Stephen Ireland...

Shear3r

On the back of thinking about Bent to Villa, I started thinking about Stephen Ireland...

Houllier wants rid of him, supposedly on the same principles he wanted to sell Paul Ince when he took the reigns at Liverpool; he saw Ince as a senior play having a bad influence on the younger players.

The arguement...

Ireland showed at Man City that he is an extremely talented footballer, he was their Player of the Season a couple of years ago and at one point was mooted as Sir Alex's long-term replacement for Scholes at Man U (I think the figure banded around on BBC gossip was a fee of £20 million). Once City signed Robinho, to much of upset of many City fans Ireland was relegated to the bench to be used as an impact sub. Little playing time later and he was then sold to Villa as part of the Milner transfer.

Now admittedly he hasn't being playing to the standards of his old form, but he is still young, with plenty premier league experience and I feel he could just be looking for someone to reignite his career. Personally I believe has the character to handle playing for Newcastle, although I accept he would have to settle as still being a bench-warmer, bar any injuries, if he recaptured his old form we would benefit hugely.

He is rumoured to be available for transfer and I don't think Villa will demand a lot of money, thoughts on if he's worth the risk?

For sake of this discussion I imagine he'd be available around the 4 million mark.

Edited by Shear3r

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few things really. Wages for one. Villa will want a lot of money for another. I also think he's only really effective in a sort of free role in a middle 3. Not sure he'd fit in basically.

A few things really. Wages for one. Villa will want a lot of money for another. I also think he's only really effective in a sort of free role in a middle 3. Not sure he'd fit in basically.

Doubt his wages are that much. Anyone have any idea? Free role in the middle, like Nolan? Surely that works for us? I'm a massive Nolan fan, infact I'd argue he is just, if not more valuable than Joey Barton at this moment in time, but we have nobody else who can play that central free role. He would be a worthwhile risk IMO.

no

he was unhappy sitting on the bench at man city so went to villa. he's unhappy at villa because theyre shit and frustrated because he's been playing shit.

you're right that he USED to be good a few years ago, but yet again, our history of signing players who USED to be good a few years ago speaks for itself. plus, why would he leave man city for regular football, get it at villa, and then leave villa to sit on our bench? tiote, nolan, benny, barton all ahead of him from what ive seen with gosling yet to show me and guthrie with potential (and a good second half against sunderland) could also offer more.

no thanks. if we're to add a midfielder it has to be pure dm cover for tiote, like sissoko

Doubt his wages are that much. Anyone have any idea? Free role in the middle, like Nolan? Surely that works for us? I'm a massive Nolan fan, infact I'd argue he is just, if not more valuable than Joey Barton at this moment in time, but we have nobody else who can play that central free role. He would be a worthwhile risk IMO.

What makes you think he's not on much money? He didn't want to go to Villa so I doubt he'd leave the richest club in the world © for a pay cut. I'd say Ben Arfa could play Ireland's favoured position too and we've just signed him permanently. Also, while Nolan has also thrived in the past in the free role in a three (at Bolton), he's actually having to play a more disciplined role now and he's a lot more physical than Ireland which suits our style of play. I like Ireland but I can't agree with your last comment as I think he'd be a massive risk because, as others have said, he's a bit of a crackerjack (I'm factoring into that risk the fee and wages, neither of which would be insignificant imo).

It's a strange one, not sure quite why he suddenly turned so shit.

Anyway, the fella is a complete cunt. Refused to play for his country for years and has recently come out and said that he'd consider a return because it'd 'put him in the shop window'. He can fuck right off.

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club

I think you'd need Nolan out the way for him to fit in. Besides we've had enough charvers. I wouldn't be chucking myself off the Swing Bridge if we signed him, but not value for money imo, not what we need, especially with HBA back soon.

Needs to be the main man, as he was to an extent in that good season he had at City. Quality player but he is a headcase and if his head isn't right, he wont give a shit about playing.

I know it's been discussed on here, but faking your nana's death, regardless of the reasons, you have to question him as a person, not to mention spending 10k on putting his motor in Man City colours.

Needs to be the main man, as he was to an extent in that good season he had at City. Quality player but he is a headcase and if his head isn't right, he wont give a shit about playing.

I know it's been discussed on here, but faking your nana's death, regardless of the reasons, you have to question him as a person, not to mention spending 10k on putting his motor in Man City colours.

Twice iirc :lol:

Did he do it twice? Oh my god. I thought it was the once to get out of playing for Eire.

He's a little dick head at the end of the day. I like the way we go out on the pitch these days even when we are more limited than opponents. He's the reverse of that. The last thing you need is him in his colour coded R8 and Superman Recarro bucket seats turning the car park into a fucking Supermarket burn out splashed across the back pages of Max Power.

He's a little dick head at the end of the day. I like the way we go out on the pitch these days even when we are more limited than opponents. He's the reverse of that. The last thing you need is him in his colour coded R8 and Superman Recarro bucket seats turning the car park into a fucking Supermarket burn out splashed across the back pages of Max Power.

:lol::nah::lol: Nicely put.

He faked his family's deaths because he couldn't handle going bald at a young age. First he had hair-plugs/wig or whatever and the squad ripped the piss out of him for it, so he ended up refusing to play and came up with that nonsense as the reason. You can't trust a bloke in a wig, he's shaved it now and accepted it but the kid is an absolute plonker.

He faked his family's deaths because he couldn't handle going bald at a young age. First he had hair-plugs/wig or whatever and the squad ripped the piss out of him for it, so he ended up refusing to play and came up with that nonsense as the reason. You can't trust a bloke in a wig, he's shaved it now and accepted it but the kid is an absolute plonker.

His wife looks like she's had more nobs than a door factory, but apparently she came across really canny on some reality show. Didn't he spend £250k on a fish tank as well?

Twice iirc :nah:

Did he do it twice? Oh my god. I thought it was the once to get out of playing for Eire.

It was. He told them one granny had died and when they found out it was a lie he told them it was the other one. :lol:

To the tune of Molly Malone:

'Alive, alive oh,

alive, alive oh,

Stephen Ireland's two grannies,

alive, alive oh'

It was. He told them one granny had died and when they found out it was a lie he told them it was the other one. :lol:

To the tune of Molly Malone:

'Alive, alive oh,

alive, alive oh,

Stephen Ireland's two grannies,

alive, alive oh'

:nah: I wonder what the grannies had to say.

Can't remember the details but didn't he claim it was to cover up his lass having some illness / medical problem (miscarriage) and then that turned out to be a lie too?