Richard Scudamore's 39th match

Is this very embarrassing to the Premier League?  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The Premier League is run by a man who wants a 39th match (to be played abroad).

This would involve an exciting lottery to see if we got an easy opponent, or a difficult opponent in the 39th match.

Is it a total embarrassment for the very rich Premier League that its chief supports this idea?

Edited by Nick-Kielce-Poland

I'd rather the Charity Shield be played abroad. 2 Premier League sides, playing a pseudo competitive game as an advert for the league abroad, not many UK fans care too much about the "trophy" but it's of sufficient significance that American, Asian or Middle Eastern fans can get excited about seeing at least 1 top class English side.

The idea of playing a match abroad can be debated.

But even if you don't agree with that idea, its stupidity pales into insignificance compared to the stupidity of each team playing 3 times against one of the the other teams, while playing 2 against all the other teams.

And this man runs football in England!!!

The whole idea is a total joke and a disgrace, I agree with The Fish that if it HAS to be done make it the Charity shield but even then I'd rather keep that in the country. Seriously what's the point in say Stoke vs Birmingham being played in Dubai or something.

Is this extremely embarrassing to the vey rich Premier League?

Yes, extremely embarrassing.

It is embarrassing.

No, it's not embarrassing.

Way to go, statto. You should do this professionally.

Yeah, we'll have Chelsea vs Man Utd, live from the Burakidrome, home of Korona Kielce.

Spierdalaj ty glupia pizda

Edited by asteroidblitz

Why do you laugh so much at your own jokes Nick? They're like the ultimate in-joke in that you're the only one who gets it. Very odd.

Lovely way of saying his jokes are gash

• 3 years later...

Well i for one would like to attend the charity shield if we ever qualify again.I certainly couldn't afford to go if it was played in Singapore,Sydney or some other far flung destination.It's simply to make more money for the Premier League and bugger the fans who cannot make the trip.If Ashley had his way,all our games would be played at grounds that would generate the most money.

Looks like the idea isn't totally dead, they're now talking about playing regular league games overseas. Thoughts?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29532996

Seems completely unfair to me. I.e. one team has to forgo a home game, teams like Man Utd will be well supported wherever they play etc. I think it'll happen because of the moolah though.

Owners of clubs will be looking at the money on offer.Will clubs be putting on free buses to Singapore for the fans wanting to attend.

I wonder what the mackems will do?

I'd rather the Charity Shield be played abroad. 2 Premier League sides, playing a pseudo competitive game as an advert for the league abroad, not many UK fans care too much about the "trophy" but it's of sufficient significance that American, Asian or Middle Eastern fans can get excited about seeing at least 1 top class English side.

The whole idea is a total joke and a disgrace, I agree with The Fish that if it HAS to be done make it the Charity shield but even then I'd rather keep that in the country. Seriously what's the point in say Stoke vs Birmingham being played in Dubai or something.

Miss out on a trip to Wembley with more supporters able to get a ticket just so the rich clubs can get a bit richer and some foreigners get to experience something we very rarely do? Fuck that.

Miss out on a trip to Wembley with more supporters able to get a ticket just so the rich clubs can get a bit richer and some foreigners get to experience something we very rarely do? Fuck that.

That's fair but do you really give a fuck about it? When you're competing for a title or win the FA Cup, is the Charity Shield anything but a friendly?

The clubs likely to "compete" in the Charity Shield don't give a shit about it, so the fans who go aren't likely to be the fans like us; starved of trophies to the point a tin pot like the Shield would be a wonderful addition to the cabinet.

Also Revenue from the gate receipts and match programme sales is distributed to the 124 clubs who competed in The FA Cup from the First Round onwards, for onward distribution to charities and projects of their choice, while the remainder is distributed to the FA's national charity partners. /Wiki

I understand that it'd feel like "outsourcing" but honestly it'd be nice for Manchester Utd and City fans to have a fixture round the corner from their homes in Taipei. ;)

That's fair but do you really give a fuck about it? When you're competing for a title or win the FA Cup, is the Charity Shield anything but a friendly?

The clubs likely to "compete" in the Charity Shield don't give a shit about it, so the fans who go aren't likely to be the fans like us; starved of trophies to the point a tin pot like the Shield would be a wonderful addition to the cabinet.

Also Revenue from the gate receipts and match programme sales is distributed to the 124 clubs who competed in The FA Cup from the First Round onwards, for onward distribution to charities and projects of their choice, while the remainder is distributed to the FA's national charity partners. /Wiki

I understand that it'd feel like "outsourcing" but honestly it'd be nice for Manchester Utd and City fans to have a fixture round the corner from their homes in Taipei. ;)

Anyone winning it who hasn't done so for years or getting to the charity shield by being a runner-up would embrace a day out. Imagine taking that away from them? (Especially if they didn't get tickets to the final itself due to FA giving half the tickets to 'friends' of theirs).

Edited by Howmanheyman

Anyone winning it who hasn't done so for years or getting to the charity shield by being a runner-up would embrace a day out. Imagine taking that away from them?

But they've either just finished 2nd or just won the FA Cup, and I'm not sure many fans care as much about the Shield as you do.

And as I said in my first post about this; if a game HAS to go abroad it's far far better for it to be a friendly than a proper league game. Imagine newly promoted Derby (or whomever) missing out on a trip to Old Trafford because Scudamore has sent it to Dubai.