Newcastle Finances in the Championship

Christmas Tree

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Managing director Derek Llambias said: 'Mike Ashley's money has kept this club buoyant. Quite honestly Newcastle United would not be here without him, its as simple as that.

No sentence boils my piss more than this. Without Ashley we'd never have dropped into the Championship in the first place so Dekka can shove this theory 3 miles up his own arsehole. It doesn't wash with me.

It's probably true though, we made a bigger loss than this in 2007 of £34.2 Mill then came the credit debacle, I can't see how we could have survived without someone with deep pockets.

If not "gone broke" we'd have been seriously skint and let's face it we'd been pretty crap for years, even the 7th placed finish was due to a bit of a late season run from a position of some danger. Being totally skint, reliant on credit (when there was none to be had) and shite, was not a recipe for a resurgence.

Edit - this is NOT a pro Ashley post.

you make me laugh, dicks like you. You just CAN'T look at anything without blaming Shepherd for SOMETHING can you? Get your head out of your arse. The REVENUE has dived, the club is in decline BECAUSE THE INTEREST IS DIVING, when will you get this into your thick skull. There are LESS SPONSORS (IF ANY), LESS TICKETS SOLD, LESS SHIRT ETC SOLD, this all comes down to less exposure, less interest etc on a european and global basis. This is NOT "good business", it is the OPPOSITE and is a club in decline.

Less revenue = less wages and smaller transfer fees = lower quality players = lower league positions = less interest = less wges and smaller transfer fees = lower quality players = lower league positions = less interest etc etc etc

How thick are you.

Managing director Derek Llambias said: 'Mike Ashley's money has kept this club buoyant. Quite honestly Newcastle United would not be here without him, its as simple as that.

No sentence boils my piss more than this. Without Ashley we'd never have dropped into the Championship in the first place so Dekka can shove this theory 3 miles up his own arsehole. It doesn't wash with me.

It's probably true though, we made a bigger loss than this in 2007 of £34.2 Mill then came the credit debacle, I can't see how we could have survived without someone with deep pockets.

If not "gone broke" we'd have been seriously skint and let's face it we'd been pretty crap for years, even the 7th placed finish was due to a bit of a late season run from a position of some danger. Being totally skint, reliant on credit (when there was none to be had) and shite, was not a recipe for a resurgence.

There is no fucking way in god's green earth that we'd have gone out of business without Mike Ashley. As JawD points out, someone else would have bought us. The Newcastle United brand is worth too much. Same goes for any top flight club tbh.

PRECISELY.

EXACTLY.

NAILED ON.

Whatever term you want to give it.

There is no fucking way in god's green earth that we'd have gone out of business without Mike Ashley. As JawD points out, someone else would have bought us. The Newcastle United brand is worth too much. Same goes for any top flight club tbh.

I'm not defending the bloke.

re-read my second paragraph (and my edit for that matter)

I accept we may have been "bought" by someone, but from what position, administration probably, the financial model was unsustainable (even if the credit crunch hadn't happened), the team was crap and we were heading one way.

The reason I say "from administration probably" is that we had huge debts, revenue was maxed out and we were piling up huge losses. If Ashley had done due dilligence (the idiot) he wouldn't have touched us with a barge pole. Seriously, what other buyer would ?? (unless of course we were being firesale'd by say an administrator).

Aye it's a strong even "great" brand, but once upon a time so was Woolworths.

All hypothetical of course, bottom line though, we needed a really rich twat, we got one, but sadly he's a bit dim, thank gawd he's minted though.

I'm expecting a massive profit next year, given the PL money and the sale of Carroll, Enrique et al.

a nice tidy balance sheet to cover the blow of relegation ?

Toonpack and people like him will be cheering from the Sports Direct rooftops

I'm expecting a massive profit next year, given the PL money and the sale of Carroll, Enrique et al.

What's your alternative?

City have spent 300m+ and aren't even top 4 - would you want Ashley to put 300m in?

That would mean he'd have to sell for about 600m to make any money - is that feasible?

Unfortunately steady progress (if possible) is the only realistic way forward - though as I've said I think he should spend moderately.

I'm not defending the bloke.

re-read my second paragraph (and my edit for that matter)

I accept we may have been "bought" by someone, but from what position, administration probably, the financial model was unsustainable (even if the credit crunch hadn't happened), the team was crap and we were heading one way.

The reason I say "from administration probably" is that we had huge debts, revenue was maxed out and we were piling up huge losses. If Ashley had done due dilligence (the idiot) he wouldn't have touched us with a barge pole. Seriously, what other buyer would ?? (unless of course we were being firesale'd by say an administrator).

