Newcastle Finances in the Championship

Christmas Tree

Most of the players that have left us will have been on payment plans. As the books are April-to-April, we'll have the second year payments to include.

Not in P&L we dont, it will all go through at the point of the sale.

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the Carroll money, he can't come out and say every penny of the £35M will be spent on transfer fees. If it is or isnt he has to play his cards close to his chest whether we like it or not.

IMO he has a transfer pot. That pot includes all fees and salaries. the whole thing has to balance. I do think the £35M is going into that pot but I dont think it will all be on transfer fees.

How much do you think we will spend in the summer then? (On transfer fees)

I think about 25 mil.

To be fair the club has been in decline for 7 years, speeded up by Ashley of course, and while it's not moving forward at a great rate of knots, we reached our rock bottom last year, so we haven't declined from that point, we have a better team now than then, and are financially much better than then cos Ashley took us to oblivion so being in the Premiership we're better off. I wouldn't say we're in decline now, just sort of stagnant as a non-entity Premiership side.

I don't agree. A few years of league positions considered to be not good enough, resulting in the managerial changes for that very reason ie the aim was to do better and the backup being in place, does not equal decline. It can be put back on course again.

However, a change in policies, ambitions, resulting in big revenue losses, unhappy players, an acceptance of not qualifying for top league placings or europe by supporters, and a stated aim by the club that they will be happy to finish 10th, is most definitely a club in decline. The club will be relegated Stevie, its just a matter of time, just like the days of McKeag etc. Whenever we were promoted, the only question was how long would we stay there ?

Getting rid of a world wide proven legend (albeit I thought getting someone younger in could be a good thing at the time but the right bloke), and replacing him with a failed, paranoid, bigoted, vengeful, unsociable cunt like Souness is almost unforgivable. I like Shepherd, I thought he was a class chairman up to August 2004. He spent next to nowt apart from the summer of 2001, between 2000 and 2004. What annoyed me with Shepherd is how much he vilified Robson for wasting £8.5m on Viana and the likes of Gavilan, when he found little gems for us too. That one decision employing Graeme Souness letting him have £50m to spend, put the club in decline, it doesn't matter what way you look at it, it's an undeniable fact. The be all and end all of a club going forward or declining in my eyes, is the squad and what goes on on the pitch. Souness turned our assets in to absolute shite. Bellamy would've been worth £10m+ if he was happy without any problems etc.. Souness treatment of him and the stigma that followed him halfed his value, and there were loads of examples like that. A happy Robert would've had 3 more years here, things could've been different for Bernard. Shepherd employed Souness, Souness fucked the club up, so responsibility for that has to lie at Shepherd's feet. It was his only major mistake as chairman, and ultimately cost him everything. Prime minister's ruin nations, and managers ruin football clubs. Because of Shepherd's mistake in the space of 2 years we went from looking at Kluivert (international pedigree) in 2004 to looking at Sibierski in 2006, that is a decline off the pitch and it stems from the decision to employ Souness because all of the cash we had without borrowing was gone because of Souness' idiotic signings and dealings with what we had originally. There isn't one logical view to contradict that imo. You know I'm not anti-FFS never will be, but without any doubt the club were in decline from Robson leaving, to the point we had to get the likes of Martin's on the provvy, instead of generating our own transfer income which is what FFS had skillfully done for 7 years from 97 to 2004.

Edited by McFaul

We wouldn't like. Our turnover outwith transfer income will be circa £95m/£105m this year. Our Tv income will go up from £16m to a conservative £55m, that's forgeting increased commercial activities the Premiership brings. The wage bill is only about 55-60% of that, guaranteed profit this season, because the loans are interest free or so he says, if they weren't (like Man Utd's) would probably be a different matter.

Our TV money in the PL last time was £38m...so we're £17m better off now according to your £55m figure

But like I said above, other turnover was £12m down....and I can't see it rising due to PL status so it's only really £5m better off.

Last time we were in the PL we turned a loss of £32.5m though.

So assuming the same wages...we'd be running a loss of £27m.

These accounts say the wages were £47m, down from £71m.... a £24m saving.

