Right to sell Andy Carroll?

trophyshy

Too good to refuse or a lost opportunity?  

77 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Let's see what you think then?

I appreciate to keep him we would have had to increase his pay etc, but just in simplistic terms. Right or not?

Edited by trophyshy

It's difficult for me, in a normal football club £35m would be too good to turn down for a player who's only been a first team regular for 18 months (12 of which were in the Championship). IF the money is reinvested properly then it's a good move imo, however the likelihood is it'll just go towards Ashley's continued raping of the club.

It puts our survival in the premier league in jeaopardy. our forward line is the weakest i've seen in over 2 decades.

just my opinion of course.

Another thing was as a player he was getting better and better. so very frustrating.

just for the avoidance of doubt; I am FUCKING disgusted and still furious at this sale, and yet unsurprised and tragically resigned.

Doomed, just fucking doomed.

Impact on lost morale seemed to have been managed following Chris's departure, but this will rebound the Hughton affair and Pardew will now have no credibility with the players. His best hope is to try and establish a 'them and us' seige mentality by backing the players and agreeing they are all in the same boat - steered erratically by a porcine megalomaniac fucktard.

but I think Pards is an MA lacky, a dishonourable brown nosing guttersnipe. So it won't happen.

Just avoid relegation thanks to some old heads who do it for the fans.

Edited by trophyshy

No.

With our current strike force it's a massive gamble and sends out the message to fans, players and potential signings that we are content with being a selling club with little ambition.

He actually had a chance to get a few fans back on side by fighting to keep him and build a team around him.

As it stands he's done exactly what most fans thought he would do by pocketing the cash, couple of undisclosed deals in the summer (with wages) and he'll be telling us that the cash has all gone back in the club

Edited by Daveymac

It's difficult for me, in a normal football club £35m would be too good to turn down for a player who's only been a first team regular for 18 months (12 of which were in the Championship). IF the money is reinvested properly then it's a good move imo, however the likelihood is it'll just go towards Ashley's continued raping of the club.

Pretty much my thoughts.

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club

Put everything on the other poll that I need to, put yeah £35,000,000 (THIRTY FIVE) * VIDIPRINTER. Astonished people think we should've turned it down tbh. How they did the business, very sly imo however.

Totally the wrong decision, 35m is a lot of money but we have to ask the question, what did NUFC need more, 35m or a 20 goal a season striker ? The answer is easy.

Some might argue that we could buy a replacement, I disagree, there are very few players in the world who could fill Carroll's boots and then factor in the difficulty of attracting a player of that stature to NUFC.

It's simply impossible.

Totally the wrong decision, 35m is a lot of money but we have to ask the question, what did NUFC need more, 35m or a 20 goal a season striker ? The answer is easy.

Some might argue that we could buy a replacement, I disagree, there are very few players in the world who could fill Carroll's boots and then factor in the difficulty of attracting a player of that stature to NUFC.

It's simply impossible.

Agree with this.

Under AN Other owner I would have seen this as a fantastic bit of scouse mugging especially considering his off the field problems.

As our current squad stands £35m spent on 4 or 5 quality additions to the team would have seen us looking upwards, instead by selling and not bringing anyone in we're looking over our shoulders.

It's hard to decide as we are short up front now as a result of this, but Andy Caroll is not worth 35million of anyones money and if he had to go it was a great price in a crazy market. Personally i'll be happy enough if we stay up and reinvest the money in a few new signings come the summer, but whether we do that or not remains to be seen.

no. he could have justified cashing in if the money paid for two or three quality additions to the squad. as it stands, we have a bag full of cash that isn't being spent on improving the team plus an andy carroll size hole up front. so while selling him for the inflated fee could have been in the best interests of the club, it was wrong because of the way it was handled.

another fine mess basically.

Guest You FCB Get Out Of Our Club
people said £15mill was crazy when we bought Shearer.

Was he poor value?

Carroll is not Shearer and never will be. I'd say also he's been quite average in half the games he's played this season, it's not like he's been this unstoppable force in every game.

AC has made serious steps in the past 18 months and has massive potential. Add Europe to the equation he is going to get even better, something we cannot currently offer him. His contract ends When he's like 27, a prime age for a striker, and with a bit of luck he'll wanna come home. In an ideal scenario we sign him on a free, mugging those dirty bin dippers for £35m and gain a vastly improved player. If we can stay up and with some reinvestment in a decent striker in the summer, I can see this being a good move. But I am forever the optimist.

Right to sell, wrong to not bring in a loan.

Hopefully the money will be spent wisely over a few years and not blown to appease fans.

Well I don't think it'll be blown to appease the fans, to allay some of your fears.

Put everything on the other poll that I need to, put yeah £35,000,000 (THIRTY FIVE) * VIDIPRINTER. Astonished people think we should've turned it down tbh. How they did the business, very sly imo however.

It's not that is not a good price, it's that we all know we are highly unlikely to replace him with anyone nearly as effective.

Edited by trophyshy

Hopefully the money will be spent wisely over a few years and not blown to appease fans.

Well I don't think it'll be blown to appease the fans, to allay some of your fears.

;)

N'Zogbia..... 12m.... :D

:icon_lol:

;) At anyone believing that bid was genuine tbh.

:icon_lol: at anyone who would be appeased with that deal.

:icon_lol: at anyone who would be appeased with that deal.

Ashley and Whelan have a history (JJB/SportsDirect). So while I think it was to wind Whelan up. I do feel he'd have gone through with it to send Wigan down.