Toon Army in North America

ToonArmyMIA

Apparently we are playing Kansas City in July !!!!

Toontastic USA meet up ?

http://www.sportingkc.com/news/2011/03/spo...astle-united-fc

Looking into the possibility. Perhaps we'll get to see Chad Ochocinco suit up. :icon_lol:

Good God have you seen the clips of him in training ? he couldn't trap a bag of cement ! :lol:

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im in Montreal at the moment, but will be back in NY starting April 28th for the whole summer. Will probably try and get to Legends to catch a game or two -- do they allow U21s in? I'm not quite legal drinking age yet :icon_lol:

Thought the plan was just to walk in and play it cool.... :lol:

Nothing like a cold one at 10am.

Have you ever done a Rocky up them stairs, jumping about at the top. Apart from Las Vegas it is the ONLY reason I'd ever want to visit America?

My friends in Phili right now and he uploaded a picture doing that, only problem is the picture is slightly ruined because that building at the top has some stupid fashion poster in between the pillars.

Toontastic USA meet up ?

Looking into the possibility. Perhaps we'll get to see Chad Ochocinco suit up. :icon_lol:

Good God have you seen the clips of him in training ? he couldn't trap a bag of cement ! :lol:

He truly looks dreadful, but it's hardly about his ability; it's a publicity stunt.

Toontastic USA meet up ?

He truly looks dreadful, but it's hardly about his ability; it's a publicity stunt.

Absolutely ! and its working like a charm.

Im in Montreal at the moment, but will be back in NY starting April 28th for the whole summer. Will probably try and get to Legends to catch a game or two -- do they allow U21s in? I'm not quite legal drinking age yet :icon_lol:

Thought the plan was just to walk in and play it cool.... :lol:

Nothing like a cold one at 10am.

Have you ever done a Rocky up them stairs, jumping about at the top. Apart from Las Vegas it is the ONLY reason I'd ever want to visit America?

First thing I did when I went to Philly (apart from Cheese Steak sandwich), was the Rocky stair run and jump. the b**tards had taken away the statue though

Nevada Smiths is a class place, that's where I go to watch. Plenty of plastics though, best to go only when games like NUFC v. Wigan and Wolves v. West Ham are on as you're more likely to encounter people (Americans or expats) whose crack is halfway decent. Stay away when Man U, Tottenham, Chelsea or Liverpool are on.

you should try heading to Legends. The Toon Army NYC crowd goes there now after some nonsense with the owners in Nevadas treating their staff like shite and firing good bartenders

www.toonarmynyc.com

Legends less plastic fans right now

I saw us get demolished by Liverpool at Nevada Smiths in New York in 2007. I think the NYC Mags have moved to a different pub now though.

Ps. You're a bastard for living in Miami

Was probably in nevadas that day. Was the drum in action that day?

Miami - someone has to do it

Im in Montreal at the moment, but will be back in NY starting April 28th for the whole summer. Will probably try and get to Legends to catch a game or two -- do they allow U21s in? I'm not quite legal drinking age yet :lol:

there's generally noone on the doors at the time of the games. only thing you might not be able to get served (but you'll get in alright)

Im in Montreal at the moment, but will be back in NY starting April 28th for the whole summer. Will probably try and get to Legends to catch a game or two -- do they allow U21s in? I'm not quite legal drinking age yet :lol:

there's generally noone on the doors at the time of the games. only thing you might not be able to get served (but you'll get in alright)

Yeah I don't mind not being able to drink, I can do enough of that legally in Montreal haha. Just wanna watch a game with some fellow Newcastle fans for once!

Leaving for America on Thursday for a couple of weeks. Ganna be in Atlanta for wolves, Vegas for villa, LA for the mancs and New York for Blackpool.

Quite looking forward to watching the matches over there. If it's anything like it was for some of the ones we watched in Singapore or Australia it'll be canny!

I'm posted a similar thread over at newcastle-online to connect NUFC fans in the USA for 2 reasons:

1. For NUFC fans in USA/Canada to connect and meetup for games

2. For anyone coming to visit from the UK and want to catch with NUFC fans in USA/Canada

In New York we started the Toon Army NYC years ago and have a good crowd and regular visitors. Website is www.toonarmynyc.com and we watch the games in Legends bar (not Nevada Smiths anymore)

In Miami (where I am now), we've started a group and meet in Fados in Brickell (downtown). On twitter I'm @toonarmymia if anyone wants to get in touch

If you're in the USA post your location etc in this thread or if you're planning to visit, we can probably hook you up with a group of Mags in most cities in the USA

Also, these lads are putting together full up-to-date list of places to watch in USA:

http://www.newcastleunited.us/2011/02/toon...ans-gather.html

I am in Boca Raton. About 45 minutes north of you on I-95. I meet up with some Geordie ex-pats and watch the matches at a local but haven't gone as far south as you. If for any reason you find your way up this way, we usually meet at The Lion and Eagle for matches.