That leaves us a £3m loss....before you add Ben Arfa and Tiote's wages (assuming they're more than Carroll's)

These are all fag packet numbers, but I think the assumption of a hefty profit this time next year is rash.

You are missing player sales. Most of the players that have left us will have been on payment plans. As the books are April-to-April, we'll have the second year payments to include.

HBA wages will be picked up via the insurance.

We weren't including player sales...that was agreed.

To tell the truth I hadn't realised that TV money has increased by almost a third for PL clubs this season and it is going to make a hell of a difference. Turnover should exceed £90m like Stevie says, so with a wage bill at around 55% I can't think of any reason we shouldn't have a few million spare to spend on players...or to pay off some of the debt.

Still can't see £50m like.

We wouldn't like. Our turnover outwith transfer income will be circa £95m/£105m this year. Our Tv income will go up from £16m to a conservative £55m, that's forgeting increased commercial activities the Premiership brings. The wage bill is only about 55-60% of that, guaranteed profit this season, because the loans are interest free or so he says, if they weren't (like Man Utd's) would probably be a different matter.

Our TV money in the PL last time was £38m...so we're £17m better off now according to your £55m figure

But like I said above, other turnover was £12m down....and I can't see it rising due to PL status so it's only really £5m better off.

That leaves us a £3m loss....before you add Ben Arfa and Tiote's wages (assuming they're more than Carroll's)

These are all fag packet numbers, but I think the assumption of a hefty profit this time next year is rash.

You are missing player sales. Most of the players that have left us will have been on payment plans. As the books are April-to-April, we'll have the second year payments to include.

To tell the truth I hadn't realised that TV money has increased by almost a third for PL clubs this season and it is going to make a hell of a difference. Turnover should exceed £90m like Stevie says, so with a wage bill at around 55% I can't think of any reason we shouldn't have a few million spare to spend on players...or to pay off some of the debt.

Few million spare...not including player sales as well?

In that case, do you think, we stay up, we make a profit this season, pay off some of the debt to FMA AND spend between 20-30mil?

Looks healthy to me.

To be fair the club has been in decline for 7 years, speeded up by Ashley of course, and while it's not moving forward at a great rate of knots, we reached our rock bottom last year, so we haven't declined from that point, we have a better team now than then, and are financially much better than then cos Ashley took us to oblivion so being in the Premiership we're better off. I wouldn't say we're in decline now, just sort of stagnant as a non-entity Premiership side.

I don't agree. A few years of league positions considered to be not good enough, resulting in the managerial changes for that very reason ie the aim was to do better and the backup being in place, does not equal decline. It can be put back on course again.

However, a change in policies, ambitions, resulting in big revenue losses, unhappy players, an acceptance of not qualifying for top league placings or europe by supporters, and a stated aim by the club that they will be happy to finish 10th, is most definitely a club in decline. The club will be relegated Stevie, its just a matter of time, just like the days of McKeag etc. Whenever we were promoted, the only question was how long would we stay there ?

Getting rid of a world wide proven legend (albeit I thought getting someone younger in could be a good thing at the time but the right bloke), and replacing him with a failed, paranoid, bigoted, vengeful, unsociable cunt like Souness is almost unforgivable. I like Shepherd, I thought he was a class chairman up to August 2004. He spent next to nowt apart from the summer of 2001, between 2000 and 2004. What annoyed me with Shepherd is how much he vilified Robson for wasting £8.5m on Viana and the likes of Gavilan, when he found little gems for us too. That one decision employing Graeme Souness letting him have £50m to spend, put the club in decline, it doesn't matter what way you look at it, it's an undeniable fact. The be all and end all of a club going forward or declining in my eyes, is the squad and what goes on on the pitch. Souness turned our assets in to absolute shite. Bellamy would've been worth £10m+ if he was happy without any problems etc.. Souness treatment of him and the stigma that followed him halfed his value, and there were loads of examples like that. A happy Robert would've had 3 more years here, things could've been different for Bernard. Shepherd employed Souness, Souness fucked the club up, so responsibility for that has to lie at Shepherd's feet. It was his only major mistake as chairman, and ultimately cost him everything. Prime minister's ruin nations, and managers ruin football clubs. Because of Shepherd's mistake in the space of 2 years we went from looking at Kluivert (international pedigree) in 2004 to looking at Sibierski in 2006, that is a decline off the pitch and it stems from the decision to employ Souness because all of the cash we had without borrowing was gone because of Souness' idiotic signings and dealings with what we had originally. There isn't one logical view to contradict that imo. You know I'm not anti-FFS never will be, but without any doubt the club were in decline from Robson leaving, to the point we had to get the likes of Martin's on the provvy, instead of generating our own transfer income which is what FFS had skillfully done for 7 years from 97 to 2004.

