Kenny Dalglish

McFaul

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not Dalglish's biggest fan either but wonder if his hand was forced in some of the sales as we'd went plc and money was needed? He did sign Speed, Given and Nobby despite the dodgy other signings. Wrong man at the wrong club at the wrong time. The Hall's had no real interest in us after we went plc. Anyway, shit or not he's far better than Souness, who was a fucking chancer extraordinaire.

This is totally the court I'm in. And for starters he wasn't Keegan. I don't care how rational you claim you are, the loss of KK was horrible to take and I don't think any manager would have been up to the same standard in most people's eyes (yes, even SBR).

Fact is we had become a PLC and the rules changed - it's partly why Keegan wanted out, he knew what was around the corner. I know for a fact Dalglish didn't want to sell Ferdinand but the club told him the Shearer money had to be repaid and that he was on his way. The deal to sell Lee Clark to Sunderland was completed by Keegan as well I'm led to believe (KK managed to delay the deal by 6 months though).

Worth noting too that despite his many years as a manager, his 18 months at SJP amount to the only time he managed a club that wasn't in private ownership.

I'm not Dalglish's biggest fan either but wonder if his hand was forced in some of the sales as we'd went plc and money was needed? He did sign Speed, Given and Nobby despite the dodgy other signings. Wrong man at the wrong club at the wrong time. The Hall's had no real interest in us after we went plc. Anyway, shit or not he's far better than Souness, who was a fucking chancer extraordinaire.

This is totally the court I'm in. And for starters he wasn't Keegan. I don't care how rational you claim you are, the loss of KK was horrible to take and I don't think any manager would have been up to the same standard in most people's eyes (yes, even SBR).

Fact is we had become a PLC and the rules changed - it's partly why Keegan wanted out, he knew what was around the corner. I know for a fact Dalglish didn't want to sell Ferdinand but the club told him the Shearer money had to be repaid and that he was on his way. The deal to sell Lee Clark to Sunderland was completed by Keegan as well I'm led to believe (KK managed to delay the deal by 6 months though).

Worth noting too that despite his many years as a manager, his 18 months at SJP amount to the only time he managed a club that wasn't in private ownership.

good point and probably beyond the comprehension of some.

Who's fault was it we became PLC then LM?

Who's fault was it we became PLC then LM?

oh dear.

When Mike Ashley gets anywhere near even matching the champions league, european qualifications, calibre of players signed and improvements to the stadium, never mind bettering it, all under the PLC, come back and ask that question which I suspect you either don't know or can't answer intelligently and factually yourself.

Even with the various excuses Dalglish was an unmitigated disaster, largely due to the decisions made by the man himself regarding personnel.

Edited by alex

As FFS said in his interview with Talksport, Keegan cited the PLC as a reason for leaving in January 2007, and in Shepherd's words "it was an excuse as it wouldn't have made any difference". The fact is it had little difference in effecting the resources Dalglish had to do his job so I feel that's irrelevant. He spent a lot of money and signed a lot of duds, the Ferdinand thing, if he'd have dug his heels in he could've kept him but £6m for a 30 year old seemed like good business anyway, and given his injuries at Tottenham I'd say it probably was even now. The PLC is an irrelevance in this argument about what an absolute disaster of a bloke, that cunt was for this club.

At first glance he appears to be a disaster but I'm of the opinion that all is not black & white in this case. Was he a good manager for us? No, but he brought what turned out to be three class players in Speed, Given and Nobby, had his hand forced regarding Ferdinand and while he made a pigs ear out of the Andersson, Pistone etc signings, I still think that Tommasson was a good buy which circumstances fucked up for us, and when he signed players at the end of their careers who he trusted for nothing, (Rush, Barnes and Stuart Pearce), it makes you think that the coffers were empty. Not lauding the bloke but giving a bit of perspective. (For what it's worth, I credit our late surge to get 2nd spot and our first crack at the CL with his decision to leave out Ginola and put Robbie Elliott in his place who could genuinely cover Beresford as he bombed forward as by then Ginola wasn't the same player and was obviously not happy). Maybe I'm being generous with him.

