Steve Clarke

Nobby

Good move if true.

He has been here before and I seem to recall that didn't go too well.. :razz:

Experience under Mourinho since then. And I seem to recall Chelsea were very keen for him not to move on to West Ham. When he was here before, it was his 1st 12 months out of his playing days. 11 years have passed since then.

The only thing I ever held against Dyer was the boro thing. One of the best players in our history when fully fit.

Like said, a long time since he was last here plus much different circumstance. I'd certainly welcome him here.

too right, was a significant part of our best recent era (01-04 and helped chelsea to 2 titles.Mourinho rates him as did sir bobby. thats all i need to know.

http://www.nufcblog.com/2010/10/21/is-stev...+United+Blog%29

Chris Hughton was apparently still in deep discussions with the Newcastle United board today, as the club looks to bring in a replacement  for Colin Calderwood, who is now manager of Hibernian.

There was news today that former Newcastle coach Steve Clarke could be the current favorite for the job, since he has already coached at Newcastle from 1998 until 1999, and knows the club very well. Steve is currently out of a job after he left West Ham after manager Gianfranco Zola was sacked earlier this year.

Steve gained valuable experience at Chelsea under world-class manager Jose Mourinho, Bobby Robson’s former assistant while he was manager at Barcelona, and Steve is well recognized as an excellent coach.

The other person in the running is John Carver, but he’s at Sheffield United as the Assistant Manager to former Newcastle star Gary Speed, and it could prove difficult to pry him away from that job.

Hughton told the Evening Chronicle today about the search for a new assistant:

“You probably do not want to put a time on it, as you do not know what will happen, but my intention is for it to happen sooner rather than later.” “I am very keen to bring someone in as soon as I can.”

“It will be my appointment who comes in and it is one I don’t want to take too long over in making my mind up.” “What I need to do is go through the possibilities. I have my own ideas and it is one we do not want to drag on too long.”

Hughton has Paul Barron helping the team prepare for the game at West Ham on Saturday and Paul has been a stalwart at the club since Chris took over 15 months ago.

Chris had only good words to say about Paul today:

“Paul is much more than just a goalkeeping coach” “He has plenty of other important qualities and is highly respected within the camp.” “I have Paul with me, and Peter Beardsley and his assistant Steve Stone.”

Certainly we think Steve Clarke would simply jump at the chance to join Chris Hughton at Newcastle, and he must tick all the boxes for a coach Chris Hughton would be interested in.

Steve would be an excellent addition to the coaching staff on Tyneside, but we have no idea what the chemistry is like between Chris and Steve, which of course will be vital.

But in short, we’d be very happy to see either John or Steve get the assistant manager role at the Newcastle club, and then we can push on to bigger and better things.

Edited by Nobby

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/foo...-newcastle-role

Ex-Chelsea assistant Clarke set for Newcastle role

Steve Clarke is being lined up to replace Colin Calderwood as Newcastle's assistant manager.

The former assistant to Jose Mourinho at Chelsea and Gianfranco Zola at West Ham will now work under Chris Hughton on Tyneside.

Calderwood vacated his position as Hughton's No.2 this week to take up the manager's job at Hibernian, a position Clarke was also linked with.

The former Scotland international has been out of work since he and Zola were relieved of their duties at Upton Park in May.

Edited by Nobby

an ideal choice if it’s him, highly respected coach.

is he still on the West Ham payroll though?

I bet he was on a lot more than what Hughton’s on now. And he’ll quite rightly expect a contract for a few years — longer than Hughton’s contract has got to run.

Ashley’s only employed the cheap and desperate coaches since Keegan left.

an ideal choice if it’s him, highly respected coach.

is he still on the West Ham payroll though?

I bet he was on a lot more than what Hughton’s on now. And he’ll quite rightly expect a contract for a few years — longer than Hughton’s contract has got to run.

Ashley’s only employed the cheap and desperate coaches since Keegan left.

Wasn't he sacked with Zola?

Couldn't agree terms with the club despite looking for less than he was on at Chelsea and West Ham, according to the papers here.

Aye I've heard that too. Poor fucking show from those with the purse strings if true but nowt surprises me with them!

Mersone was saying last week that it speaks volumes that he left a huge premiership club as a number 2 to go to be manager at a club that has no chance of winning anything in the poor Scottish league.

Reckons there's something not right at nufc with CH not being offered a contract and he sees the writing on the wall.

Ashley seems to believe he can run a football club with a skeleton coaching staff. Disaster waiting to happen.

Are all the turnstiles open now on matchdays? Im sure a bit back they closed a lot of them down, I assume to save the minimal cost of staffing them. It's all open where I am but wondering about the rest of ground.

Thing is, if ever you get a glimmer of hope that the penny is dropping (I thought we had a decent transfer window), he then pulls another stunt (assistant manager, stadium branding) to remind you that he hasnt got a clue.

Ashley seems to believe he can run a football club with a skeleton coaching staff. Disaster waiting to happen.

Are all the turnstiles open now on matchdays? Im sure a bit back they closed a lot of them down, I assume to save the minimal cost of staffing them. It's all open where I am but wondering about the rest of ground.

Thing is, if ever you get a glimmer of hope that the penny is dropping (I thought we had a decent transfer window), he then pulls another stunt (assistant manager, stadium branding) to remind you that he hasnt got a clue.

got a text today saying that the reason loyalty points are no longer used for matches is because it took too much staff time and money to do it that way. From now it is on a first come first served basis. penny pinching in the extreme.

got a text today saying that the reason loyalty points are no longer used for matches is because it took too much staff time and money to do it that way. From now it is on a first come first served basis. penny pinching in the extreme.

It's changed hasn't it? Last year it was first come first served and then there was a huge fuck on for the Boro game so the club changed them back?

Clarke'll have massive knowledge of how teams play and techniques etc, but he's probably more high profile than our manager and I can just see the headlines about him taking over or feeling her could 'do a job' running the team. I just kna' it.

I'd sooner Hughton picked his own number 2. He has to be different to CH in his behaviour though. CH seems very relaxed, motivational and calm under pressure and he'll need a contrast. Someone who'll get stuck into the players were they're havin' a mare, different knowledge to CH. They have to be different so the players get both sides. I'd believe that's the job CC did.