Absolutely spot on, to say we werent in decline in the later years of Shepherd's reign is sheer ignorance. No doubt Ashley needs to bare the brunt of the blame, but to totally lay the blame at his door is wrong, yes Ashley fucked the club up royally, but we were in no means the club we were under Bobby Robson and to use the Uefa cup qualification in the last year or so of shepherds reign and use at as a shining beacon of light that all was well with us is wrong too.

Few million spare...not including player sales as well?

In that case, do you think, we stay up, we make a profit this season, pay off some of the debt to FMA AND spend between 20-30mil?

Looks healthy to me.

I don't think Ashley will take the money out of the club...but I don't think we have £35million burning a hole in our pocket from Carroll either.

Like JawD says, the pie has been cut up into many wedges and allocated to future costs so that Ashley doesn't have to pump anything in when things get tight again. For example a good chunk will be used to cover the outlay on Ben Arfa and Tiote and their wages for the next 5 years.

If we do spend £10m on a player in the summer then Ashley also wants £10m set aside to cover their wages for 5 years. He counts that as a £20m outlay and i can't see us going much further beyond that.

Edited by Happy Face

On the Carroll money, he can't come out and say every penny of the £35M will be spent on transfer fees. If it is or isnt he has to play his cards close to his chest whether we like it or not.

IMO he has a transfer pot. That pot includes all fees and salaries. the whole thing has to balance. I do think the £35M is going into that pot but I dont think it will all be on transfer fees.

Absolutely spot on, particularly the second bit.

Absolutely spot on, to say we werent in decline in the later years of Shepherd's reign is sheer ignorance. No doubt Ashley needs to bare the brunt of the blame, but to totally lay the blame at his door is wrong, yes Ashley fucked the club up royally, but we were in no means the club we were under Bobby Robson and to use the Uefa cup qualification in the last year or so of shepherds reign and use at as a shining beacon of light that all was well with us is wrong too.

I hate Ashley, I don't hate FFS. Souness was our anti-christ though, and the reason we got back in to Europe was nowt to do with anything remarkable Shepherd had done, we got back in to Europe, because Souness left in the Feb, and we had the core of a basic side who were there before, who could win at home with players like Bowyer, Shearer, Shola and Nobby. Even Roeder made a success of it. By the way getting rid of Milner on loan to Villa just about summed up the whole Souness thing, I realise it was part of the Nobby deal, but still pathetic.

I think Stevie is the only guy on here capable of shooting down LM with some aplumb.

The guys knowledge, opinions and love for the club are spot on. I dont doubt LM's love of the club nor his knowledge to some extent but his opinions are sheer shit.

I think Stevie is the only guy on here capable of shooting down LM with some aplumb.

The guys knowledge, opinions and love for the club are spot on. I dont doubt LM's love of the club nor his knowledge to some extent but his opinions are sheer shit.

The problem with Leazes is his obsession with the old regime and in particular trying to re-fight Newcastle Online battles on here.

As usual he wants to make every thread about him and his obsession. Its also sad that so many people keep fanning the flames.

all sense of reason goes out the window with pricks like you and Toonpack, when there is something you can think of to attempt to discredit a board of owners who achieved for this club, what Mike Ashley will only ever match in his dreams.

