Days out in the country

Christmas Tree

yesterday we went to Wylam and Ovingham. Lovely day, walked around, along the river etc, had a few sarnies and packed grub etc, then a drink in the pub over Wylam bridge [the Boathouse?]. First time I've been there, only had one pint though because I was driving.

I recommended the Keelmans at Newburn to CT, and this is good as well. Its right next to Wylam station if you get the train.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How long are you taking for it and which way? I went west to east over 4 days a few years back. Loved it. Didnt camp though, we used a sherpa service and b&b'd it on the way over. Cracking walk but stock up on compeed.

East to west mate, going from Monday to Saturday, camping most nights but stopping in a b and b in carlisle. Aye, its the last thing I need to get. Had a mare yesterday with a huge blister in between my big toe and my second toe after being on my feet all weekend at work etc! Popped it this morning though and it feels better already. Hopefully it will be fully healed by next week. Don't know whether I am really wanting this weather to continue onto next week or to cool down a bit as I reckon it may be hard in the heat. Though the thought of setting up camp at about 4 in the afternoon and enjoying rural Northumberland in this weather sounds more than appealing.

I went to Matlock Bath in the peak district for a friends stag do at the weekend and it was beautiful. The town itself was really nice with some great pubs & a picturesque town centre.

We went caving on the morning which was a slight break from the 22 degree sunshine as it was freezing in the cave & I was a tad hungover. Some of the gaps we got through defied physics but you'll be amazed what you make yourself get through when you are in a cave underground. We also had to do quite a long bit with our headlamps off one by one, as it was so tight he reckons people don't go near it if they can see where they're going!

After that we went for a decent meal in some place I really couldn't navigate myself before going quad biking on a 12 mile trek with all kinds of different terrain. During the health & safety instructions I was a little sceptical as I didn't really think they'd go that fast, they reached about 55-60 which in a field feels fast! Obviously after this we did the regular stag do thing of getting mortal. ;)

Really enjoyed the entire weekend & I would reccomend the place.

yesterday we went to Wylam and Ovingham. Lovely day, walked around, along the river etc, had a few sarnies and packed grub etc, then a drink in the pub over Wylam bridge [the Boathouse?]. First time I've been there, only had one pint though because I was driving.

I recommended the Keelmans at Newburn to CT, and this is good as well. Its right next to Wylam station if you get the train.

Aye Leazes, I think a few have mentioned this in the pub forum and its definitely on my list to visit.

Friday Im off to the lakes for the Bank Holiday and cant wait. Looking forward to nice walks in Grizedale, a trip to the South Lakes Safari park which is first class, a trip down windermere on the boats followed by copious amounts of real ale.

Just relieved the temperatures look like they are going to drop.

Happy Days.

Edited by Christmas Tree

Aye the Keelman is good for families like, me fatha is a face in there, he absolutely loves it but it's an old mans bar, the foods pish too but it's a fantastic setting on a summers day, not for young divvies on the piss though.

FAO Stevie

Saw this and thought of you :)

I was there on Saturday evening as it goes :-)

Been all over mountain biking this weekend like. Saturday I did the Derwent Walk on the bike Swalwell to Consett, I recommend it to everyone. If you're biking it or just having a walk with your lass, or your kids, it's absolutely stunning. It's 11 miles like, so if you're a fat cunt give it a miss but if you're not I actually insist on yous doing it. Some lush little pubs on the way too. I went from there to Consett ( like the hills have eyes the people up there - canny enough place though) then to Stanley. Then back to Consett, up to Chopwell, got a bite to eat at the lasses in Prudhoe, then back through Wylam and back to Newcastle. Easily 60 mile there, but I loved it.

Yesterday probably did 35 miles. Went through the toon, Sheilds Road, Byker, past Swan Hunters, through that little marina at Royal Quays (totally stunning that by the way with all the little yachts), had a quick pint at the porthole and got the ferry over to Sewth Sheylds. Fuck me did the weather change. From 78 degree heat, you were immersed in freezing fog, was fuckin aaful. Anyway got a bit lost, went past that big stone thing that you can see from Level 7, back in the sunshine, through this leafy village, not sure what it was called but was amazed South Tyneside had somewhere so lovely. Then got some scran near a golf range, and went through to Sunderland. What a shithole as ever, even when it's sunny. Got the train back and met a few pals in the denton, I counted up I had 9 pints with me bike yesterday. Sounds like a funny way to spend a day but I loved it. Me arse feels like Jean Claude van Damme's today now though.

8yf11l.jpg

51vmms.jpg

Ye can see the fog coming in here, honestly as soon as you went in it the temperature dropped 20 degrees.

asitd.jpg

1ot7no.jpg

o5xjdh.jpg

The big brick thing will have been cleadon water tower and the leafy village will have been cleadon.

1022242.jpg

Aye I was on the other side to this pic though, was more trees and what not, lovely country lane through there. I have to say, I was hugely impressed, the houses were massive, similar to the nice ones in Jesmond. As soon as you get to that beefeater beside the roundabout and golf driving range, the awful accents begin though :( It sounds bigoted, I am, I admit it, I just can't listen to mackems, they must know themselves they have a shite accent. It's just the Keith Chegwin of accents.

I went to Matlock Bath in the peak district for a friends stag do at the weekend and it was beautiful. The town itself was really nice with some great pubs & a picturesque town centre.