Aye it's a strong even "great" brand, but once upon a time so was Woolworths.

All hypothetical of course, bottom line though, we needed a really rich twat, we got one, but sadly he's a bit dim, thank gawd he's minted though.

;)

and so says most teams in football, but most of them weren't established clubs with big expectation and had only qualified for europe - again - 12 months before being sold, so much for the "team being crap". What the fuck is it now ?

The brand was like Woolworths in 1991, shitforbrains. And heading back that way now.

You're a fucking tool of the highest order, like a lot of others. Do you blame Shepherd when it snows outside :lol:

That will be the litmus test. With the promotion money and Carroll sale we should have £50mil+ profit. Will Ashley plough it back into the club or claim it's time to start paying back all of his loans and pocket the lot?

and had only qualified for europe - again - 12 months before being sold, so much for the "team being crap". What the fuck is it now ?

I'd say there isn't much difference between that "wonder team" of 2006 you keep mentioning as if it was a continuation of earlier success which it wasn't and the team now.

That will be the litmus test. With the promotion money and Carroll sale we should have £50mil+ profit. Will Ashley plough it back into the club or claim it's time to start paying back all of his loans and pocket the lot?

will he shite. Isn't that statement already say that "part of the Carroll fee has been re-invested in Tiotes new contract" ?

So its 10th in the league, and selling our best players to make a profit of a few million quid a year to give to the manager. Thats the way forward Mike, go for it baby.

Edited by LeazesMag

Howzat? IIRC you were saying in the Mike Ashley thread we'd show a profit in these accounts too.

After relegation in May 2009, turnover fell from £86.1m to £52.4m in the Championship, with TV revenue tumbling from £37.6m to £16m.

So overall revenue dropped £33.7m

and TV revenue fell £21.6m

So other revenue fell £12.1m

We've got the TV money back.....not sure we've pulled back the sponsorship, crowds, pies, merchandise etc though. The average attendance was about 4000 less....but we played a lot more games.

Remember we were already running at a loss before relegation too. Without the Carroll cash I reckon we'd still have been running a loss for this financial year....they say break even....nowt like a £15m profit on top of the Carroll cash.

Edited by Happy Face

Well they seem to imply that next years results (for this year) will be break even, excluding the Carroll money.

While I wish there was all sorts of other stuff going on it is pretty clear that Ashley wants the club to run as a self financing operation and therefore this is good news IMO.

It won't help us crack the top four, but should over the longer term allow us to grow very steadily while remaining financially solid.

Not what fans ideally want but that's the way it's going to be.

Howzat? IIRC you were saying in the Mike Ashley thread we'd show a profit in these accounts too.

After relegation in May 2009, turnover fell from £86.1m to £52.4m in the Championship, with TV revenue tumbling from £37.6m to £16m.

So overall revenue dropped £33.7m

and TV revenue fell £21.6m

So other revenue fell £12.1m

We've got the TV money back.....not sure we've pulled back the sponsorship, crowds, pies, merchandise etc though.

Remember we were already running at a loss before relegation too. Without the Carroll cash I reckon we'd still have been running a loss for this financial year....they say break even....nowt like a £15m profit on top of the Carroll cash.

We wouldn't like. Our turnover outwith transfer income will be circa £95m/£105m this year. Our Tv income will go up from £16m to a conservative £55m, that's forgeting increased commercial activities the Premiership brings. The wage bill is only about 55-60% of that, guaranteed profit this season, because the loans are interest free or so he says, if they weren't (like Man Utd's) would probably be a different matter.

and had only qualified for europe - again - 12 months before being sold, so much for the "team being crap". What the fuck is it now ?

I'd say there isn't much difference between that "wonder team" of 2006 you keep mentioning as if it was a continuation of earlier success which it wasn't and the team now.

I've answered this a hundred times at least by now mate.

It's also part of a much bigger picture, and a post too.

Well they seem to imply that next years results (for this year) will be break even, excluding the Carroll money.

While I wish there was all sorts of other stuff going on it is pretty clear that Ashley wants the club to run as a self financing operation and therefore this is good news IMO.

It won't help us crack the top four, but should over the longer term allow us to grow very steadily while remaining financially solid.

Not what fans ideally want but that's the way it's going to be.

you mean like people said Everton were doing only a short while ago, no doubt casting envious eyes over at Everton forgetting the years we were way ahead of them ? Why anybody wanted us to swap places with Everton for a decade and a half is a mystery which only they know.

