Pardew on Ashley, Finances and Future

Christmas Tree

Admits he'd have accepted the £35 million offer (so Leazes was wrong saying tell Liverpool to fuck off then?), but claims Alan won't see any of it. We'll wait and see.

no I'm not. If you read properly, I always say that you should do what the manager decides what to do with his team. If my manager said to sell and he would use the money to put together a better team, then you do what he decides [like he did with Cole] but it is his decision and his job depends on how well he does. Simple as that. But he gets all the money to do what he wants to do with it, it's called giving him the tools to do the job properly

Pardew said he didn't want to sell Carroll, so the club should have told Liverpool to fuck off.

So how do you pay the debts you're creating if you're losing money each season? Your manager isn't a qualified accountant, would you be happy to allow the club's financial strings to be pulled by a man that left school with few qualifications?

Well, you should try explaining that to about 17 premiership clubs who are all about to go into admnistration, if that is what you are saying ?

Of course, I'm sure you know best :rolleyes: why don't you email your masterplan to Alex Ferguson and save ManU a few hundred million quid they have wasted on footballers :rolleyes:

What? Man Utd don't operate at a loss because of previous failed gambles do they? And if they were operating at a loss, I'm sure the club would recongise that it'd take more financial management than an ex footballer could provide to balance the books ;)

And you shouldn't be blaming Shepherd for Ashley running the club like a corner shop either. He's chosen a path which is taking the club into decline. Keegan did alright as NUFC manager by the way ;)

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Admits he'd have accepted the £35 million offer (so Leazes was wrong saying tell Liverpool to fuck off then?), but claims Alan won't see any of it. We'll wait and see.

no I'm not. If you read properly, I always say that you should do what the manager decides what to do with his team. If my manager said to sell and he would use the money to put together a better team, then you do what he decides [like he did with Cole] but it is his decision and his job depends on how well he does. Simple as that. But he gets all the money to do what he wants to do with it, it's called giving him the tools to do the job properly

Pardew said he didn't want to sell Carroll, so the club should have told Liverpool to fuck off.

So how do you pay the debts you're creating if you're losing money each season? Your manager isn't a qualified accountant, would you be happy to allow the club's financial strings to be pulled by a man that left school with few qualifications?

Well, you should try explaining that to about 17 premiership clubs who are all about to go into admnistration, if that is what you are saying ?

Of course, I'm sure you know best :rolleyes: why don't you email your masterplan to Alex Ferguson and save ManU a few hundred million quid they have wasted on footballers :rolleyes:

What? Man Utd don't operate at a loss because of previous failed gambles do they? And if they were operating at a loss, I'm sure the club would recongise that it'd take more financial management than an ex footballer could provide to balance the books ;)

And you shouldn't be blaming Shepherd for Ashley running the club like a corner shop either. He's chosen a path which is taking the club into decline. Keegan did alright as NUFC manager by the way ;)

It's what happens on the pitch, not the balance sheet.

We've inclined.

None of your post relates to what I've typed, don't really know how I'm supposed to react.

Edited by AshleysSkidMark

We've inclined.

None of your post relates to what I've typed, don't really know how I'm supposed to react.

I know that the club will never, ever match those champions league or european qualifications of the previous regime, and I know that we will continue to lose top footballers who will want to leave the club when they realise the limit of ambition is just stay in the premiership. THAT is on the pitch, which has a direct influence on the revenues, which influences on the pitch etc [round and round]. Get the idea ?

Anyway. I'm off now. You're hard work, again.

We've inclined.

I know that the club will never, ever match those champions league or european qualifications of the previous regime, and I know that we will continue to lose top footballers who will want to leave the club when they realise the limit of ambition is just stay in the premiership. THAT is on the pitch, which has a direct influence on the revenues, which influences on the pitch etc [round and round]. Get the idea ?

Anyway. I'm off now. You're hard work, again.

Is that not due to billionaires funding the clubs at the top though? Do you think Freddy would have been able to compete with them though? Or do you fail to acknowledge those because they don't suit your argument?

http://www.dailyfinance.com/article/arsena...s-after/689709/

LONDON -Premier League club Arsenal on Monday posted a loss in the six months to end-November, largely on the back of reduced player revenues and lower property sales on the site of its former ground.