The aim is 10th is it Dekka ? And arseholes like you are actually accepting such lowering of expectations.....that was the aim of the people who ran the club for decades, and eventually left it with one foot in the 3rd division, sub 20000 crowds, losing our best players, a failed share issue that couldn't raise 1.25m quid, a cow shed of a stadium [at least the revamped stadium can't be taken away even if it will be only half full by the time they are finished], no sponsors to name, no shirt sales etc. The club is in decline.

Fucking idiot.

You really couldn't make it up.

That bit in bold. Quote me, or find me any sort of quote which suggests my 'acceptance' of such expectations. Otherwise you're just making stuff up AGAIN.

YOU really COULD make it up ;)

wtf are you wittering about man :mellow: You ARE accepting it. If not, accept that your man might not reach the league positions, champions league and european qualifications, and bring the players to the club that his predecessors did ?

He won't do it :unsure: The club is in decline. Expectations are down, revenues are down, ambitions are down. Your man Dekka has just said so......10th is the aim :lol:

WHERE HAVE I EVER CLAIMED OTHERWISE? Answer this or you're making even more stuff up, arguing with yourself. You can't answer this with a direct link to a quote where I have claimed otherwise, because I never have. That is why people think you're a senile fuck. Do you comprehend this?

However, we weren't reaching the league positions or champions league qualifications when your man left, meaning by your own logic that the club was ALREADY IN DECLINE

Do you get it?

no, it wasn't, and I've explained why it wasn't. The club is in decline because the revenues have dived, and the structures and ambitions have changed accordingly/as a result of.

Basic stuff this.

Your man will be ecstatic to finish 10th, this is his aim, the revenues have dived, our best players realise they are playing for a micky mouse club and so don't want to stay anymore, and you and your dad say the club isn't in decline ??

The problem with Leazes is his obsession with the old regime and in particular trying to re-fight Newcastle Online battles on here.

As usual he wants to make every thread about him and his obsession. Its also sad that so many people keep fanning the flames.

the only thing I'm "obsessed" with, is getting back into europe, the champions league, and having to explain to others how to suck eggs all the time.

the only thing I'm "obsessed" with, is getting back into europe, the champions league, and having to explain to others how to suck eggs all the time.

You can suck my cock if you fancy a change, bellpiece.

I hate Ashley, I don't hate FFS. Souness was our anti-christ though, and the reason we got back in to Europe was nowt to do with anything remarkable Shepherd had done, we got back in to Europe, because Souness left in the Feb, and we had the core of a basic side who were there before, who could win at home with players like Bowyer, Shearer, Shola and Nobby. Even Roeder made a success of it. By the way getting rid of Milner on loan to Villa just about summed up the whole Souness thing, I realise it was part of the Nobby deal, but still pathetic.

Top quality post that!

You can suck my cock if you fancy a change, bellpiece.

go back to the other tosspots on that waste of space called skunkers.

HappyFace...

Do you think we are just gonna bring in one player?

If we brought in say...

Gunter 3mil + 15k a week 5 year contract = 7mil

Taarabt 4mil + 30k a week 5 year contract = 12mil

Lens 8mil + 30k a week 5 year contract = 16mil

Derdiyok 8mil + 40k a week 5 year contract = 18.5mil

Thats a 23mil spend on transfer fee's and then 49.5mil on wages over 5 years. Just doesnt compute. There is no way on this earth that wages will be incorperated into the transfer pot as the wages will go into the running costs which will be covered every year with TV money and sponsorships as well as other incoming monies.

Those 4 players would increase the wage bill by 10 mil a year.

Stevie is one of the posters who actually has an idea what he is talking about I'll give you that, which is why I don't disagree with him so much.

But I stick by what I've been saying for almost 4 years now. Mike Ashley will NEVER, EVER match the champions league and european qualifications of his predecessors, he is running the football club like Netto, the limit of his ambition is premiership survival [confirmed yesterday by Llambias for those who incredibly STILL disagree], and he will sell our best players to make up for revenue losses brought about by his own so called "prudency and financial wizardry" and turning this club from a top club into also rans constantly flirting with relegation, while making a couple of million profit if he can which will either not be invested back into the club or disappear down a black hole, not that a few million quid amounts to anything more than peanuts in premiership terms or the stature that a club like NUFC has enjoyed under the previous regime and should always enjoy.

