Kevin Nolan

Anorthernsoul

Nolan occupying the final 1/3 compresses our attack, there's not enough wide/exchange passing play in the wide channels. It isolates our wingers, as too often they lack an 'inside outlet' [a simple passing option, a get out of jail card when under heavy defensive pressure]. Providing that consistent inside option is a pre-requiste of that floating/roaming forward role, epitomised by Bellamy.

I'd rather Ranger in that role tbh, over Nolan that is, for the overall good of the team. His link-up play and technique are both solid, he has the athletic/physical attributes to play sideline-to-sideline and more importantly he keeps his head up while on the ball. He suits the wide workhorse type of role i speak of imo, with Vuckic slated in as Barton's possible replacement in the middle [over time].

It may well prove to be the ideal way to blood the lad over the short-mid term. It will allow Ranger to play with a bit more abandon/freedom, and being more of a workhorse in the final 1/3 there's less pressure of having to become a prolific striker straight away.

I agree with the sentiment, but think Ranger's an odd choice.

I haven't seen anything that suggests he'd perform well in the role you describe, in short I don't think he's got a "footballing brain", the kind of viison you need from a player operating in that role.

I'd probably liken to Ranger to an early version of Cort. When i speak of the said player i mean the pre-injured Cort, the player who impressed as a raw & talented footballer [as opposed to the protypical Wimbledon style clogger] while being fed painkilling injections by a selling club as means of firmly maintaining his spot in the shop window.

I certainly don't envision Ranger in all-out creative role, playing in the hole. He's no Bellamy, it was a loose comparison and i probably should've elaborated further at the time. But off-the-ball he offers more work-rate & movement on the counter, and around the box he offers more of a threat running at defenders. I'm thinking more of a Heskey type of role - a selfless, simple & efficient role player in the final 1/3. On the ball the lad keeps his head up - he has been previously criticised for looking for the link-up/give-off too often, and that's an important and overlooked attribute.

How far is Best down the pecking order now by the way? Carroll, Nolan, Shola, Lovelyglands, Ranger and Xisco all picked in front of him and now Vuckic getting a mention.

So far down he's underground, I hope. That's one way to get a player out of contract.

Vuckic has looked useless when I've seen him. Can't say I'm on expert on him or anything, but v. Accrington and Chelsea he was anonymous throughout in my opinion.

How far is Best down the pecking order now by the way? Carroll, Nolan, Shola, Lovelyglands, Ranger and Xisco all picked in front of him and now Vuckic getting a mention.

So far down he's underground, I hope. That's one way to get a player out of contract.

Vuckic has looked useless when I've seen him. Can't say I'm on expert on him or anything, but v. Accrington and Chelsea he was anonymous throughout in my opinion.

Agreed. He's been disappointing and didn't really grab his chance in those games.

I'd say Vuckic over Ranger in that role. Vuckic looks decently quick, can score and a decent passer. A long term project obviously. Not sure what sort of role Ranger is best suited to to be honest.

I thought you watched the Chelsea match because he looked none of the above that game.

I did watch the Chelsea game, and he wasn't great in that (I mentioned that in my comments on the game). But I still think he's decently quick and has scored a lot for a midfielder at lower levels. The decent passer bit I may have embelished on slightly. Was more my thinking that he's a better passer than Ranger.

My Wolves mate was very confident at the start of the season although I assured him that they'd be in the dog figtht. He wouldnt have any of it at the time. Changed his tune now.

Edited by Holden McGroin

Any chance of video evidence being reviewed of Nolans stamp on Anichebe?

Regarding Vuckik, I thought he did ok against Chelsea, kept things simple(I'd not seen him for the reserves, so was expecting a Beardo type player!). Set up a very good chance, too in the first half with a fine pass.

He's no where near good enough for the Prem.

He showed that in his first season here and is showing it again now.

Dunno who won Championship Player of the Season But here is the Team of the Season

Lee Camp (Nottingham Forest)

The former Derby keeper has been the key to Forest’s impressive collection of clean sheets this season – more than 20 – and his form led to him being touted as an outside bet for the England squad. His priority though is to get Forest into the Premier League.

Chris Gunter (Nottingham Forest)

Like keeper Camp, Gunter has also played a big part in Forest’s push for the play-offs on the back of an exceptional defensive record. The former Cardiff and Spurs full back already has 20 international caps to his name as a member of John Toshack’s young Welsh squad.

Fabricio Coloccini (Newcastle)

The Argentine international has been a mainstay of Newcastle’s defence this season as the Magpies, under the expert leadership of Chris Hughton, have secured an immediate return to the Premier League. His class has shone through in the Championship this season.

Ashley Williams (Swansea)

After being overlooked as a youth player by West Brom – and following a spell in non league with Hednesford – Williams has established himself as a Welsh international of some repute, initially with Stockport and later Swansea. He was named Wales Footballer of the Year in 2009.

Jose Enrique Diaz (Newcastle)

After starting his career in Spain with Levante, Enrique had spells with Valencia, Celta Vigo and Villareal before joining Newcastle in the summer of 2007. Enrique scored his first goal for the Magpies in a 2-0 league win over promotion rivals Nottingham Forest on March 29.

Graham Dorrans (West Brom)

The £100,000 Albion paid Livingstone two years ago looks to have been great business by the West Midlands club. A prolific goalscorer from midfield, newly-promoted West Brom gave him a new three and a half year contract to keep the likes of Manchester City at bay.

Peter Whittingham (Cardiff)

A member of Aston Villa’s FA Youth Cup winning side of 2002, Peter learned his trade at Villa Park but has truly come of age with Cardiff and found his niche as a creative midfield player with an eye for goal. His 20+ goal haul has been a huge bonus for the Bluebirds.

Kevin Nolan (Newcastle)

The Newcastle skipper has led from the front this season and, after the disappointment of relegation from the Premier League, has inspired his side from the off. The Magpies have bounced back at the first attempt – thanks in no small part to Kevin’s double-figure goal tally.

Charlie Adam (Blackpool)

Charlie has been an absolute inspiration for the Tangerines this season and manager Ian Holloway, not normally a man who struggles for words, is fast running out of superlatives to describe his skilful, creative, free-scoring midfielder who has become a firm fans’ favourite.

Andy Carroll (Newcastle)

Andy has been challenged to earn the right to become Newcastle’s next official owner of the famous number nine shirt, and he has certainly made a strong claim, using his aerial power and physical presence to out-muscle defenders and help himself to a bundle of goals.

Michael Chopra (Cardiff)

Michael was in danger of becoming labelled something of a loan ranger after a succession of spells on the road at such clubs as Watford, Nottingham Forest, Barnsley and Cardiff where he has now settled and is producing the best, most consistent form of his career.

Edited by Nobby