Game of Thrones - *SPOILER ALERT*

Tooj

I'm not convinced of that. His last word in the book is Ghost which suggests the Warg option is more likely. Plus when Thoros resurects Dondarrion and Lady Stoneheart they lose some of what made them what they were before. I can't see the writer wanting to go that way with Jon Snow/Targarian as he's the main hero in the whole story. Although Mel arriving back at the wall just before the stabbing occurs does suggest she plays a role.

I'm interested to see where they go with Stannis after this. I'm assuming he's not dead since it makes no sense to kill him half way through an episode and not show it.

I doubt the Greyjoy subplot will make it to the show as they've not set it up at all and it could well slow dragon tits journey to Westerous down even more. I don't see Griff and young Griff making an apperance now either.

if he goes into Ghost, how can he be a main character after? There's nobody up at the wall who can be a POV character. and JS is too integral to the central "mystery" (Who is Jon's mother) and given only Ned knew and nobody else cares it'd waste half of George RR Martin's story.

398px-Heroesjourney.svg.png

Edited by The Fish

if he goes into Ghost, how can he be a main character after? There's nobody up at the wall who can be a POV character. and JS is too integral to the central "mystery" (Who is Jon's mother) and given only Ned knew and nobody else cares it'd waste half of George RR Martin's story.

I'm not sure exactly how it would work, Jon's body couldn't die because then he'd be stuck in Ghost. But I'm guessing something he goes into Ghost while his body is saved. Maybe with the help of Melidandre. I'm certain he's not dead though. Re the POV, I'm sure there are parts of Bran's POV when he's Summer so it could be done with Jon in Ghost. But Melisandre also had a POV chapter in one of the last two books and she's there so that would be another way round for a while. But also since she's had one, basically any other character could get the odd chapter if necessary to move the story on. Edd or Alister Thorne maybe.

I'm not sure exactly how it would work, Jon's body couldn't die because then he'd be stuck in Ghost. But I'm guessing something he goes into Ghost while his body is saved. Maybe with the help of Melidandre. I'm certain he's not dead though. Re the POV, I'm sure there are parts of Bran's POV when he's Summer so it could be done with Jon in Ghost. But Melisandre also had a POV chapter in one of the last two books and she's there so that would be another way round for a while. But also since she's had one, basically any other character could get the odd chapter if necessary to move the story on. Edd or Alister Thorne maybe.

with the POV bit, I meant that it has to be Jon, be he within Ghost or no.

fwiw I reckon someone will come across the scene (probably the Red Witch) scare off the assassins somehow, get him to a bed. While he's out, that's when he'll start jumping into the wolf, helped by her. Georgey boy has faked people's death before; Davos, Brienne, etc.)

Edited by The Fish

with the POV bit, I meant that it has to be Jon, be he within Ghost or no.

fwiw I reckon someone will come across the scene (probably the Red Witch) scare off the assassins somehow, get him to a bed. While he's out, that's when he'll start jumping into the wolf, helped by her. Georgey boy has faked people's death before; Davos, Brienne, etc.)

Aye I agree with that. There are no POV's of characters brought back from the dead (Dondarrion or LSH) so that's another reason why I don't think he'll be brought back like that. They need to have him as a POV you're right but they could use a couple of chapters of other POV's if he's out of action for a bit like Bran was in the first book.

Can't see them going down the warging route in the show, he's not been set up as capable of that and I really don't think it would translate well on screen. Probs just Mel to the rescue.

Of course it could be totally different in the books :dunno: We've already seen the books sack off events, characters and entire storylines, so this might free up Kit Harrington to pursue his ill-fated movie career.

Of course it could be totally different in the books :dunno: We've already seen the books sack off events, characters and entire storylines, so this might free up Kit Harrington to pursue his ill-fated movie career.

Jonas could be right, they've not really set up the fact that all the Stark children are Wargs in GOT so it would be a bit out of the blue if they have Jon Warg now. I don't see any way they can have him die though it would change the point of the story completely if they do that. He's the only defence against the Others really since none of the other major characters even believe them other than the possibly dead Stannis and Davos

Jonas could be right, they've not really set up the fact that all the Stark children are Wargs in GOT so it would be a bit out of the blue if they have Jon Warg now. I don't see any way they can have him die though it would change the point of the story completely if they do that. He's the only defence against the Others really since none of the other major characters even believe them other than the possibly dead Stannis and Davos

Mind you, after all that... http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/game-of-thrones-star-kit-harington-on-dramatic-jon-snow-season-5-finale-storyline-10319909.html

Could be a deliberate curve ball and might not be reflected in the books?

Mind you, after all that... http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/game-of-thrones-star-kit-harington-on-dramatic-jon-snow-season-5-finale-storyline-10319909.html

Could be a deliberate curve ball and might not be reflected in the books?