A 2.5 million-pound ($4 million) loss contrasts with a 29.2 million pound profit recorded in the corresponding period in 2009.

While Arsenal made 33.9 million pounds from player sales in the 2009 offseason, primarily from the transfer of Kolo Toure and Emmanuel Adebayor to Manchester City, it only garnered an equivalent 4 million pounds in 2010.

The results were announced a day after Arsenal lost to Birmingham in the League Cup final at Wembley Stadium to leave the club still chasing its first trophy since 2005. But the Gunners are still in the Champions League and the FA Cup, while sitting second in the Premier League they haven't won since 2004.

"Rather than seeing players leave, we have actually invested in the squad so you expect to see a little bit of a change in the numbers but we're still very healthy and robust looking forward," Arsenal chief executive Ivan Gazidis said on the club website. "We've got a very young team, the average age against Barcelona (earlier this month) was just 23 years old. "

Gazidis said the club is focusing on making sure it keeps its key talents and signing them up to long-term contracts.

A closer look at the figures shows that a slowdown in property sales on the site of Arsenal's former stadium in north London contributed to the loss.

A further 50 apartments at the Highbury Square development were sold in the six months to Nov. 30, generating 22.5 million pounds. In the same period in 2009, the sale of 261 apartments brought in 96.6 million pounds.

But with just 35 apartments yet to be sold, Arsenal is focusing on strengthening its commercial operations as it tries to emulate its rival Manchester United, which has capitalized on its global brand to bring more cash into the club.

United, which is four points ahead of Arsenal in the Premier League, generated commercial revenues of 50.4 million pounds in the six months to Sept. 30. In contrast, Arsenal reported revenues of only 15.7 million in the six months to Nov. 30.

"Commercial is going to be a big focus for us, particularly globally," Gazidis said.

Arsenal's two largest shareholders are American Stan Kroenke and Russian Alisher Usmanov.

Kroenke, who owns the Denver Nuggets and Colorado Avalanche, has a 29.9 percent holding, while Usmanov owns 26 percent through his investment vehicle Red and White Holdings.

Edited by Nobby

I'd take a bet off anyone on here that the net spend in the summer will be £10m or less. The favoured 'undisclosed fee' makes it moot, but as has been said before on here, two £5m signings both on £40k/week five year deals means the Carroll money has all been 're-invested'.

And Pardoo has already publicly admitted that the money has to cover signings and wages.

If those 5m players are the quality of Tiote or Ben Arfa then I wouldn't mind if we only spent a portion of the 35 mill. I just want to see the squad progress and we particularly need to invest in decent strikers imo.

If they're the quality of James Perch or (shudder) Carlton Cole I'll be fucking furious with the fat man (again). A lot rests on Carr and Pardoo's shoulders to spend wisely, however much they get.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/article/arsena...s-after/689709/

LONDON -Premier League club Arsenal on Monday posted a loss in the six months to end-November, largely on the back of reduced player revenues and lower property sales on the site of its former ground.

A 2.5 million-pound ($4 million) loss contrasts with a 29.2 million pound profit recorded in the corresponding period in 2009.

While Arsenal made 33.9 million pounds from player sales in the 2009 offseason, primarily from the transfer of Kolo Toure and Emmanuel Adebayor to Manchester City, it only garnered an equivalent 4 million pounds in 2010.

The results were announced a day after Arsenal lost to Birmingham in the League Cup final at Wembley Stadium to leave the club still chasing its first trophy since 2005. But the Gunners are still in the Champions League and the FA Cup, while sitting second in the Premier League they haven't won since 2004.

"Rather than seeing players leave, we have actually invested in the squad so you expect to see a little bit of a change in the numbers but we're still very healthy and robust looking forward," Arsenal chief executive Ivan Gazidis said on the club website. "We've got a very young team, the average age against Barcelona (earlier this month) was just 23 years old. "

Gazidis said the club is focusing on making sure it keeps its key talents and signing them up to long-term contracts.