Even with the various excuses Dalglish was an unmitigated disaster, largely due to the decisions made by the man himself regarding personnel.

That's how I look at it as well. Al he needed to do was tweak the team but he more or less gutted it and replaced quality with absolute sub-standard dog shit.

At first glance he appears to be a disaster but I'm of the opinion that all is not black & white in this case. Was he a good manager for us? No, but he brought what turned out to be three class players in Speed, Given and Nobby, had his hand forced regarding Ferdinand and while he made a pigs ear out of the Andersson, Pistone etc signings, I still think that Tommasson was a good buy which circumstances fucked up for us, and when he signed players at the end of their careers who he trusted for nothing, (Rush, Barnes and Stuart Pearce), it makes you think that the coffers were empty. Not lauding the bloke but giving a bit of perspective. (For what it's worth, I credit our late surge to get 2nd spot and our first crack at the CL with his decision to leave out Ginola and put Robbie Elliott in his place who could genuinely cover Beresford as he bombed forward as by then Ginola wasn't the same player and was obviously not happy). Maybe I'm being generous with him.

If you chuck 1000 darts at a black board you'll get a treble twenty at some point. You're being hugely generous about him. People say Ginola's best 6 month were his first and it was down hill after that, he was still good in 96/97, when Dalglish came in Ginola's form completely nose dived. His body language before that UEFA Cup QF against Monaco said it all, and that was down to Dalglish, his tactics, and the fact he's a prick. I remember we played Forest in the Cup with largely the same team that beat Man Utd 5-0, three or four month earlier, Forest were bottom of the league, and we had two attacks all game and lost 1-2. Tactically, impact wise, strategically, direction wise, from where we were he was THE WORST manager we've ever had. I don't know how anyone could've took us further back than he did in such a short space of time.

For me the moment Carroll handed in a transfer request, he lost any right to be shown respect from our fans.

Agree about Dalglish though.

Will award myself 2 goals if we win at anfield (N.O.) :lol:

That's how I look at it as well. Al he needed to do was tweak the team but he more or less gutted it and replaced quality with absolute sub-standard dog shit.

If you chuck 1000 darts at a black board you'll get a treble twenty at some point. You're being hugely generous about him. People say Ginola's best 6 month were his first and it was down hill after that, he was still good in 96/97, when Dalglish came in Ginola's form completely nose dived. His body language before that UEFA Cup QF against Monaco said it all, and that was down to Dalglish, his tactics, and the fact he's a prick. I remember we played Forest in the Cup with largely the same team that beat Man Utd 5-0, three or four month earlier, Forest were bottom of the league, and we had two attacks all game and lost 1-2. Tactically, impact wise, strategically, direction wise, from where we were he was THE WORST manager we've ever had. I don't know how anyone could've took us further back than he did in such a short space of time.

Potato, tomato, potatto, tamato lets call the whole thing off! :lol:

If he bought a 1000 players and those three were the only good'uns then I agree with you Stevie, onnnne hundreeed and Eightyyyyy percent.

What went on with Dalglish and Ginola I would guess is he told him to cover and maybe wasn't as tactful as KK. Who knows?

Anyway, I'll leave it at that as I'm not Dalglish's flag bearer or biggest fan. (Honest!)

Potato, tomato, potatto, tamato lets call the whole thing off! :lol:

If he bought a 1000 players and those three were the only good'uns then I agree with you Stevie, onnnne hundreeed and Eightyyyyy percent.

What went on with Dalglish and Ginola I would guess is he told him to cover and maybe wasn't as tactful as KK. Who knows?

