Football stadiums

footballff

Ewood Park circa 1979.

The old Darwen end was amongst the favourites of many a Newcastle fan in days gone, it was always a well attended game. (by us, anyway :lol: )

Two things always stand out for me about the old end, Liam O'Brien scoring a belting last minute winner and the Mags chanting the tune to 'Toms Diner' for ages afterwards on the way out of the ground, and the stick David Speedie took where 'We've all shagged your wife, Speedie, Speedie' rang out a good few times and Speedie baiting us as he scored his hat-trick as bottles, pies and coins bounced off the grass in front of the dirty, hacking, cheating little bastard. (I was a big fan). ;)

I was there for the Speedie game, most mental celebration ever, when Kelly scored, can still picture the goal, Clarkie, to Stevie, to Kelly \o/ \o/o/ \o/\o/. Went the year Wegerle scored last minute to put us out the cup too, and the only thing different from 3-1 game in that vid, was they'd built the Walker Steel stand which is the shit one opposite the TV camera's rest of the ground was like that youtube clip. Was a proper ground Ewood.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ewood Park circa 1979.

The old Darwen end was amongst the favourites of many a Newcastle fan in days gone, it was always a well attended game. (by us, anyway :lol: )

Two things always stand out for me about the old end, Liam O'Brien scoring a belting last minute winner and the Mags chanting the tune to 'Toms Diner' for ages afterwards on the way out of the ground, and the stick David Speedie took where 'We've all shagged your wife, Speedie, Speedie' rang out a good few times and Speedie baiting us as he scored his hat-trick as bottles, pies and coins bounced off the grass in front of the dirty, hacking, cheating little bastard. (I was a big fan). ;)

I was there for the Speedie game, most mental celebration ever, when Kelly scored, can still picture the goal, Clarkie, to Stevie, to Kelly \o/ \o/o/ \o/\o/. Went the year Wegerle scored last minute to put us out the cup too, and the only thing different from 3-1 game in that vid, was they'd built the Walker Steel stand which is the shit one opposite the TV camera's rest of the ground was like that youtube clip. Was a proper ground Ewood.

How times change, me and my pal got up at half three and got a taxi over to the ground at about four-ish to queue for tickets for the cup game at Ewood where Wegerle got the winner, there were already loads queuing and we still didn't get a ticket. I remember it being cold and misty and someone had set a mattress alight. All this for an early cup round tie at Blackburn! :mellow: Thats what used to set us apart from supporters of most other clubs in my opinion.

Ewood Park circa 1979.

How times change, me and my pal got up at half three and got a taxi over to the ground at about four-ish to queue for tickets for the cup game at Ewood where Wegerle got the winner, there were already loads queuing and we still didn't get a ticket. I remember it being cold and misty and someone had set a mattress alight. All this for an early cup round tie at Blackburn! :mellow: Thats what used to set us apart from supporters of most other clubs in my opinion.

Aye 12,000 they reckon were there before they opened the gates at 4am. It was 2 per person, so me mate agreed to get the Blackburn tickets if a got the QF ones.

I'm not sure if this was the game where a few lads round wor way went down ticketless and someone let them go in their house and watch the game from their roof for a couple of quid each and sold them some cans and a pie, this was because they'd knocked down the old main stand and were just starting to build the new one and you could see the pitch from the roof. They were celebs in Walker for a few days as a photo of them was in the papers and I think the camera panned to them briefly on the highlights of the game. :lol:

I'm not sure if this was the game where a few lads round wor way went down ticketless and someone let them go in their house and watch the game from their roof for a couple of quid each and sold them some cans and a pie, this was because they'd knocked down the old main stand and were just starting to build the new one and you could see the pitch from the roof. They were celebs in Walker for a few days as a photo of them was in the papers and I think the camera panned to them briefly on the highlights of the game. :lol:

Nar that was in the Premiership that game. Lost 1-0 to a David May volley.

Brighton are getting a new stadium for next season-I've never been to the current one; it looks horrendous on the tv though.

The new one(the Amex) is a 22,500 capacity(can be increased).

The stadium's drinking outlets will offer real ales from two local breweries, Harveys and Dark Star, along with special guest beers from breweries local to the away teams.

The away end will have screens that relect the away teams colours, as will the away dressing room.

Brighton are getting a new stadium for next season-I've never been to the current one; it looks horrendous on the tv though.

The new one(the Amex) is a 22,500 capacity(can be increased).

The stadium's drinking outlets will offer real ales from two local breweries, Harveys and Dark Star, along with special guest beers from breweries local to the away teams.

The away end will have screens that relect the away teams colours, as will the away dressing room.

File:Amexstadjuly10.jpg

Look like they've just stolen the drawings from the McAlipne.

Would love for our two remaining stands to be built like the others, would look brilliant.

st-james-park-2010_77049.jpg

Agree but there would be shedloads of empty seats. Extending t he gallowgate to level 7 would be more than big enough for us. I expect we'd only get 60k in if we were to ever establish ourselves as top 6 again. The east stand is unlikely to ever be extended because of the houses right behind the ground.

Would love for our two remaining stands to be built like the others, would look brilliant.

st-james-park-2010_77049.jpg

Agree but there would be shedloads of empty seats. Extending t he gallowgate to level 7 would be more than big enough for us. I expect we'd only get 60k in if we were to ever establish ourselves as top 6 again. The east stand is unlikely to ever be extended because of the houses right behind the ground.

If we were competing for the title 80,000 would be too small. As many loyal fans as we have, we have just as many if not more dormant gloryhunters like your J69's etc... who would flock back if we had a decent side they'd sharp find the cash. Not having a dig at the likes of him, who can't justify watching a mid table team, but we have 10's of thousands of glory hunters, don'y kid yourself.

"The east stand is unlikely to ever be extended because of the houses right behind the ground. "

with a bit of imagination and money it could be done - the terrace isn't that unique and could be moved elsewhere . Offer the inhabitants new offices under the new stand, bribe a few councilors and threaten a few planners.... no sweat

• 6 months later...
800px-Spain_vs_Sweden,_Euro_2008_01.jpg

The most scenic location of a stadium ever?

:lol: Where's that? (I'm guessing Sweden or Spain)

Neither it's Innsbruck in Austria, I love this pic.

:lol::icon_lol:

There's an open ended one with some mountains in the background but cannot remember where it was at all! Looks brilliant though.

Going to have to search 'til I find it now.

There's an open ended one with some mountains in the background but cannot remember where it was at all! Looks brilliant though.

Going to have to search 'til I find it now.

Is that the one from Portugal 2004?

Yes! Braga's.

most-strangest-stadiums-in-the-world-braga-stadium.jpg

Mental. There's a better picture somewhere.