People can "disagree" as much as they like, some have been doing it for a long time now, but the longer it goes on, the more the club is sinking and declining. It will NEVER recover to what it was with 3rd rate ambitions like it has now.

Personalities have absolutely nothing to do with it, which I pity those who allow their hatred for the ex-owners to come between them and their judgement and the absolute facts of what they achieved.

I'll leave this, I really hope someone like Toonpack or skidders doesn't come back and spout more absolute garbage.

Do you honestly think we're going to bring in those players like? There'll be another Perch-esque "handyman", a couple from abroad who won't be Tiote-esque but that'll be the reason behind signing them and a striker from the lower leagues.

of course, then it will be "give him until january" from the usual idiots.

all sense of reason goes out the window with pricks like you and Toonpack, when there is something you can think of to attempt to discredit a board of owners who achieved for this club, what Mike Ashley will only ever match in his dreams.

The aim is 10th is it Dekka ? And arseholes like you are actually accepting such lowering of expectations.....that was the aim of the people who ran the club for decades, and eventually left it with one foot in the 3rd division, sub 20000 crowds, losing our best players, a failed share issue that couldn't raise 1.25m quid, a cow shed of a stadium [at least the revamped stadium can't be taken away even if it will be only half full by the time they are finished], no sponsors to name, no shirt sales etc. The club is in decline.

Fucking idiot.

You really couldn't make it up.

That bit in bold. Quote me, or find me any sort of quote which suggests my 'acceptance' of such expectations. Otherwise you're just making stuff up AGAIN.

YOU really COULD make it up ;)

wtf are you wittering about man :mellow: You ARE accepting it. If not, accept that your man might not reach the league positions, champions league and european qualifications, and bring the players to the club that his predecessors did ?

He won't do it :unsure: The club is in decline. Expectations are down, revenues are down, ambitions are down. Your man Dekka has just said so......10th is the aim :lol:

WHERE HAVE I EVER CLAIMED OTHERWISE? Answer this or you're making even more stuff up, arguing with yourself. You can't answer this with a direct link to a quote where I have claimed otherwise, because I never have. That is why people think you're a senile fuck. Do you comprehend this?

However, we weren't reaching the league positions or champions league qualifications when your man left, meaning by your own logic that the club was ALREADY IN DECLINE

Do you get it?

no, it wasn't, and I've explained why it wasn't. The club is in decline because the revenues have dived, and the structures and ambitions have changed accordingly/as a result of.

Basic stuff this.

Your man will be ecstatic to finish 10th, this is his aim, the revenues have dived, our best players realise they are playing for a micky mouse club and so don't want to stay anymore, and you and your dad say the club isn't in decline ??

As discussed in this threrad, the revenues for this season look like being up there with the highest revenues the previous board ever achieved. They only exceeded £90m 3 times.

Obviously this is by virtue of the fact that TV money has been thrown at the club far in excess of what was previously paid, but it still makes your point about diving diving revenues moot, since they've clearly rebounded now.

On the other hand when Freddy was here revenue dived from £96m in 2003 to £83m in 2006. You cannot ignore that drop (which recovered) and pillory the drop under Ashley (which recovered).

Stevie is one of the posters who actually has an idea what he is talking about I'll give you that, which is why I don't disagree with him so much.

But I stick by what I've been saying for almost 4 years now. Mike Ashley will NEVER, EVER match the champions league and european qualifications of his predecessors, he is running the football club like Netto, the limit of his ambition is premiership survival [confirmed yesterday by Llambias for those who incredibly STILL disagree], and he will sell our best players to make up for revenue losses brought about by his own so called "prudency and financial wizardry" and turning this club from a top club into also rans constantly flirting with relegation, while making a couple of million profit if he can which will either not be invested back into the club or disappear down a black hole, not that a few million quid amounts to anything more than peanuts in premiership terms or the stature that a club like NUFC has enjoyed under the previous regime and should always enjoy.