Anyway, I'll leave it at that as I'm not Dalglish's flag bearer or biggest fan. (Honest!)

thing about Dalglish is that he seemed to be just what was wanted, and not only because he would "tweak" [which I think is a myth, he isn't that defensively minded because ......] at Liverpool the first time he took over an already great side and made them better, better in respect of it was a great side and he actually introduced more flair into the team by virtue of Beardsly and Barnes. Barnes, a total attacking player who needed a free role, just like Ginola, and he got it.

At Blackburn he created a more functional team but still one that scored loads of goals and won the title.

So what could have gone wrong ?

I think as well as wanting Ginola to track back, he just didn't manage him or get on with him like KK did. One of the players said at the time [and I can't remember which one] that KK spent more time talking to Ginola than any other player at the club and more time with him than any manager he had known spend with any one player. KK knew how to get the best from Ginola, and Ginola was a brilliantly talented footballer but one of those who needed to be handled in his own special way. Not a lot of managers are prepared to do that.

As FFS said in his interview with Talksport, Keegan cited the PLC as a reason for leaving in January 2007, and in Shepherd's words "it was an excuse as it wouldn't have made any difference". The fact is it had little difference in effecting the resources Dalglish had to do his job so I feel that's irrelevant. He spent a lot of money and signed a lot of duds, the Ferdinand thing, if he'd have dug his heels in he could've kept him but £6m for a 30 year old seemed like good business anyway, and given his injuries at Tottenham I'd say it probably was even now. The PLC is an irrelevance in this argument about what an absolute disaster of a bloke, that cunt was for this club.

tbf it wouldn't be in Shepherd's interests to have said anything else. And I don't think the PLC was an irrelevance at all. Whilst he made plenty of mistakes during his time here, calling him an unmitigated disaster suggests he got absolutely nothing right. The signings of Speed, Solano & Given suggest otherwise.

he was THE WORST manager we've ever had.

I was no fan of him when he was here but steady on... Souness was considerably worse.

sorry a bit off topic but how do you think his going to do at liverpool? it looks good so far but can he maintain it?. i got a feeling he will do well, not sure if he will do just as well as 1st time round but he'll do well. .

Edited by carrolll40th

sorry a bit off topic but how do you think his going to do at liverpool? it looks good so far but can he maintain it?. i got a feeling he will do well, not sure if he will do just as well as 1st time round but he'll do well. .

He'll probably be like KK was back here in his second spell as manager. He'll do ok, is highly respected at his club and it'll show on the pitch but like KK, the really, really good times wont be coming back.

He'll probably be like KK was back here in his second spell as manager. He'll do ok, is highly respected at his club and it'll show on the pitch but like KK, the really, really good times wont be coming back.

Carrying on in that vein it's mightily fucking rich of the scousers with their 'love in' for their messiah when you consider the shite they threw our way about KK.

So long as he's financially backed, he'll do a decent job but I agree, it'll be nowt like before.

Carrying on in that vein it's mightily fucking rich of the scousers with their 'love in' for their messiah when you consider the shite they threw our way about KK.

So long as he's financially backed, he'll do a decent job but I agree, it'll be nowt like before.

I must have missed the rolling eyed, smirking, tut-tutting by the usual suspects in the media/phone-in shows about Liverpool fans being pleased/wanting Kenny back, for Christ knows they gave it to us!

I must have missed the rolling eyed, smirking, tut-tutting by the usual suspects in the media/phone-in shows about Liverpool fans being pleased/wanting Kenny back, for Christ knows they gave it to us!

You're forgetting the massive proportion of the media who are Liverpool fans.. :lol:

You're forgetting the massive proportion of the media who are Liverpool fans.. :lol:

Apart from Hansen, Lawrenson, Collymore, Beglin, Thompson, and Alan Green I'm struggling to name one, to be honest.

Ray Houghton!

Edited by Howmanheyman

Don't forget that Colin Murray too. Does Kelly Cates still work in the media too?

Works for ESPN.

I'd still do her. Preggers as well right now.

Puts out then.