Brian Cox vs Richard Dawkins

ChezGiven

Brian%20Cox_phixr.jpg

The real Brian Cox.

So glad you didn't post the real Brian's Cock.

PBC fwiw,

I don't feel I need to know more about the reliability of the theory of evolution and the fallibility of faith, but my ignorance of space and physics is vast

Edited by The Fish

Cox is the man like, that new series is amazing.

"Everything in the universe travels in a straight line, planetary orbits are following curves in space-time"

Wonders of the Universe is quality, but Cox does my napper in.

Watching him swagger about in some random desert each week reminds me of the Fools Gold video.

Edited by Jonny2J

I like a bit of both, but overall I would say I prefer Cox. :(

I love Dawkin's books and think his writing style, and analogies, is excellent. I was never that bothered by evolution before but Dawkins helped open my mind to how significant it was in terms of what we are and where we came from, and also how beautiful nature is without the need to invoke supernatural explanations (tbf Attenborough was a big influence here too). I also like the way he has had the balls to question why religion should be a special case regarding freedom of speech, and I fully agree with his views that the UK should become more secular with regard to this.

Cox though is just cool. A rcokstar, a professor of astrophysics, a mountaineer (judging by the latest series), and good looking, all at once. As Fish says, evolution doesn't really hold any more mysteries for me, but cosmology does. Love the new series, fascinating stuff.

And yes, I know how gay I sound. :jesuswept:

Had to laugh at his saggy face when he got up to 3 G's :jesuswept:

Cox wins because of his enthusiasm. Everything is brilliant for him. I get no wide eyed wonder from Dawkins, just contempt for people that don't see things as self-evident as he does. Far more likely to inspire kids with "look at this, it's brilliant" than "this is why what your parents say makes them fucking idiots". He just looks like a bitter old man, angry at everyone for failing to keep up with his genius opinion of himself.

I don't know how this thread became Cox v Dawkins.

the choice was thus....look into a Black Hole - even if this were possible you'd see fuck all as no light can escape. Wait till 2 am and go in the basement with the lights out and pretend ffs.

or

prove (or disprove) evolution.

One is a hypothetical, potentially suicidal jolly and the other is massively important to human being's collective understanding of themselves. Just cos you believe it doesn't mean the billions do. This is your chance to PROVE it once and for all.

"Oh aye that Coxies alright like, I'll go with him. Whatever."

:jesuswept:

Had to laugh at his saggy face when he got up to 3 G's :jesuswept:

Cox wins because of his enthusiasm. Everything is brilliant for him. I get no wide eyed wonder from Dawkins, just contempt for people that don't see things as self-evident as he does. Far more likely to inspire kids with "look at this, it's brilliant" than "this is why what your parents say makes them fucking idiots". He just looks like a bitter old man, angry at everyone for failing to keep up with his genius opinion of himself.

He comes across as incredibly enthusiastic about the beauty of nature in his books though (God Delusion aside). Have you read any?

Had to laugh at his saggy face when he got up to 3 G's :(

He comes across as incredibly enthusiastic about the beauty of nature in his books though (God Delusion aside). Have you read any?

Nah, not seen his show about cutting up corpses either. Just based it on interviews really.

I much prefer physics to biology though. I like space travel and ipods. Biologists just keep extending life expectancy...and overpopulation is going to kill us all...the evil bastards :jesuswept:

A rockstar, a professor of astrophysics

Wouldn't exactly call being the keyboard player in D-Ream being a rockstar...

There is of course a Brian who does fit the description outlined above.

brianmay.jpg

A rockstar, a professor of astrophysics

Wouldn't exactly call being the keyboard player in D-Ream being a rockstar...

There is of course a Brian who does fit the description outlined above.

brianmay.jpg

He's a mere doctor, not a professor. :jesuswept:

Still a bit of a legend though. He's playing at the Sage later this year and I was considering seeing him until I saw the price - something like £45 a ticket. Mind I'm paying £42 to see Newcastle almost certainly get beat by Liverpool next month......

Had to laugh at his saggy face when he got up to 3 G's :(

Nah, not seen his show about cutting up corpses either. Just based it on interviews really.

I much prefer physics to biology though. I like space travel and ipods. Biologists just keep extending life expectancy...and overpopulation is going to kill us all...the evil bastards :jesuswept:

Did he not get to 4 G?

There really is no competition in this, its Lenny Henry's ringpiece all the way. I guess its a portal to different dimensions. Someone should ask Dawn French tbh.

http://arxiv.org/abs/1003.5914

http://prl.aps.org/abstract/PRL/v106/i10/e101101

Would you rather peer inside a black hole or prove/disprove evolution?

Peer inside a black hole as its a complete unknown. Evolution is pretty much proven (imo).

Evolution is of social importance, black holes are more spiritual.

I like a bit of both, but overall I would say I prefer Cox. :(

I love Dawkin's books and think his writing style, and analogies, is excellent. I was never that bothered by evolution before but Dawkins helped open my mind to how significant it was in terms of what we are and where we came from, and also how beautiful nature is without the need to invoke supernatural explanations (tbf Attenborough was a big influence here too). I also like the way he has had the balls to question why religion should be a special case regarding freedom of speech, and I fully agree with his views that the UK should become more secular with regard to this.

Cox though is just cool. A rcokstar, a professor of astrophysics, a mountaineer (judging by the latest series), and good looking, all at once. As Fish says, evolution doesn't really hold any more mysteries for me, but cosmology does. Love the new series, fascinating stuff.

And yes, I know how gay I sound. :jesuswept:

Agree <_< I am completely in love with Dr Brian :lol: He is pretty much perfect in every way!