Spurs to bid 30mil for Carroll

Kevin

It says something about the competence of the previous lot when you can take over a club that finished 14th in the table, turn it into an unambitious selling club and be 8th in the table. :huff:

via relegation.

Inevitable, when Shepherd has littered the club with overpaid SHITE that we couldn't move on because they were too happy here on their astronomical wages, TBH

Alan Smith.

Oh well that proves it then :nufc:

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you not prepared to bet 100?

You should be giving odds tbh.

It's not an expectation, it's a concern.

I think any side with Carroll in who had just come up from the economic wilderness of the championship would be (and should be) concerned about keeping him.

My point is that the best predictor of events in this window is the last window not the one where Given got sold or the one before that. If your opinion hasnt changed after signing Ben Arfa yesterday, you'll have to explain why to me.

We sell him, i donate a 100 to a charity of your choice. We keep him and you do the same. Nae odds.

I'd say the previous winter window that we were in the Premier league (where we were in a similar position) is the best indicator. The last window was a season starting window when season tickets were on sale.

We spent as much on Nolan in the Given window as we spent on Ben Arfa yesterday. Not sure how signing cheaper players than those we sell would be any sort of evidence of anything having changed at the club.

I would be interested if PP would link to these so called statements saying we were going to buy young future stars and then sell them when they come good.

I can't recall it.

Not sure about what they said....because whatever they come out with is bollocks 90% of the time anyway. But a young lad like Bassong bought for nothing and on one of the lowest wages at the club being sold for profit suggests they have no qualms about selling our best young players. It could hardly be included in clearing out the dead wood.

We got relegated, different circumstances.

Bassong wanted out tbf. I actually think the point, which CT has also made, about looking to the last two transfer windows is a good one. I also agree with PP and Leazes though about not being able to hang onto players long-term if the wage policy is too tightly adhered to. The people seemingly excited about the frugality of the current regime seem, to my mind at least, to miss the whole fucking point of supporting a football team.

There's more than a whiff of the ridiculous about both extremes of the spectrum imo. Although the paranoia around Ashley is more understandable than the people making out he's got some sort of masterplan. The latter seemingly being intent on winding-up fellow fans, which should tell you all you need to know about them tbh.

I agree with all of that except the last sentence.

But how anyone can not see the progress, not just league position, that is being made is simply astounding to me. I don't know how far back seriously you have to go to find such a tight unit, playing some extremely good football, with decent pros, skiful individuals and promising youngsters both in the first squad and reserves.

Our overall health is very good compared to a lot of clubs in this league.

We are also probably better positioned to push on than most. Even Tottenham who have done ok. What will happen there if they miss 4th spot and the wages begin to bite.

Even replacing Hughton with Pardew is looking like a master stroke.

Those who say it is all luck are daft. Masterplan? I don't know but lots of things are going right at Newcastle.

I would be interested if PP would link to these so called statements saying we were going to buy young future stars and then sell them when they come good.

I can't recall it.

Not sure about what they said....because whatever they come out with is bollocks 90% of the time anyway. But a young lad like Bassong bought for nothing and on one of the lowest wages at the club being sold for profit suggests they have no qualms about selling our best young players. It could hardly be included in clearing out the dead wood.

He wanted to leave because we got relegated man, not because we wanted to sell our best young players. Unbelievable that people include the selling of players after a relegation as part of the criteria that we're a selling club.

Chez says we can't use any other windows where we've sold players either, like the Given one or the milner one. Restrictive conditions these.

Fact is, Ashley remains well in profit from transfers....concern about his love of a profit are entirely legitimate.

only if pp feels it's unlikely, which would defeat the purpose of the bet?

There's more than a whiff of the ridiculous about both extremes of the spectrum imo. Although the paranoia around Ashley is more understandable than the people making out he's got some sort of masterplan. The latter seemingly being intent on winding-up fellow fans, which should tell you all you need to know about them tbh.

I agree with all of that except the last sentence.

:huff:

Signed by Freddie's manager btw.

ahhhh I see

my next card is.............Xisco

Hugo Viana.

Boumsong.

Marcelino

Not sure what your argument is here like. No one is saying they were good signings but everyone on big wages currently at the club are on contracts approved by the current owner.

I think any side with Carroll in who had just come up from the economic wilderness of the championship would be (and should be) concerned about keeping him.

My point is that the best predictor of events in this window is the last window not the one where Given got sold or the one before that. If your opinion hasnt changed after signing Ben Arfa yesterday, you'll have to explain why to me.

We sell him, i donate a 100 to a charity of your choice. We keep him and you do the same. Nae odds.

I'd say the previous winter window that we were in the Premier league (where we were in a similar position) is the best indicator. The last window was a season starting window when season tickets were on sale.

We spent as much on Nolan in the Given window as we spent on Ben Arfa yesterday. Not sure how signing cheaper players than those we sell would be any sort of evidence of anything having changed at the club.

So which charity are you thinking then?

So which charity are you thinking then?

:huff:

I can't recall it.

He wanted to leave because we got relegated man, not because we wanted to sell our best young players. Unbelievable that people include the selling of players after a relegation as part of the criteria that we're a selling club.

Chez says we can't use any other windows where we've sold players either, like the Given one or the milner one. Restrictive conditions these.

Fact is, Ashley remains well in profit from transfers....concern about his love of a profit are entirely legitimate.

You can use what you like to make your assessment of the odds for the bet. As ASM says, we arent a selling club because we sold players after relegation.

Totally confident the Carroll thing is purely media talk which might have been propogated by Redknapp and his drinking budies as a feeler.

Comparing poor players signings is silly. Shepherd was involved with everything. Ashley put what he thought (agreed mistakenly), was a system in place to deal with all of that and run the club.

It is only after KK and the club fell apart that I think he has been "hands on" on transfers.

I can't recall it.

You can use what you like to make your assessment of the odds for the bet. As ASM says, we arent a selling club because we sold players after relegation.

No, but like I say, Ashley remains in profit in the transfer market....despite selling no-one for 2 windows (when no approaches were made for any of our players iirc)....that makes us a selling club.

We touted Talor everywhere we could....listing him....and no-one was interested.

Edited by Happy Face

I can't recall it.

No, but like I say, Ashley remains in profit in the transfer market....despite selling no-one for 2 windows (when no approaches were made for any of our players iirc)....that makes us a selling club.

We touted Talor everywhere we could....listing him....and no-one was interested.

Not in profit overall tho is he? :huff:

I can't recall it.

He didnt though, he wanted an increase in wages and asked for £25k, his argument was that people such as Butt, Smith etc were warming the bench on 5 times as much as he was while he was busting a gut for us. They werent willing to pay him what he was worth and cashed in.

Comparing poor players signings is silly. Shepherd was involved with everything. Ashley put what he thought (agreed mistakenly), was a system in place to deal with all of that and run the club.

It is only after KK and the club fell apart that I think he has been "hands on" on transfers.

Is that why the club said that Perch was down to Hughton and Tiote and Ben Arfa were down to Graham Carr?

I can't recall it.

So you'll be confident enough to take the bet then? Surely if Carroll is touted there'll be takers?

Think it's too early to apply logic to this kind of debate as it is clearly still driven by emotion. It is intresting to get Chez's cool head on it in some detail. When the new rules come in it might just be that we are one of the healthiest clubs financially for me that is the only 'real world' yardstick that matters.

Edited by Park Life