And what are Everton doing now, for all their "financially solid plan" ?

We wouldn't like. Our turnover outwith transfer income will be circa £95m/£105m this year. Our Tv income will go up from £16m to a conservative £55m, that's forgeting increased commercial activities the Premiership brings. The wage bill is only about 55-60% of that, guaranteed profit this season, because the loans are interest free or so he says, if they weren't (like Man Utd's) would probably be a different matter.

Our TV money in the PL last time was £38m...so we're £17m better off now according to your £55m figure

But like I said above, other turnover was £12m down....and I can't see it rising due to PL status so it's only really £5m better off.

Last time we were in the PL we turned a loss of £32.5m though.

So assuming the same wages...we'd be running a loss of £27m.

These accounts say the wages were £47m, down from £71m.... a £24m saving.

That leaves us a £3m loss....before you add Ben Arfa and Tiote's wages (assuming they're more than Carroll's)

These are all fag packet numbers, but I think the assumption of a hefty profit this time next year is rash.

Our TV money in the PL last time was £38m...so we're £17m better off now according to your £55m figure

But like I said above, other turnover was £12m down....and I can't see it rising due to PL status so it's only really £5m better off.

Last time we were in the PL we turned a loss of £32.5m though.

So assuming the same wages...we'd be running a loss of £27m.

These accounts say the wages were £47m, down from £71m.... a £24m saving.

That leaves us a £3m loss....before you add Ben Arfa and Tiote's wages (assuming they're more than Carroll's)

These are all fag packet numbers, but I think the assumption of a hefty profit this time next year is rash.

I can. The turnover will be at least £95m this season without any doubt, the profit will be between £8m and £15m, I'll bet you now. Turnover and profit when looking at the Deloitte & Touche crack, doesn't take in to account player transactions neither.

;)

and so says most teams in football, but most of them weren't established clubs with big expectation and had only qualified for europe - again - 12 months before being sold, so much for the "team being crap". What the fuck is it now ?

The brand was like Woolworths in 1991, shitforbrains. And heading back that way now.

You're a fucking tool of the highest order, like a lot of others. Do you blame Shepherd when it snows outside :lol:

Speaking of thick as pigshit, hiya Leazes :mellow:

I haven't mentioned Shepherd once in this thread. I have mentioned a few facts though.

BTW not starting the circle with you again, you are so fucking deluded it's unture !!!

will he shite. Isn't that statement already say that "part of the Carroll fee has been re-invested in Tiotes new contract" ?

That's typical bullshit. The money from Carroll's sale has nothing to do with our existing squad. You can't claim to be replacing him with players that are already in the fucking squad and play in different positions. They might as well just say the 35m is being spent on paying our players wages, and because of a shortfall of 15m we've had to sell Enrique, Jonas and Barton.

If they're only going to spend 10 or 20m of the Carroll money then just be upfront and open about it, instead of trying to dodgy up the numbers and effectively lie once again to the media and your supporters.

;)

Speaking of thick as pigshit, hiya Leazes :huh:

I haven't mentioned Shepherd once in this thread. I have mentioned a few facts though.

BTW not starting the circle with you again, you are so fucking deluded it's unture !!!

hoho. You don't answer the points I raise though, but you never have :mellow:

You're on the brink of making a massive u-turn and denying everything....same as the football "in your memory" which never happened.....

What a dickhead.

:unsure:

That's typical bullshit. The money from Carroll's sale has nothing to do with our existing squad. You can't claim to be replacing him with players that are already in the fucking squad and play in different positions. They might as well just say the 35m is being spent on paying our players wages, and because of a shortfall of 15m we've had to sell Enrique, Jonas and Barton.

If they're only going to spend 10 or 20m of the Carroll money then just be upfront and open about it, instead of trying to dodgy up the numbers and effectively lie once again to the media and your supporters.

The problem is that from a business financial point of view, re-negotiating and increasing a players contract is a massive investment. No too exciting for fans, but the increased wages do have to come from somewhere!

It's very sad for those who lived through the keegan times and never considered finances however the world is a different place today and those who try to look at today's going ons from a past standpoint are always going to be upset.

why did we give a new contract to someone who had just got their first contract 6months previously and had years to run on it?

Isn't that the reason we apparently sold carroll because because he wanted a new contract after just getting a new one and we said nein?

I think Tiotes upgrade was the right thing to do. He was on peanuts, played outstandingly and hopefully a worthy salary avoids him seeking pastures new in the summer.