People can "disagree" as much as they like, some have been doing it for a long time now, but the longer it goes on, the more the club is sinking and declining. It will NEVER recover to what it was with 3rd rate ambitions like it has now.

Personalities have absolutely nothing to do with it, which I pity those who allow their hatred for the ex-owners to come between them and their judgement and the absolute facts of what they achieved.

I'll leave this, I really hope someone like Toonpack or skidders doesn't come back and spout more absolute garbage.

We can only wait and see if your prophecy comes true. :lol:

Personally i think FFS and SJH went from doing a great job to royally fucking us up and puttin us in a mahoosive hole in which FMA is trying to dig us out of. That hole WAS made deeper by FMA, but the point is we already were left in deep shit by the previous regime.

Yes we had some great years under them and yes they showed ambition but the also made monumentfal fuck ups near the end.

I understand your opinion that we are not as ambitious now, far from it and we HAVE declined but we are NOT still in decline. We have hit the bottom, the bottom which was a culmination of errors from the past and the current regime, but we are now on the incline, albeit a slow incline.

Gradual progression and financial sustainability are the priorities now but the goal is to be financially sound, generating our own income for transfer fees and being back in europe once again.

Patience.

Im happy to wait and ride this out if it means we will be on a much stronger footing next time we are in europe and challenging.

I don't disagree with a word of that, not one word. Plenty do, we've got no chance of getting back in the CL with him. We were a self sufficient club under FFS, a top 2 club for a few years in the 90's and a top 4 club for 3 or 4 years in the 2000's. I think regardless of how well FFS did, if we could turn back time now, we could probably compete with Liverpool just about as we did then, but if Chelsea and Man City had the money then they do now, we'd be behind them too. You could get the best businessman in the world in without being a sugar daddy and the best we can ever hope to be without Asian billions, is what Tottenham are now. That's no slight on FFS it's just a fact of life in modern football. If every club had to rely on being self sufficient and no borrowing or major external investment allowed we'd have as good a chance as almost anyone.

The only thing I disagreed with in the main was that the club wasn't in decline prior to Ashley acquiring it, it was and it centred on one man, Graeme Souness, and obviously Freddy appointed him.

wtf are you wittering about man ;) You ARE accepting it. If not, accept that your man might not reach the league positions, champions league and european qualifications, and bring the players to the club that his predecessors did ?

He won't do it :mellow: The club is in decline. Expectations are down, revenues are down, ambitions are down. Your man Dekka has just said so......10th is the aim :lol:

Do you get it?

Basic stuff this.

As discussed in this threrad, the revenues for this season look like being up there with the highest revenues the previous board ever achieved. They only exceeded £90m 3 times.

Obviously this is by virtue of the fact that TV money has been thrown at the club far in excess of what was previously paid, but it still makes your point about diving diving revenues moot, since they've clearly rebounded now.

On the other hand when Freddy was here revenue dived from £96m in 2003 to £83m in 2006. You cannot ignore that drop (which recovered) and pillory the drop under Ashley (which recovered).

how long ago was this ? When will the club be 14th in footballs rich list again and investing on talent on the pitch to attempt to consolidate the position of the club at such a level ? Are you saying, if this ambition is brought to an end, the club isn't in decline ?

HappyFace...

Do you think we are just gonna bring in one player?

If we brought in say...

Gunter 3mil + 15k a week 5 year contract = 7mil

Taarabt 4mil + 30k a week 5 year contract = 12mil

Lens 8mil + 30k a week 5 year contract = 16mil

Derdiyok 8mil + 40k a week 5 year contract = 18.5mil

Thats a 23mil spend on transfer fee's and then 49.5mil on wages over 5 years. Just doesnt compute. There is no way on this earth that wages will be incorperated into the transfer pot as the wages will go into the running costs which will be covered every year with TV money and sponsorships as well as other incoming monies.

Those 4 players would increase the wage bill by 10 mil a year.

You can't say TV money will cover wages because we might get relegated.

We're being positioned financially as a club that can handle relegation without a complete overhaul.