Muslim communities to be clearer about their rejection of those who resort to violent acts.

"Those who commit criminal acts of terrorism in our country need to be dealt with not just by the full force of the law," she will say.

"They also should face social rejection and alienation across society and their acts must not be used as an opportunity to tar all Muslims."

Asked about Baroness Warsi's speech, a No 10 spokesman said she was expressing the view that there needed to be a debate "about the issue of radicalisation in Great Britain and terrorism".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12235237

The actions of some muslims should not tar all muslims....but those few can't be labelled extremists.

She wants the moon on a stick.

I know I shouldn't, but I will anyway. :D

The way she's using 'moderates' and 'extremists' is wrong and is obscuring her real point. In what's quoted above, she's referring to the, how do I put this, religiosity of people by talking about moderates and extremists. She's trying to say that there's an incorrect tendency to associate peaceful and law-abiding Muslims with Muslims who aren't particularly devoted to their religion, and that sharia advocates, terrorists, etc (those we would label as 'extremists') are those who show high devotion to the religion; therefore, the obvious correlation is that Islam is in fact an inherently radical religion, since those who don't adhere very strongly to it don't have problems integrating into society, while those who do show strong devotion to Islam end up marching in the streets in Bradford.

Obviously this is an incorrect correlation, which is what she's trying to make clear, but doing a bad job of. You will find plenty of political moderates and people who have integrated just fine into Western society while still keeping strict adherence to Islam.

The main point, which is that anti-Muslim bias is mostly given a hand-wave in the UK is one that I don't think I'm qualified to talk on. I haven't spent great lengths of time in England for a long time now, and when I do go back, I associate with people, mostly family members, who obviously don't have any problems with Muslims. But I will say that in my experience on this board, and I'm not talking about Leazes or sniffer or any of the other obviously problematic individuals who have axes to grind (in the former case) or don't have a fucking clue (in the latter case), derogatory comments about Muslims seem both more commonplace and more acceptable then comments about other races or religions.

Three years living in Bradford gave me plenty of insight mohammed. Having a knife held to my throat by half a dozen pakis because their sister wanted to out with me also helped me formulate an opinion.

Three years living in Bradford gave me plenty of insight mohammed. Having a knife held to my throat by half a dozen pakis because their sister wanted to out with me also helped me formulate an opinion.

Spare me your life story tbh. I couldn't give two shits about what the bad brown people did to you. Is that why you act the internet hardman? To make up for how your courage went running down your leg that day? :D While you were getting 'insight' in Bradford, you might've learned how to use commas, too. Great craic, too, man. 'Mohammed', never heard that one before.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/20...oral-blind-spot

I didn't read this article in its entirety, because reading this sort of garbage makes me nauseous. It is a good example of the mindset of the idiots who populate the 'left' in this country (they are really conservative in nature) and are afraid to give religions the criticism they deserve, in case they offend someone foreign. That would be awful.

Take this sentence for example:

"This is also why the growing idea that there is in this country such a thing as Christianophobia – an equivalent to Islamophobia – is such total nonsense."

These people live in a warped reality that cannot be reconciled with the world I see around me. I don't believe that lots of people in Britain have dinner parties and sit round talking about Islam. I've never heard anyone talk about an idea of 'Christianophobia' - when it's put in those terms, you see how ridiculous the concept really is. He even admits this but cannot apply the same logic to Islam. I'd call that a blind-spot. The writer is a christian himself, and clearly displays his problems with thinking in a coherent and rational manner.

Spare me your life story tbh. I couldn't give two shits about what the bad brown people did to you. Is that why you act the internet hardman? To make up for how your courage went running down your leg that day? :D While you were getting 'insight' in Bradford, you might've learned how to use commas, too. Great craic, too, man. 'Mohammed', never heard that one before.

ah, life in multicultural Britain today, among these peaceful and successfully integrated British muslims.

Extremists are the least religious. Killing people and that isn't devout.

Are you being ironic? Moses slayed thousands under direct orders from the big man, according to scripture.

The Muslim foundational documents, the hadith - which are considered of equal canonical authority to the Koran - say if someone becomes an apostate, leaves or changes their religion, they must be killed. Is that one a metaphor? There doesn't seem to be much wiggle room there.* Hitchens

The earliest religions involved a fair bit of cannibalism and slaughter to propitiate the almighty.

You're being far too charitable to the devout in your assessment.

I don't believe leaders of religion are devout. I'd say they were pious. They mislead the devout for their own ends. If the pope believed in god he'd know he's going to hell for running a paedo racket.

You don't have to follow a centuries old book to the letter to be devout.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/20...oral-blind-spot

I didn't read this article in its entirety, because reading this sort of garbage makes me nauseous. It is a good example of the mindset of the idiots who populate the 'left' in this country (they are really conservative in nature) and are afraid to give religions the criticism they deserve, in case they offend someone foreign. That would be awful.

Take this sentence for example:

"This is also why the growing idea that there is in this country such a thing as Christianophobia – an equivalent to Islamophobia – is such total nonsense."

These people live in a warped reality that cannot be reconciled with the world I see around me. I don't believe that lots of people in Britain have dinner parties and sit round talking about Islam. I've never heard anyone talk about an idea of 'Christianophobia' - when it's put in those terms, you see how ridiculous the concept really is. He even admits this but cannot apply the same logic to Islam. I'd call that a blind-spot. The writer is a christian himself, and clearly displays his problems with thinking in a coherent and rational manner.

it happens everywhere man :(

Typical Guardian crap.

Spare me your life story tbh. I couldn't give two shits about what the bad brown people did to you. Is that why you act the internet hardman? To make up for how your courage went running down your leg that day? :( While you were getting 'insight' in Bradford, you might've learned how to use commas, too. Great craic, too, man. 'Mohammed', never heard that one before.

ah, life in multicultural Britain today, among these peaceful and successfully integrated British muslims.

Yeah that sort of shit never happens with white people :icon_lol:

Edited by Gejon

Spare me your life story tbh. I couldn't give two shits about what the bad brown people did to you. Is that why you act the internet hardman? To make up for how your courage went running down your leg that day? :( While you were getting 'insight' in Bradford, you might've learned how to use commas, too. Great craic, too, man. 'Mohammed', never heard that one before.

Yeah that sort of shit never happens with white people :icon_lol:

we aren't talking about white people though are we ?

What an arsehole.

• 7 months later...

I imagine the Glenn Beck fans are warming up for the tenth anniversary of the only terrorist attack that has happened in the history of the world. And no doubt Obama will be to blame for the attacks according to Beck and co.