Toontastic USA meet up ?

Absolutely ! and its working like a charm.

I do love how the headlines are all about how he "Earned a reserve spot on the team" when the press release fairly clearly states "He didn't make the team, but he's an honorary member of the reserve squad."

Not quite the same thing. :icon_lol:

Right now it appears that there will be a group of four or five of us going from my area. Hoping that there will be more matches scheduled than just the one.

MIA, I got your email and will respond. Sorry that it has taken so long.

On Tuesday the 26th, against Columbus Crew. Just read it on my twitter.

Weird! we played them on 26th July 2000!

Columbus Crew 2-2 Newcastle United · Columbus, Ohio

Santiosport: Santio is pleased to announce 2nd match of Newcastle United tour vs. Columbus Crew @ Crew Stadium July 26 2011

Edited by Nobby

http://www.thecrew.com/news/2011/04/crew-f...-united-july-26

Crew to face Newcastle United on July 26

Storied English club returns to Columbus for second time,

Crew Communications TheCrew.com April 4, 2011

newcastl_article.jpg

The Columbus Crew announced today that it will play host to an international exhibition against Newcastle United FC of the English Premier League on Tuesday, July 26, at Crew Stadium. The game will kick off at 7:30 p.m. and be classified as ‘Special Game A’ for Crew Soccer Nation Gold members.

Individual advance ticket prices start at $24 and will go on sale Wednesday, April 20, at 10 a.m., at the Crew Stadium Box Office, all central Ohio Ticketmaster retail locations, via Ticketmaster phone at 1-800-745-3000 and on-line at TheCrew.com, following the completion of an exclusive presale offer to Crew Soccer Nation members.

Brokered by Santio Sports and Entertainment, the match will mark the second time that Newcastle has played at Crew Stadium. The teams played to a 2-2 draw on July 26, 2000, a game in which Jeff Cunningham scored the equalizer for the Crew in the 84th minute. The Crew is 9-3-2 all-time in international exhibitions, including 2-2-2 against teams from the English Premier League. The Black & Gold downed Leeds, 2-1, in 1997; defeated Fulham, 2-1, in 2005; tied Everton, 1-1, in 2006; lost to Aston Villa, 3-1, in 2007; and fell to West Ham, 3-1, in 2008.

“We are pleased once again to bring top-flight international soccer right here to Columbus and to provide the best competitive challenge for our team,” said Crew President & General Manager Mark McCullers. “The English Premier League is arguably the best league in the world and Newcastle United is one of its most storied clubs.”

Newcastle United, commonly referred to as The Magpies and The Toon, has a long history at the top level of professional soccer in England, dating back to their origins as a club in 1892. Newcastle’s legacy includes such iconic players as Peter Beardsley, Alan Shearer and Andy Cole in recent generations. The four-time first division champions have also won six FA Cups and the European Fairs Cup in 1969. The club is well-known in the modern era of European competition, having also advanced to the semifinals of the 2003-04 UEFA Cup and advancing out of the group stage in the 2002-03 UEFA Champions League.

The club is led by manager Alan Pardew and captain Kevin Nolan, the 2010 Championship Player of the Year and the team's leading goal scorer this season. The first-team squad features several internationally-recognized stars, including midfielder Cheik Tiote, Argentine internationals Fabricio Collocini and Jonas Gutierrez, and longtime goalkeeper Steve Harper.

Newcastle's 2011 campaign has seen the club compete with some of the top teams in the English Premier League, beating Liverpool 3-1 and Arsenal 1-0 at Emirates Stadium, as well as earning points in draws against Chelsea and Arsenal, the latter of which came in a historic four-goal comeback in February. Newcastle currently sits in 9th place in the EPL table with a 10-12-9 record and 39 points.

Edited by Nobby

That's fairly serendipitous!

Wonder who NUFC will play that weekend between KC and columbus? The Fire is playing ManU that Saturday evening... FC Dallas maybe? Only club I can think of that's between them besides Chicago.

On Tuesday the 26th, against Columbus Crew. Just read it on my twitter.

Weird! we played them on 26th July 2000!

Columbus Crew 2-2 Newcastle United · Columbus, Ohio

Santiosport: Santio is pleased to announce 2nd match of Newcastle United tour vs. Columbus Crew @ Crew Stadium July 26 2011

Kansas City and Columbus? Ugh. At least the trend is eastward. With any luck they'll make it to New York - or at least Philly or DC, somewhere I won't have to get on a goddamn airplane to visit, by the end of the summer.