Barton drops a clanger

Christmas Tree

A canny enough interview but dont, regardless of whoever you are say.....

Joey Barton has hit out at football's "bulls**t merchants."

The midfielder claims he is one of the few who faces up to his problems, and has hit out at other unnamed stars who portray one image to the public, while behaving differently in private.

He has been one of the Geordies' best performers this season and says, at last, he feels happy and settled after a turbulent few years.

The one-cap England man has never shirked from talking about his "journey" through the "bad times," joking: "I'm too honest to be a politician."

Barton has a long charge sheet while at Newcastle including a conviction for assault, a 74 day jail term, and injuries including a broken foot and a knee injury, that ruined his first three seasons on Tyneside.

West Ham are among clubs weighing up a £2 million bid for the player, but Barton explained why he is so keen to stay put. At last , he says, his life is on track and benefiting from a long spell in the first team.

He said: "I get the feeling people think differently of me to what they did two or three years ago. Not everyone but people can appreciate the steps I've made in my life to make a difference.

"I see a lot of people in this industry being false to themselves and being the person they want others to perceive them as. I see that every single day, there's a load of bullsh** merchants. I don't need to name names, that's the industry we're in.

"For me I know the person I am and it's taken me to fall off the track a couple of times to find that person but I'm thankful I got there. I'm not out of the woods yet, life's a journey, and I'm just enjoying my journey now. I've been in enough bad times to enjoy the good times and hopefully they'll carry on here.

"I've got a lot of things to make up a this club for what went on in the early part through injury and me getting in trouble and that's still my goal.

"Even up to a year ago the fans were entitled to have their doubts about me because I'd literally done nothing at the club. I'm not saying I have now. They'd seen flashes and glimpses what I am capable of, but not for a long enough time.

"I broke my foot, I also did my knee ligaments, and it just spiraled. I genuinely believed when I came here outside the players in the England side I was the next best English player.

"In the second game I snapped my metatarsal and things spiraled from there and it ended up culminating in getting arrested for fighting in a town centre drunk in December and the rest we all know about.

"I always knew I'd be back. I've been blessed with an extraordinary inner strength. To get yourself in the sh** I've got myself in and to come back at this level, with everything that goes on with me....

"Maybe a lesser character would wilt under that, but I don't know what it is about me, some mechanism thrives on adversity.

"I've found in the last couple of years it's probably better to live without that adversity. I know the man I am and the people who I respect know what kind of man I am. For me that's the most important thing.

"I'm quite keen to stay here I've got quite an affinity with the Newcastle fans because of everything that's gone on and think that if I can't go to one of the big clubs in the world I'm quite happy to stay here.

Outside the teams going for the title the reason I came here was that they were capable with the fan base to push on.

"We're all aware that it didn't go to plan but we've got a good set up here. Places we've gone this season and won and the way we've performed gives me the belief that with a few minor tweaks and maybe a couple of signings here and there we have the potential to break into the top six top eight and then from there who knows where we end up?"

Barton says new boss Alan Pardew has won over United players because he has shown respect for the achievements of sacked Chris Hughton, and not shaken up the squad spirit.

He added: "I think if you put yourself in his position, it must have been difficult for him coming here. Usually, when you come into a football club it's on the back of a load of bad results and they're struggling and desperate for a change and that wasn't the case for Alan.

"That in itself poses an obstacle. I've voiced my opinions about it, that's all we can do as players, say what we think about it, but since then ... it wasn't Alan's fault Chris left the club. That decision was made and it wasn't Alan's fault.

"He's starting to change things a little bit, but nothing too drastic. He's a very intelligent fella and a shrewd man and he's definitely aware of how he wants to do things and where he wants the club to go and how he wants to go back there.

"Straight away he's on a good footing at the club."

Barton faces former club Manchester City today adding: "It's not the football club I left. That amount of money changes everything. I keep an eye out for them because that's where I made my name and I've got a great rapport with the fans."

Don't see what's too wrong with that. Basically saying that he doesn't expect the likes of Real Madrid or Chelsea to come calling, and he's happy where he is, and wouldn't move to a team that he sees on a level pegging with us.

Well maybe its just me but I dont like to hear our players talk like that.

Don't see what's too wrong with that. Basically saying that he doesn't expect the likes of Real Madrid or Chelsea to come calling, and he's happy where he is, and wouldn't move to a team that he sees on a level pegging with us.

Neither do I, but it's a fact of life that unless you're a lifelong mag, if Real Madrid etc came knocking you'd be off in a shot (see Woodgate - even Bobby told him he should go).

Aye, fair enough to me like. Why would he feel the loyalty to the club that we do, especially if one of the big clubs came along? At least he's honest.

I think it's a bit different, and in the context of the article he has to be even handed. He couldn't very well claim honesty and being grounded and then call us the one of Football's elite.

Right now, and for the foreseeable future, we're not going to sneak onto the big boys table. We'd need one of two things to happen; 1) Some preposterously rich and benign backer to propel us forward, 2) the entire world of football turns on it's head and money no longer matters.

For him to state (quite accurately) that he's never going to play for the elite and he's happy here, is, imo, a good thing. Means that he's got his head screwed on.

Oh and it's nothing like a choice between Cheryl Cole and your missus, because your missus is[/i] the best that you can do, in fact she's done badly and you're punching well above your considerable weight. You're the Ali Dia of marital relations :D So pipe down CT.

Aye fair enough our lass, if I cant get Cheryl Cole, you'll do. :rolleyes:

I know its not... but it is in a way.

Well it kinda is, but as others have said, at least he's being honest. He could have quite easily churned out the old "I want to see out my career here" bollocks and still fucked off if one of the big clubs came knocking.

Wouldn't recommend being that honest with your lass though! :D

I applaud his honesty, he is happy here but if one of the super elite came in he would walk, who in this world wouldn't want to test themselves on the biggest stage of world football, anyone who said otherwise is talking bollocks

Here's one for you, lets say Barca or the R. Madrid came in for Carroll, do you think he would stay?

**forgot to add, CT you punching above your weight then? is it that she's a stunner or are you just an ugly c**t?** :D lets be honest, most blokes are punching above their weight, I know i am lol

Edited by sandman02uk

The fact that he says "one of the big clubs in the world" lets him off i'd say, that means the very biggest and he's talking about the Barcas and Madrids of the world and why shouldn't any player want to be there ahead of NUFC unless they're a geordie.

And as he's said many times, he is always honest if nothing else, rather than some players who'll come out with all the platitudes and kiss the badge etc then fuck off to any club that comes along offering a bit of cash.

Joey Bartons brother smacked a ice hammer on a dudes head and killed him because he was black. Then Joey paid for him to flee the country. How does he explain that to big Sol? . He may also stump a fag on a geordies head which he done at man City. Mind you that wont be a bad thing.

arsehole

Probably been reading your posts and bought into the notion the days of us spending big are over :lol: