Daily Mail: David Bentley to sign

Tooj

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...kham-Spurs.html?

David Bentley set for Newcastle move to make way for David Beckham at Spurs

By Joe Bernstein

Last updated at 10:30 PM on 1st January 2011

David Bentley is set for a Newcastle move to make room for the potential arrival of David Beckham at White Hart Lane.

Newcastle boss Alan Pardew is a big fan of Bentley, 26, and believes his crossing ability would be a perfect foil for striker Andy Carroll.

Spurs boss Harry will not stand in Bentley’s way as he tries to free up squad places, with Niko Kranjcar and Robbie Keane also available.

The club are willing to take a substantial loss on the £15million they paid Blackburn for Bentley in 2006. The winger has made only 32 Premier League starts in four seasons and was not included in the 18 for yesterday’s game against Fulham.

Arguably, his best-known act as a Spurs player was pouring a bucket of cold water over Redknapp as Tottenham celebrated clinching a Champions League berth.

Redknapp has made no secret of his desire to take Beckham from LA Galaxy on loan but even if he does not land the former England captain, Bentley will still head to the North-East.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure about this one.

Definitely not the player he was and 32 starts in four seasons is a worry. You also have to wonder that if Harry couldnt get him playing again why could we.

My next concern would be if we were buying him to replace Barton.

If not, where does he fit in with a front 6 of Barton, Tiote, Ben Arfa, Carrol, (a supposed new striker and replacement for Jonas).

I must say I love Barton on the right and would love us to either play Lua Lua in for Jonas and Ben Arfa in the middle or off Carrol like a new Beardsley.

Lets be careful not to get too excited on past glory players as we've seen them all before, too often.

Barton would go in the middle with tiote, bentley wide right. Ben arfa or Jonas wide left. Ben arfa or Nolan or new striker up top alongside Carroll. Cant see how he wouldn't be a better option out there than our other right wingers on the books. Barton has done a job there but his best position is centre mid.

if Permanent my only concerns are ego and wages, but he's got genuine quality

if Loan then I don't really see a down side other than our reliance on him might mean an inflated price come the loans end.

Barton would go in the middle with tiote, bentley wide right. Ben arfa or Jonas wide left. Ben arfa or Nolan or new striker up top alongside Carroll. Cant see how he wouldn't be a better option out there than our other right wingers on the books. Barton has done a job there but his best position is centre mid.

Im not so sure. I think Bartons being a revelation on the right not only with his creative attacking play but also with his defending.

You could be right though and if we had two decent wingers who were capable then Barton could go back to orchastrating from the middle.

Remains unsure :icon_lol:

A loan is fine with me - I'm not looking past this season, given how precarious our position in this league is.

Oh and LuaLua? Seriously?

Definitely :icon_lol:

He's a.) got a broken leg that might affect his playing ability when he returns, and he's b.) yet to prove himself in the Prem.

Might not even play again this season IIRC.

A loan is fine with me - I'm not looking past this season, given how precarious our position in this league is.

Oh and LuaLua? Seriously?

Definitely :(

He's a.) got a broken leg that might affect his playing ability when he returns, and he's b.) yet to prove himself in the Prem.

Might not even play again this season IIRC.

The remark was made with the idea that he has recovered as it was with Ben Arfa. :icon_lol:

Putting that matter to one side, if he was now available after what he's achieved so far this season, then most Newcastle fans would give him a go instead of Jonas.

It would be a great move signing Bentley. He's a great crosser and also has a decent eye for goal. I reckon Carroll//Shola would do really well off him plus it would allow Barton to slip back into CM. Good stuff.

I'm still very negative in regards to our fortunes in the transfer market but I would be over the moon if we get Bentley - as much as he's a horrible, horrible twat.

Bentley is a good shout but it's definitely a see it before I believe it signing. His wages wouldn't be that bad, as I'd say Tottenham signed his before their wage ceiling was obliterated. Plus we can't be held captive to wage limitations forever because of Smith and the likes. Certainly our wages are substantially lower than when we went down in 2008.

Would seem to be a good signing. Mind I remember him scoring an absolute rocket, and as he ran away in celebration you could lip read him shouting one of "that's what I'm talkin' abahhhht" or "that's what I'm all abahhhht".

The latter is worse than the former, but both are twat's craic.