Spurs to bid 30mil for Carroll

Kevin

Where I differ with MA is in the model itself, becoming a feeder club to increase the profitability of the club is not the model I want us to have and I will argue til Im blue in the face that a change of direction coupled with proper running of the club would increase the profitability way more than this method.

precisely.

Which method are you two referring to? The club is not being run by the same methods this season compared to last season. Last season was different to the season before. I dont see any method which is consistent across the last 3 seasons.

There is an offer of a 100 quid bet for charity on the table for anyone who wants to claim Carroll will be sold this window. :huff:

I would take the bet however theres too many factors. My logic on it is that if a bid of £20m was to come in for Carroll then Ashley would accept it. Trouble with betting on that is I lose should no bid come in, Carroll breaks his leg, the club is sold, Redknapp has a heart attack etc etc

Well neither you are Leazes have said which method you are referring to. I still dont see the clear consistent and predictable patterns that you both claim to see.

As for the bet, first thing i would say is that football chairman dont arrive at work one morning, check the fax machine and go 'oooh look, a 22m offer for Carroll has arrived'. Enquiries get made first, then offers are made. If, as you say, the club are willing to sell him then Redknapp would know that by now. It seems not to be the case though.

For the leg break, club sold, Redknapp heart attack bit, these are events of such low probability that the 100 quid bet is therefore a bet against these happening.

Are you not prepared to bet 100 on those three not happening? I would if i was certain they were the only possible things standing in the way of him being sold. Am not trying to force the bet here either, am just using it as tool to get under the logic of what people are saying. I might be wrong on this but you dont buy Ben Arfa and then sell the player who he can supply goals to in the same window. As much as nothing much under this lot has made sense, it doesnt fit with the last 2 windows or yesterday's news.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yet I again I have to point out that the common misconception of the policy of picking up players while young and then developing them and selling at a profit, only applies to those young players that don't quite develop as hoped and therefore don't make the grade at NUFC, but perhaps will in the Championship or at lower EPL teams where they can be sold at a profit.

I have no doubt this misconception is being deliberatly perpetuated by some fans who simply want a stick with which to beat Ashley over the head.

The whole concept is so we can unearth stars of the future like Carroll and not have to pay £20m to £30m to buy them, so why on earth would we sell him?

That may be your perception however it doesnt fit in with the statements made previously by the club.

As Ive said earlier you cant impose a tight wage cap and expect to hold onto players that other clubs are valuing at £20m. That is why we would sell him.

Should that not be that it does not fit with your perception of statements made previously by the club?

Well you're going on your perception of statements made by the club. In fairness to PP, there's more evidence to be a non believer than a sympathiser like yourself.

I'm not going to get into a argument over this because it is patently obvious I am right, some of you clearly subscribe to the chinese whispers interpretation of club statements, so believe what you like pal ok!

To who? You?

What are you right about? It's not an argument flower, it's a discussion.

What you believe is that our policy is to groom youngsters and if they don't make the grade ship them out to lesser clubs? That's an unwritten policy at every club throughout the land, patently. On the flipside, anyone who we groom and makes the grade and attracts offers from bigger clubs then I've no doubt in my mind that he'd cash in if the price is right. If someone bids £30m for Carroll he'll be gone. No if's, no but's, he'll be gone.

To place Ashley as some footballing mastermind who'll sacrifice his own pocket to build a successful club is laughable to be honest.

Yet I again I have to point out that the common misconception of the policy of picking up players while young and then developing them and selling at a profit, only applies to those young players that don't quite develop as hoped and therefore don't make the grade at NUFC, but perhaps will in the Championship or at lower EPL teams where they can be sold at a profit.

I have no doubt this misconception is being deliberatly perpetuated by some fans who simply want a stick with which to beat Ashley over the head.

The whole concept is so we can unearth stars of the future like Carroll and not have to pay £20m to £30m to buy them, so why on earth would we sell him?

Common sense at last.

I would be interested if PP would link to these so called statements saying we were going to buy young future stars and then sell them when they come good.

I can't recall it.

Where I differ with MA is in the model itself, becoming a feeder club to increase the profitability of the club is not the model I want us to have and I will argue til Im blue in the face that a change of direction coupled with proper running of the club would increase the profitability way more than this method.

precisely.

Which method are you two referring to? The club is not being run by the same methods this season compared to last season. Last season was different to the season before. I dont see any method which is consistent across the last 3 seasons.

There is an offer of a 100 quid bet for charity on the table for anyone who wants to claim Carroll will be sold this window. :)

as PP says, short term is unpredictable, but the effects of the long term are different altogether. If we don't build and aim to go higher, more than Carroll will eventually leave ie Tiote, Ben Arfa, Enrique will realise they would be more likely to play in europe and win trophies somewhere else.

Your so fucking negative at times.

