Ashley's Transfer History thread

Happy Face

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Backing your manager, which means allowing him to manage his own players and backing him to build and improve rather than force him to sell and replace cheaply." -- Canny definition LM, which online dictionary did you get that from?, or if you didn't can i have a go???

Backing your manager -- Allowing him to sign players that will improve the team and move the club forward. How's that??

who are you ? Are you some sort of 12 year old gimp from Singapore ?

Aside of that, if you don't understand how football success has been achieved by every successful club since football began............then you must be a 12 year old from Singapore [especially one who thinks the Halls and Shepherd brought an end to decades of trophies and glory]. Laughable.

Edit

unfortunately, there seems to be more posters attracted here of a Newcastle Online mentality.

Hopefully not.

I dont recall EVER having mentioned either the Halls or Shepherds on here, but if you feel the need to falsely attribute something to me (so you can shift the thread into one of your standard five themes,) instead of responding to my point then go ahead.

It says a lot that the first thing to pop into your mind is a 12yr old asian, I'm assuming Thailand is on your list of places to visit?

To paraphrase you for a moment LM "Why wont u answer my question?" The question being "Would you agree or disagree with my definition of backing your manager?"

"Backing your manager, which means allowing him to manage his own players and backing him to build and improve rather than force him to sell and replace cheaply." -- Canny definition LM, which online dictionary did you get that from?, or if you didn't can i have a go???

Backing your manager -- Allowing him to sign players that will improve the team and move the club forward. How's that??

Well this didn't happen as Sir Bobby says in his book that Gary Speed was sold behind his back and only found out about the transfer when he was saying his goodbyes...

You've jumped in ahead of yourself here mate, I'm just asking what people think of that definition of backing a manager, think generically if u like, doesnt have to be NUFC specific yet.

• 4 weeks later...

Was interested to see what Ashley has actually spent on players since he got here, totting up gross spend....

Summer 2007

Joey Barton £5,800,000

Abdoulaye Faye £2,000,000

Alan Smith £6,000,000

Habib Beye £2,000,000

Jose Enrique £6,000,000

David Rozenhal £3,100,000

Total = £24.9m

January 2008

Fabio Zamblera £300,000

Total = £300K

Summer 2008

Danny Guthrie £2,500,000

Jonas Gutierrez £5,200,000

Fabricio Coloccini £9,100,000

Francisco Jiminez Tejada "Xisco" £5,000,000

Total = £21.8m

January 2009

Kevin Nolan £4,000,000

Total = £4m

Summer 2009

None

Total = £0

January 2010

Danny Simpson £1,000,000

Wayne Routledge £1,000,000

Mike Williamson £1,000,000

Leon Best £1,000,000

Total = £4m

Summer 2010

James Perch £1,000,000

Cheick Tiote £3,500,000

Total = £4.5 Million Spend

January 2011

Hatem Ben Arfa £5,750,000

Total = £5.75m

Summer 2011

Yohan Cabaye £4,300,000

Gabriel Obertan £3,250,000

Rob Elliot £100,000

Davide Santon £5,300,000

Total = £12.95m

January 2012

Papiss Demba Cissé £10,000,000

Total = £10m

GRAND TOTAL = £88.2m

An average re-investment onto the pitch of £17.6m a year over 5 years.

By way of comparison, I've also looked at who we signed in the 5 years prior to Ashley arriving....

Viana £8,500,000

Bramble £4,500,000

Woodgate £9,000,000

Ambrose £2,500,000

Milner £5,000,000

Butt £2,000,000

Nzogbia £250,000

Carr £2,000,000

Faye £2,000,000

Babayaro £1,000,000

Boumsong £8,000,000

Parker £6,500,000

Emre £3,800,000

Luque £9,500,000

Owen £17,000,000

Solano £1,500,000

Duff £5,000,000

Martins £10,140,000

Total - £98.15million

Which is an average of £19.63m a year.

Amazing that we have such entrenched views of which owner wasted so much money opposed to which one is so wise and thrifty, or which one had ambition and was willing to back the manager as opposed to which one is filling his pockets.

All on the back of £2m a year.

:lol:

Don't you need to consider money raised from sales too if you're going to make any meaningful comparison?

Ashley's brought a lot more in has he not?

Don't you need to consider money raised from sales too if you're going to make any meaningful comparison?

