LuaLua flying the coop

The Fish

Brighton are poised to complete the signing of Newcastle winger Kazenga LuaLua on loan until Christmas.

The 19-year-old, who enjoyed a successful spell with the Seagulls last season, has agreed a return to the south coast and will complete the deal on Tuesday morning.

LuaLua, who played in Newcastle's Carling Cup win over Accrington last week, should be available for Brighton's Johnstone's Paint Trophy clash with Leyton Orient on Wednesday night.

Not sure how I feel about this, I know he's got to get 1st team football, but I'm not sure of our strength in depth.

This is where I'm worried about the club, Hughton's insistence upon having Raylor on the bench to play as a wide midfielder instead of Lua Lua.

Using Shola instead of Ranger. The way Butt kept getting picked last season, etc, etc.

There is no point "investing in the future" if they don't get the opportunity to be part of the 1st team squad and feel they have to fuck off to Brighton/Celtic/anywhere else for 1st team action.

Or are we just a sausage factory that needs to get its wears out into the market???

Disappointing considering he looked our best outfield player against Accrington Stanley. An injury to Jonas and or Routledge and he's suddenly of a much greater value to the side. Certainly much greater value than someone like Leon Best.

Guest Tuco Ramirez

Given the fact only 23 names were registered, and he'd have qualified as an under 21, I'm a bit disappointed he's not going to play for the first team this season. He's a genuine prospect.

• 1 month later...

Whoever signed off on this loan deal without inserting a 'recall clause' should be shot. Shortsighted considering Arfa's injury, impending injuries and Routledge's hit & mainly miss form at a higher level of competition.

Looking at it though from a balance sheet perspective [evening out the books] though i wouldn't be surprised there's a 'first buy option', should the lad continue on current form and continue to impress over the season remainder. He scored from a long distance effort last week.

Edited by Year Zero

Whoever signed off on this loan deal without inserting a 'recall clause' should be shot. Shortsighted considering Arfa's injury, impending injuries and Routledge's hit & mainly miss form.

Looking at it though from a balance sheet perspective [evening out the books] though i wouldn't be surprised there's a 'first buy option', should the lad continue on current form and continue to impress over the season remainder. He scored from a long distance effort last week.

He's done that a few times for Brighton but if you were to look at his overall game last week it wasn't up to scratch for league one, let alone the top flight.

He looks like he suffers from big brothers tunnel vision. (btw I'd like him to succeed and be part of our first team but well time will tell.)

Whoever signed off on this loan deal without inserting a 'recall clause' should be shot. Shortsighted considering Arfa's injury, impending injuries and Routledge's hit & mainly miss form.

He's done that a few times for Brighton but if you were to look at his overall game last week it wasn't up to scratch for league one, let alone the top flight.

He looks like he suffers from big brothers tunnel vision. (btw I'd like him to succeed and be part of our first team but well time will tell.)

He's a work-in-progress, as Lomana was at Colchester prior to us signing him, same applies to Delph at Leeds when the latter hit a purple patch in form 18 months ago before securing a move away. Raw potential is there, is certainly capable of turning a match with a moment of skill & instinct, he'd benefit more playing with better players & movement around him on a more consistent basis [at a higher level] as opposed to repeatedly farming him out in the lower divisions.

Hopefully better positional play can be coached into him. His attacking intent is certainly something that should come in handy in the years to come. Routledge is far from a complete player and it seems that Lua Lua may score a few so if Routledge doesn't improve his own tunnel vision Lua Lua shuold be pushing through next season.

Ultimately though we should sign someone else to play there :(

He's a work-in-progress, as Lomana was at Colchester prior to us signing him, same applies to Delph at Leeds when the latter hit a purple patch in form 18 months ago before securing a move away. Raw potential is there, is certainly capable of turning a match with a moment of skill & instinct, he'd benefit more playing with better players & movement around him on a more consistent basis [at a higher level] as opposed to repeatedly farming him out in the lower divisions.

There is no doubt about that but as I said in the other match thread at the time, he seems to suffer a bit from the stupid footballer syndrome as he continually gets caught making the same mistakes.

Here's the thing for me, even as a work in progress, he needs to be head and shoulders against the opposition players he finds himself facing in League 1 and against Bournemouth he looked as much a liability as a game turner.

And he doesn't look at have the physical strength his brother has - so he needs to be smarter.

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like he's coming back in January rarara. He has been utterly amazing for Brighton, by all accounts the best player in L1 this season, and the crack is we said do one on Saturday when they asked if they could play him in the FA Cup, we don't want him Cup tied, I'd be glad to have him back like as he's now good enough to give genuine competition. Happy days.

Shame he wasn't here now as with the team playing well a few little cameo appearances would be perfect for getting him used to the PL. Seems to have done well at Brighton though so fair enough loan move I suppose. Has he signed his new contract yet though?

I'd have liked to see him get a bit of Championship football too.

2J and I said a few times it was daft sending him out on loan and getting that Frenchie in who hardly played (forgotten his name already!)

Pancake?

It was a bit, especially after he did fuck all after the Watford goal.

Lua has already played at Brighton and proved he can play at that level, he got barely any playing time in the Championship last season though.

Moyo is only a bairn.

As regards to Kazenga, since he first got his chance in the team a few year ago I have never rated him. Good pace but nowhere near intelligent enough. He offers very little different to what we already have. He should be nowhere near the first team yet, hes not ready and more importantly hes not good enough yet.

League 1 is a whole different ball game to West Brom or Wolves away in the premiership, never mind the bigger teams.