Chelsea bid 35 mill for Torres

Christmas Tree

Anelka, Suarez and a big name signing in the Summer would be my preference if I supported them.

This season isn't a write-off but they can't really expect to get anything more than a spot in the Europe League from it.

Some major restructuring in the Summer and they'll be back in the top 4.

Dunno about that tbh, Man U, Arsenal. Chelsea, Man City and even the spuds are well ahead of them at this point in time. They'd need restructuring on a scale that I doubt they can afford to get back into the top 4 imo. Reina, maybe Meireles, Gerrard and Torres are their only players who would get into those sides and even those are debatable.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Torres is a notable yardstick for Spain's current level of productivity on the world stage, or should i say Spain finally jumping out from their underperformers tag at the major tournaments. Brings aggression and some backbone [mental toughness] to the table, to compliment his technical excellence. That combination of mental toughness & aggression was something that was berefit among Spain's once mooted golden generation which included the likes of Raul & De La Pena etc. Dismissive talk of him [re: his ability] using phrasing like 'he is gash' is naive & shortsighted.

But like others have said his career is in need of reinvention at the moment whether that be in the form of a change in scenery [ie. club change or a major reshaping of Liverpool's current striking options] as his application has tailed off in recent times. Perhaps Saurez [an on-field firebrand, and a very good all-round footballer: there are similarities between Bellamy & Suarez imo, and Bellamy has been a cracking foil over the years for more celebrated strikers] can bring out the best in him, act as a catalyst for a reversal in form.

Contradictory

Even Shearer's [well regarded for his mental toughness & agression] on-field application suffered under Gullit. I'd go far as saying that his body language & attitude stank during the above mentioned manager's reign. Sometimes all the mechanics at club-level [from managment level - interpersonal manmanagement, to a on field playing role that player isn't entirely comfortable with - to on-field chemistry among the playing group] have to be aligned. Sometimes there's a fine balance needed, and it can be easy for it all go belly up, there are often shades of grey involved that can lead to a decline in a player's productivity & application.

For somebody who sees the world of football in purely black & white terms [and therein is all too quick pull the 'that player is gash' trigger, contrary to footballing ability] i'll understand if this sort of point swiftly flies over you.

"He is gash" was an overall statement. Injury prone and can't be arsed counteract any technical ability he has. His goalscoring record isn't stunning barring one season. What about the world cup, was the chemistry not right there too?

I presume we're talking about the same player who failed to fire at the WC. This is the same Torres who entered the WC with a lack of match fitness under his belt, coming off knee surgery.

You really do have a negative obsession towards figures [players & club administrators/chairman alike] who have provided supporters with a semblance of enjoyment over the years irrespective of what country or club they follow.

Torres is a notable yardstick for Spain's current level of productivity on the world stage, or should i say Spain finally jumping out from their underperformers tag at the major tournaments. Brings aggression and some backbone [mental toughness] to the table, to compliment his technical excellence. That combination of mental toughness & aggression was something that was berefit among Spain's once mooted golden generation which included the likes of Raul & De La Pena etc. Dismissive talk of him [re: his ability] using phrasing like 'he is gash' is naive & shortsighted.

But like others have said his career is in need of reinvention at the moment whether that be in the form of a change in scenery [ie. club change or a major reshaping of Liverpool's current striking options] as his application has tailed off in recent times. Perhaps Saurez [an on-field firebrand, and a very good all-round footballer: there are similarities between Bellamy & Suarez imo, and Bellamy has been a cracking foil over the years for more celebrated strikers] can bring out the best in him, act as a catalyst for a reversal in form.

Contradictory

Even Shearer's [well regarded for his mental toughness & agression] on-field application suffered under Gullit. I'd go far as saying that his body language & attitude stank during the above mentioned manager's reign. Sometimes all the mechanics at club-level [from managment level - interpersonal manmanagement, to a on field playing role that player isn't entirely comfortable with - to on-field chemistry among the playing group] have to be aligned. Sometimes there's a fine balance needed, and it can be easy for it all go belly up, there are often shades of grey involved that can lead to a decline in a player's productivity & application.

For somebody who sees the world of football in purely black & white terms [and therein is all too quick pull the 'that player is gash' trigger, contrary to footballing ability] i'll understand if this sort of point swiftly flies over you.

"He is gash" was an overall statement. Injury prone and can't be arsed counteract any technical ability he has. His goalscoring record isn't stunning barring one season. What about the world cup, was the chemistry not right there too?

I presume we're talking about the same player who failed to fire at the WC. This is the same Torres who entered the WC with a lack of match fitness under his belt, coming off knee surgery.

You really do have a negative obsession towards figures [players & club administrators/chairman alike] who have provided supporters with a semblance of enjoyment over the years irrespective of what country or club they follow.

An injury before the world cup? Torres? Injured? I'll be damned.

Contradictory

An injury before the world cup? Torres? Injured? I'll be damned.

When fit, unlike his predecessors [Raul & Morientes: products of Spain's previous & failed golden generation] he's somebody who has some fire in his belly.

Relive some of the Spain's greatest moments against unfancied opposition [against one zip-eyed Asian outfit in particular, when they were intimidated & outmuscled by a pack of midgets] prior to the true emergence of the likes of Torres, Xavi & Iniesta, after some the above mentioned & much hyped up chokers had wound up the respective international careers

Torres has more than proven his worth at International level [at major tourneys] in the last major tournament cycle.

We done this?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/...ndo-Torres.html

LIVERPOOL fan Shaun McCormack got himself a new name for Christmas - and is now called Fernando Torres.

The dad of four, 36, changed his name by deed poll to match that of his Spanish football hero.

The internet trader said: "It's a dream come true. I know he isn't having the greatest of seasons but, for me, he's the best striker on the planet.

"I did think about changing my name to Steven Gerrard, but I wanted something a little more flamboyant."

Shaun, from Scunthorpe, Lincs, is now putting his new moniker on his birth certificate and registering it with his bank.

We done this?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/...ndo-Torres.html

LIVERPOOL fan Shaun McCormack got himself a new name for Christmas - and is now called Fernando Torres.

The dad of four, 36, changed his name by deed poll to match that of his Spanish football hero.

The internet trader said: "It's a dream come true. I know he isn't having the greatest of seasons but, for me, he's the best striker on the planet.

"I did think about changing my name to Steven Gerrard, but I wanted something a little more flamboyant."

Shaun, from Scunthorpe, Lincs, is now putting his new moniker on his birth certificate and registering it with his bank.

Quality.

• 3 months later...