A closer look at the figures shows that a slowdown in property sales on the site of Arsenal's former stadium in north London contributed to the loss.

A further 50 apartments at the Highbury Square development were sold in the six months to Nov. 30, generating 22.5 million pounds. In the same period in 2009, the sale of 261 apartments brought in 96.6 million pounds.

But with just 35 apartments yet to be sold, Arsenal is focusing on strengthening its commercial operations as it tries to emulate its rival Manchester United, which has capitalized on its global brand to bring more cash into the club.

United, which is four points ahead of Arsenal in the Premier League, generated commercial revenues of 50.4 million pounds in the six months to Sept. 30. In contrast, Arsenal reported revenues of only 15.7 million in the six months to Nov. 30.

"Commercial is going to be a big focus for us, particularly globally," Gazidis said.

Arsenal's two largest shareholders are American Stan Kroenke and Russian Alisher Usmanov.

Kroenke, who owns the Denver Nuggets and Colorado Avalanche, has a 29.9 percent holding, while Usmanov owns 26 percent through his investment vehicle Red and White Holdings.

They still made an operating profit.

I'd take a bet off anyone on here that the net spend in the summer will be £10m or less. The favoured 'undisclosed fee' makes it moot, but as has been said before on here, two £5m signings both on £40k/week five year deals means the Carroll money has all been 're-invested'.

And Pardoo has already publicly admitted that the money has to cover signings and wages.

If those 5m players are the quality of Tiote or Ben Arfa then I wouldn't mind if we only spent a portion of the 35 mill. I just want to see the squad progress and we particularly need to invest in decent strikers imo.

If they're the quality of James Perch or (shudder) Carlton Cole I'll be fucking furious with the fat man (again). A lot rests on Carr and Pardoo's shoulders to spend wisely, however much they get.

Dunno how realistic it is to expect us to unearth cheap gems every summer that no-one else is looking at. I'm more inclined to think we hit the jackpot with Tiote and Ben Arfa. If we do it regularly Graham Carr is a fucking genius and needs putting on a six year contract.

Dunno how realistic it is to expect us to unearth cheap gems every summer that no-one else is looking at. I'm more inclined to think we hit the jackpot with Tiote and Ben Arfa. If we do it regularly Graham Carr is a fucking genius and needs putting on a six year contract.

I think you're right. In particular it's likely that any decent No 9 is being tracked already by loads of clubs and would cost a packet anyway. Maybe Ashley will shock us with a 20 goals a season trophy signing, eh?

* takes more Prozac *

Carr may have scouted Tiote but i dont think you can say he scouted Ben Arfa. One of the biggest names in French football, with a huge reputation, not all of it good.

Edited by ChezGiven

Something just dawned on me there. If he uses Tiote's contract as a front for a portion of the Carroll £35m, he's a sly cunt in more ways than one. Most clubs offer 4 year deals, sometimes 3, if you have someone like Rooney or Fabregas there'll be a 5 or 6 year deal knocking around. However if Ashley is factoring the wage of his entire contract as part of this 35s it makes sense for him because instead of it being £10m over 4 years, it becomes £16m over 6 years, there by knocking 16s of the said budget to sign players, when he probably hopes to get the best price possible for Tiote in the future rendering the whole thing as a front and a load of bollocks.

I don't think he's going to submit a spreadsheet at the end of the next window, apportioning where each million of the £35 million has been accounted for. He might like, but I doubt it.

NO happy face will be doing that. :rolleyes:

Carr may have scouted Tiote but i dont think you can say he scouted Ben Arfa. One of the biggest names in French football, with a huge reputation, not all of it good.

Said this elsewhere, there is no way Graham Carr has suddenly developed genius talent spotting ability like Peter Taylor [of Brian Clough's partner not the hopeless cockney who has managed about 30 lower league teams by now]. He got lucky, a great spot but lucky all the same.

You sign these bargain basement players for nowt or small fees, about 1 out of 5 or 6 will be hits and the rest will be a Perch, Lovenkrands, Routledge etc.

