south facing gardens

Dr Gloom

i'm looking to buy a house with a south east facing garden. how much sun will that get? anyone got one? my current garden is east facing. i get sun all morning but it usually goes about 5pm and it's quite a long garden - about 80 feet, which tbf is a good size for london. this new place is only 50 feet garden but i wonder if it will get sun for longer because of it being south east facing; i quite like the idea of a bit of sun in the early evening for a beer or bbq. estate agents seem to wank themselves silly over south facing gardens.

South is best for growing stuff (gets more sun) but West is probably better for using the garden as late as possible. Course it also depends on surrounding buildings but as a rule of thumb.

Mine's south facing like.

It's class for staying out late in the summer and getting chonged in the garden.

so what time do you get sun till? presumably because the house i'm looking at is south east rather than south, it will have a bit less sun in the evening

i was wondering if west facing gardens get sun longer but then i suppose they're gloomy during the day.

Mecca-facing is the best, although South is ok.

:lol:

Mine's small and north facing so is officially shit, hardly ever get any sun which is probably why I have moss rather than grass. What percentage does that detract from the house price I wonder, maybe 10%? There was something on telly the other day where an estate agent claimed 'West is the new South', so there you go.

That 10% will be more than made up for by bespoke stained glass windows btw.

Aye. And the window in question is west facing which really shows off the light refracting 'gems' to their best advantage during the long summer nights. Probaly worth 30% on the house value tbh.

Mecca-facing is the best, although South is ok.

Mine's small and north facing so is officially shit, hardly ever get any sun which is probably why I have moss rather than grass. What percentage does that detract from the house price I wonder, maybe 10%? There was something on telly the other day where an estate agent claimed 'West is the new South', so there you go.

Aye West gets the sun till the end of the day in summer. All you miss out on is the morning. Mine is North East which is shite and also full of moss and my borders are pretty much bollocks. Cut the grass yesterday and started weeding and pulling dead plants. Would have been easier just to turn the whole lot over tbf.

Mine is East facing, but backs onto another persons west facing garden so we don't get a great sunrise either. Could do with trimming some of the bushes but the landlord is bizarre about it; doesn't want us to do any work on the garden at all.

I think mine faces south west... gotta say its pretty awesome in the summer having a barbie and sitting in the garden drinking beer until the sun goes down.

Used to have a north facing yard in my old place, that sucked! Used to get a tiny strip of sunshine between 11am & 12pm and that was it.

Mine is East facing, but backs onto another persons west facing garden so we don't get a great sunrise either. Could do with trimming some of the bushes but the landlord is bizarre about it; doesn't want us to do any work on the garden at all.

You could replicate a sunrise for your housemates by jumping over the fence into the neighbour's garden, ducking down and standing up reeeeeeeally slowly. Might be nice on one of their birthdays or something.

You could replicate a sunrise for your housemates by jumping over the fence into the neighbour's garden, ducking down and standing up reeeeeeeally slowly. Might be nice on one of their birthdays or something.

hush your mouth Ken Caminiti

hush your mouth Ken Caminiti

I'm all natural, baby.

Google Earth's a great indicator as to sun and how shadows fall. Pics nearly always taken in summer and on a sunny day. Easy enough to determine the aspect and roughly guage time of day. (Might even give said info inherently on pic)

Wish it was around before I ended up with a NE facing back garden :lol:

:lol::icon_lol::lol:

Aye. And the window in question is west facing which really shows off the light refracting 'gems' to their best advantage during the long summer nights. Probaly worth 30% on the house value tbh.

:lol::icon_lol::lol:

The next time Leazes calls Fish "Sunshine", this thread will spring to mind

Edited by Monkeys Fist

:lol: :lol :icon_lol:

Orchids grow well in a north facing garden tbh.

So I might be cold as fuck sitting in the shade drinking a beer, huddling around the BBQ, but at least the flowers look nice! :lol:

never really noticed the ‘south facing’ fuss, it was only when we got a south facing yard that I realised that I’d only ever lived in east and north facing previously. I would never consider having anything other than south or west facing now though.