We went caving on the morning which was a slight break from the 22 degree sunshine as it was freezing in the cave & I was a tad hungover. Some of the gaps we got through defied physics but you'll be amazed what you make yourself get through when you are in a cave underground. We also had to do quite a long bit with our headlamps off one by one, as it was so tight he reckons people don't go near it if they can see where they're going!

After that we went for a decent meal in some place I really couldn't navigate myself before going quad biking on a 12 mile trek with all kinds of different terrain. During the health & safety instructions I was a little sceptical as I didn't really think they'd go that fast, they reached about 55-60 which in a field feels fast! Obviously after this we did the regular stag do thing of getting mortal. ;)

Really enjoyed the entire weekend & I would reccomend the place.

Its weird there aint it Tom? My gfriends parents dont live far from there. Its like a seaside town in the middle of the country.

Yeh it does feel quite strange. One of the pubs we went in was called 'The Fish Bowl' & the adjacent river/stream was full of coy fish!

A great time was had by all! :banana:

Aye Leazes, I think a few have mentioned this in the pub forum and its definitely on my list to visit.

Friday Im off to the lakes for the Bank Holiday and cant wait. Looking forward to nice walks in Grizedale, a trip to the South Lakes Safari park which is first class, a trip down windermere on the boats followed by copious amounts of real ale.

Just relieved the temperatures look like they are going to drop.

Happy Days.

http://www.theboatho...m.co.uk/gallery

http://www.keelmanslodge.co.uk/

Edited by LeazesMag

On Boxing day they have a raft race in the river, its class, you see all sorts of contraptions coming down the river. A garden shed was used this year.

Class! :lol:

It looks like that kind of place, lots of characters about!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

FAO Stevie

Saw this and thought of you :)

Just noticed that Hadrian and Borders Brewery are holding a beer festival here over the Bank Holiday weekend (25th - 27th August) and also at their sister pub, The Kings Manor.

Alas Im in London that weekend :( and :) I suppose.

http://hadrian-border-brewery.co.uk/monthly_update.html

Just noticed that Hadrian and Borders Brewery are holding a beer festival here over the Bank Holiday weekend (25th - 27th August) and also at their sister pub, The Kings Manor.

Alas Im in London that weekend :( and :) I suppose.

http://hadrian-borde...hly_update.html

Are they connected to Big Lamp Brewery?

There's loads of nice places for a Sunday afternoons scran with your lass within 25 mile of everyone. Been to some lush places this year. The Punch Bowl at Edmondbyers, to be honest there's fuck all there, but the scran at this place is top draw 10a for a Sunday dinner. You're literally on the doorstep of the Pennines though, and from Edmondbyers head towards Stanhope, I'm not shitting you, you can literally see the whole North East, from the Northern Cheviots to the toon, to the The Cleveland Hills sloping away at Redcar.

There's lots of lovely little places between Rowlands Gill and Consett you would never think of going, very nice place that does dinners just off the Derwent Path walk, and loads of other places near Shotley Bridge, there is a BELTA Italians at the bottom we went tee forget its' name though. I'd recommend anyone do the Derwent Walk though, it's so nice you forget you're in England, especially on a sunny day. Last time I did it I came back looking like Garth Crooks.

My fav all time country place for scran though is the Wellington at Riding Mill, best food ever, totally lush setting with the biggest beer garden you've ever seen.

Aye the Keelman is good for families like, me fatha is a face in there, he absolutely loves it but it's an old mans bar, the foods pish too but it's a fantastic setting on a summers day, not for young divvies on the piss though.

I was there on Saturday evening as it goes :-)

Been all over mountain biking this weekend like. Saturday I did the Derwent Walk on the bike Swalwell to Consett, I recommend it to everyone. If you're biking it or just having a walk with your lass, or your kids, it's absolutely stunning. It's 11 miles like, so if you're a fat cunt give it a miss but if you're not I actually insist on yous doing it. Some lush little pubs on the way too. I went from there to Consett ( like the hills have eyes the people up there - canny enough place though) then to Stanley. Then back to Consett, up to Chopwell, got a bite to eat at the lasses in Prudhoe, then back through Wylam and back to Newcastle. Easily 60 mile there, but I loved it.

Yesterday probably did 35 miles. Went through the toon, Sheilds Road, Byker, past Swan Hunters, through that little marina at Royal Quays (totally stunning that by the way with all the little yachts), had a quick pint at the porthole and got the ferry over to Sewth Sheylds. Fuck me did the weather change. From 78 degree heat, you were immersed in freezing fog, was fuckin aaful. Anyway got a bit lost, went past that big stone thing that you can see from Level 7, back in the sunshine, through this leafy village, not sure what it was called but was amazed South Tyneside had somewhere so lovely. Then got some scran near a golf range, and went through to Sunderland. What a shithole as ever, even when it's sunny. Got the train back and met a few pals in the denton, I counted up I had 9 pints with me bike yesterday. Sounds like a funny way to spend a day but I loved it. Me arse feels like Jean Claude van Damme's today now though.

8yf11l.jpg

51vmms.jpg

Ye can see the fog coming in here, honestly as soon as you went in it the temperature dropped 20 degrees.

asitd.jpg

1ot7no.jpg

o5xjdh.jpg

just saw this. On another day, you could have bumped into me in either the Denton or the Porthole.