We are building! That's why we have the likes of Tiote and Ben Arfa. That's why we are not selling Carrol. That's why we are not selling Enrique .

That's why we have some very good young prospects in the reserves, bought because of Ashleys policy.

That's why we are 8th in the league

That's why we have a team that is looking better and better.

That's why we are higher in the league than when Ashley bought us.

You numpty.

bugger off man :nufc: I was the most positive poster on here when we had a good board..... :huff: I'm one of the most positive people going, I always think we can win every game, taking a game at a time, but the setup of the club and a realistic view is entirely different.

We may be 8th in the league, but its very tight. Those 2 very good wins have taken us clear of the bottom just when we were starting to look downwards. Things can change quickly, thats all you do, take one game at a time. We could win our next few games, starting with Saturday, beat the mackems, win a 4th round FA Cup tie and the place will be optimistic as fuck, thats just football. We could also lose on Saturday, lose a few league games and find ourselves 3 points above the drop zone again.

Building is all about improving while you are on a high, which is why now, during this transfer window, he needs to consolidate and consolidate well with a positive and quality signing to show the intent.

Common sense at last.

I would be interested if PP would link to these so called statements saying we were going to buy young future stars and then sell them when they come good.

I can't recall it.

Well, where are the statements and actions to back up what Brazilian Bob's saying?

Edit: Plus, he didn't say what the statements were, he basically said 'Brazilian Bobs perception doesn't fit with that of the club'

Edited by Mac-Toon

Common sense at last.

I can't recall it.

Your selective memory is unlikely to tbf.

I'll hunt them out but they refer to the purchasing criteria that Llambias drew up which clearly referred to future resale value.

There's more than a whiff of the ridiculous about both extremes of the spectrum imo. Although the paranoia around Ashley is more understandable than the people making out he's got some sort of masterplan. The latter seemingly being intent on winding-up fellow fans, which should tell you all you need to know about them tbh.

It says something about the competence of the previous lot when you can take over a club that finished 14th in the table, turn it into an unambitious selling club and be 8th in the table. :huff:

Edited by AshleysSkidMark

Common sense at last.

I can't recall it.

I'll hunt them out but they refer to the purchasing criteria that Llambias drew up which clearly referred to future resale value.

I look forward to seeing said club statements.

Common sense at last.

I can't recall it.

Likewise, I look forward to seeing those to contrary.

.... Baited breath.

I can't recall it.

Not sure about what they said....because whatever they come out with is bollocks 90% of the time anyway. But a young lad like Bassong bought for nothing and on one of the lowest wages at the club being sold for profit suggests they have no qualms about selling our best young players. It could hardly be included in clearing out the dead wood.

Common sense at last.

I can't recall it.

.... Baited breath.

Pleased you said that, I think Bob must have me on ignore or something.

That fucking pair of cunts, wanting players to have resale value. They should be signing players like Luque for £10m, then begging clubs to take them for nowt to get them off the wage bill :huff: You're pathetic peasepud.

Common sense at last.

I can't recall it.

.... Baited breath.

Why are people believing club statements anyway. Take for example Hughtons vote of confidence, Derek Llambias saying 'Shearer was the best decision they made' etc etc

Are you not prepared to bet 100?

You should be giving odds tbh.

It's not an expectation, it's a concern.

I think any side with Carroll in who had just come up from the economic wilderness of the championship would be (and should be) concerned about keeping him.

My point is that the best predictor of events in this window is the last window not the one where Given got sold or the one before that. If your opinion hasnt changed after signing Ben Arfa yesterday, you'll have to explain why to me.

We sell him, i donate a 100 to a charity of your choice. We keep him and you do the same. Nae odds.

I can't recall it.

Not sure about what they said....because whatever they come out with is bollocks 90% of the time anyway. But a young lad like Bassong bought for nothing and on one of the lowest wages at the club being sold for profit suggests they have no qualms about selling our best young players. It could hardly be included in clearing out the dead wood.

He wanted to leave because we got relegated man, not because we wanted to sell our best young players. Unbelievable that people include the selling of players after a relegation as part of the criteria that we're a selling club.

I can't recall it.

We got relegated, different circumstances.

Common sense at last.

I can't recall it.

.... Baited breath.

Why are people believing club statements anyway. Take for example Hughtons vote of confidence, Derek Llambias saying 'Shearer was the best decision they made' etc etc

I'm not even arsed (within) reason about what they say. Actions speak louder than words and all that.

It says something about the competence of the previous lot when you can take over a club that finished 14th in the table, turn it into an unambitious selling club and be 8th in the table. :huff:

via relegation.

Inevitable, when Shepherd has littered the club with overpaid SHITE that we couldn't move on because they were too happy here on their astronomical wages, TBH

via relegation.

Inevitable, when Shepherd has littered the club with overpaid SHITE that we couldn't move on because they were too happy here on their astronomical wages, TBH

Alan Smith.