Said this elsewhere, there is no way Graham Carr has suddenly developed genius talent spotting ability like Peter Taylor [of Brian Clough's partner not the hopeless cockney who has managed about 30 lower league teams by now]. He got lucky, a great spot but lucky all the same.

You sign these bargain basement players for nowt or small fees, about 1 out of 5 or 6 will be hits and the rest will be a Perch, Lovenkrands, Routledge etc.

Perch is the only of those three that hasn't worked out tbh.

Lovenkrands scored 3 in 12 games in our relegation season, then picked up 16 in the Championship. Has scored 4 thus far with limited consistent game time. Looks lightweight granted, but cost us nothing. Routledge came and solidified us in the second half of the Championship season, kept us fresh and added some much needed pace. He's been moved on now and if QPR are promoted (which looks likely) he'll be off to them for what we paid for him.

Besides the point though, Perch is out of his depth.

I'm sure I was watching a game in the last couple of weeks where the commentator stated Keegan had tipped Tiote to Houghton and was watching him at Roda while he progressed. Just a thought...

Agreeing with this. Most teams in the Premier League would have taken Ben Arfa; Tiote's a genuinely good spot but we'll see if he can consistently bring in those kinds of players season after season. Did anything come of that French winger we were supposed to be signing?

Lovenkrands scored 3 in 12 games in our relegation season, then picked up 16 in the Championship. Has scored 4 thus far with limited consistent game time. Looks lightweight granted, but cost us nothing. Routledge came and solidified us in the second half of the Championship season, kept us fresh and added some much needed pace. He's been moved on now and if QPR are promoted (which looks likely) he'll be off to them for what we paid for him.

partly agree, the point is that Routledge and Lovenkrands are - as you say - championship quality players. Now we are looking higher - or supposed to be - they have to set their sights and standards higher !!!!!

I'm sure I was watching a game in the last couple of weeks where the commentator stated Keegan had tipped Tiote to Houghton and was watching him at Roda while he progressed. Just a thought...

not heard that, wouldn't be surprised though. No doubt Keegan has an eye for a player, you wouldn't have thought it when he was a player himself [he actually recommended John Ryan to Arthur Cox and he was hopeless] , but when he became a manager he made some great spots.

Edited by LeazesMag

partly agree, the point is that Routledge and Lovenkrands are - as you say - championship quality players. Now we are looking higher - or supposed to be - they have to set their sights and standards higher !!!!!

In fairness it's not dissimilar to the approach KK had first time round, i.e. horses for courses. I don't expect class players to come flying in btw, just pointing out there's nothing wrong with getting in players like Routledge to do a job to get you out of a division.

In fairness it's not dissimilar to the approach KK had first time round, i.e. horses for courses. I don't expect class players to come flying in btw, just pointing out there's nothing wrong with getting in players like Routledge to do a job to get you out of a division.

fair enough, I agree with that. Would have been better if, at that stage, they had looked to get top league quality players in preparation though, like Keegan did. Personally, the day we signed Routledge I knew he wasn't good enough for the premiership.

Edited by LeazesMag

yep, when Keegan was manager he sent Hughton (who was coach at the time) to watch Tiote.

fair enough, I agree with that. Would have been better if, at that stage, they had looked to get top league quality players in preparation though, like Keegan did. Personally, the day we signed Routledge I knew he wasn't good enough for the premiership.

Championship clubs can't afford premiership wages anymore, like they maybe could in the early 90s.

from new thread, this is better in this one. Can admin/mods pse lock thread I started.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/...wages-soar.html

omg. Their long term "plan" and appointment of "quality" manager didn't do very well did it Didn't even make the top 4 once.

Hate to say this, but very much as I predicted.......O'Neill overrated, [and quit in the end], and never got anywhere near matching our ex "planless" owners.

Never mind, Villa fans can take some consolation from the fact he never paid a member of his family a fairly insignifcant amount of money for the use of a warehouse.

Alan Pardew tells talkSPORT > "We will be bringing in 4 to 5 players this Summer... the recruiting process has already begun.

:D