That's what the OP and the entire thread is about. Look at page 1 if you want the latest balance there.

I was interested to see what was actually being spent on the field though, irrespective of what any other club is daft enough to pay us for our players, what are we willing to go and pay for players from other clubs.

He has but its a very interesting perspective. You can look at it a few ways. The spends are similar yet we know Ashley has recouped a hell of a lot more. You cant say it is because MA only sells our top players either as the previous 5 we sold players like Viana, Chopra, Boumsong, Jenas, Robert, Bellamy etc.

Edited by JawD

He has but its a very interesting perspective. You can look at it a few ways. The spends are similar yet we know Ashley has recouped a hell of a lot more. You cant say it is because MA only sells our top players either as the previous 5 we sold players like Viana, Chopra, Boumsong, Jenas, Robert, Bellamy etc.

you could, but it's not so simple as that is it ? Robert and Bellamy fell out with the manager [yes, we know] and Viana, Chopra and Boumsong were all not good enough, 2 of them were mistakes, and half of europe were after Viana at the time but he chose Newcastle ahead of Liverpool too for that matter. Only Jenas remains, and he was sold for other documented problems.

None of those players were sold for purely monetary reasons, whereas recent players at the club have been, and will continue to be sold for that reason.

This is a big, big difference.

Edited by LeazesMag

He's recouped a hell of a lot more when you look at transfers alone, but he had to cover the cost of relegation (his mistakes) with that too. NUFC have had to keep on borrowing to maintain the level of spending we have over the last 5 years.

Edited by Happy Face

He's recouped a hell of a lot more when you look at transfers alone, but he had to cover the cost of relegation (his mistakes) with that too. NUFC have had to keep on borrowing to maintain the level of spending we have over the last 5 years.

Completely agree about the relegation comment. In my opinion the sole reason we were relegated was because of him fucking around with managers. The frequency of change and the shambolic way it was handled, no wonder the players didnt have a clue. Joe fucking Kinnear? All time low for the club.

That's what the OP and the entire thread is about.

Oh aye. :blush2::lol:

you could, but it's not so simple as that is it ? Robert and Bellamy fell out with the manager [yes, we know] and Viana, Chopra and Boumsong were all not good enough, 2 of them were mistakes, and half of europe were after Viana at the time but he chose Newcastle ahead of Liverpool too for that matter. Only Jenas remains, and he was sold for other documented problems.

None of those players were sold for purely monetary reasons, whereas recent players at the club have been, and will continue to be sold for that reason.

This is a big, big difference.

There is a big difference I agree, Carroll would have stayed but the offer was OTT. But Barton, he fell out with the club like Bellamy did. Woodgate and Hamann left I think for money and brighter things like Jenas.

I digress though, I agree with the point that if asked, I doubt anyone would think MA had spent near the same amount as the club did in the 5 years before he came. Not the balance of in/out, just spent.

Doesn't include £10m for Cissé or the £6.8m agent fees, which we were top 3 for in the ranking.

and then the thread dies :lol:

That's not to mention the practical 'lotto win' the club had with Carroll. 70% of the clubs on that list (conservative estimate) wouldn't have turned down that sort of money for a player in Carroll's position and invested all the money back into the side.

Doesn't include £10m for Cissé or the £6.8m agent fees, which we were top 3 for in the ranking.

That's not to mention the practical 'lotto win' the club had with Carroll. 70% of the clubs on that list (conservative estimate) wouldn't have turned down that sort of money for a player in Carroll's position and invested all the money back into the side.

I know you've been conservative, but I doubt there is a team on the planet that would have turned down £35m for Andy Carroll. if he was local Man U lad that'd done ok and Real Madrid had come sniffing, £35m? They'd have snapped their fucking hands off and laughed all the way to the bank.

That's right. It's from September 2011. If you have a later version hoy it up, otherwise you'll have to envisage where we'd be following the jan business. About the Sunderland level I think.

The chart suggests that the percentages are the other way round. 65% spend every penny they pull in.

But aye, we've gone the arsenal, spurs, mackem route when pulling in big money, rather than the liverpool, man u one.

Show of intent if there's truth in it. Rewarding our best players with improved contracts. It's the right thing to do a long as its not a tactic aimed to hike up a transfer fee in the summer ala Carroll.