Nah I don't buy that. I'm all for them going off course because it means we get two different tracks but I just can't see them changing something so fundemental to the story as a whole.

There's going to be no cunt left at this rate

Don't worry, this guy's still alive,

Rickon_Stark.jpg

even though he's a child, has done nothing other than whine on a bit and hasn't been heard of since the 3rd season.

Don't worry, this guy's still alive,

Rickon_Stark.jpg

even though he's a child, has done nothing other than whine on a bit and hasn't been heard of since the 3rd season.

He's still got

1540fed8eca637828adcce00ca4b1217.jpg

With him. I wouldn't be in a hurry to get back to the plot if I were him

Haha sorry. Given that we're discussing GOT surely NSFW is already implied. The whole show is based on tits!

:lol: could you at least pop the image within spoiler tags?

Erm maybe when I get back to the office. Fucked if I know how to do it on tapatalk

pop it between [*spoiler] [*/spoiler] without the stars

Edited by The Fish

• 1 month later...

Victarion, Euron or Damphair?

It would be a (welcome) surprise if they brought the Greyjoy story now after leaving them out of the last season. Victarion should be a reasonably big role but Euron could fit the description. I could easily see him playing that part too.

It would be a (welcome) surprise if they brought the Greyjoy story now after leaving them out of the last season. Victarion should be a reasonably big role but Euron could fit the description. I could easily see him playing that part too.

Could also be a brand new character as we're pretty much all caught up with the books. Old Georgey boy needs to finish 6 & 7 soon. The new season of Game of Thrones must be recording soon as it'll be out in the Spring, won't it?

I think I heard somewhere that it's not going to be on until a bit later next year. The hope being that it allows for the next book to come out next spring. Not sure if that's right and I think they have begun filming already in Ireland.

• 6 months later...

Found the dedicated thread. Yey. Can now talk about it without feeling the guilt of spoiling it for others.

I support Gemmill's stance of not trying to spoil any show, film or book for anyone but when a program has been on nearly a year ago I don't really think anyone should have to second guess whether someone has seen it. I didn't start watching GOT until the third season was about to show and I'd picked up some spoilers by then but I just accepted that because it's not anyone elses fault that I was so far behind.

I don't agree with what Haydnator is saying in general about Stannis and the show runners feelings for him. I've seen that levelled at them before and I don't buy it. He seems to be a character that a lot of book readers love (I'm not really one of them) and because some of his story/actions/lines haven't been quite the same in the show it's been taken that they hate him and want to destroy him.

It's not just because some of his actions have been changed, but it seems like they've completely changed his character. Aye, they have a limited budget to work with and they have to fit it all into 10 hours of TV, but one of the most favoured and supported characters from the books has been completely changed. If you've read the books, it should be staring you in the face how much they've changed him for the worse.

For me you're reading something into it that's not there. They've trimmed and changed things largely because they have to make a ten episode season work. Sometimes that means some of our (and I'm sure their) favourite bits get cut. There's nothing more too it than that. And there was no chance he was ever going on end up on the Iron Throne anyway.

True, like both of us have said, they have a limited budget to work with and they have to fit it all into 10 hours so they can't have every character and every plot line from the books in the show. But some parts in the show were unnecessarily there, and I thought were just there for shock value, such as the burning of Shireen and the parts in Dorne, both of which were, imho, badly written. If it's to water down the parts in Dorne and the North in the 4th and 5th books then fair enough, but Stannis' scenes in the North were written poorly. Think about it, one of the greatest commanders in Westeros at the time is killed by a ugly bastard who wields his sword like a butcher's knife and little military credibility, because of the world's most convenient plot device of "20 good men". I don't mind if Stannis does lose the battle in Winds of Winter, but they could have demonstrated it with blatant character assassination.

It's one of John Snow or dragon tits for me but I've never thought of it as particularly important anyway.

And I think those two are the most likely as well, if the R+L=J theory is indeed true. Which it most likely is.

Oh and they have to divert away from the books as they have no book to stick to at the minute. Winds of Winter isn't out yet and even if it was there's no chance A Dream Of Spring will be out by the time they would reach that part of the story (two years max I would say) as that's unlikely to hit book shelves this decade.

George RR Martin has told the writers how all of it ends, in case he dies before he finishes them. So they'll have an idea, as well as the creator to consult with, with how it all ends. The Battle in the North between Stannis and the Boltons will happen very early on in The Winds of Winter, but it hasn't happened yet at the end of A Dance With Dragons. Indeed, we knew from a chapter GRRM himself published on his own web page over a year ago that Theon gets taken to Stannis' army as a captive by a Lord of House Umber's men, and there gets interrogated by Stannis himself. Nothing in the pre-released chapter is inconsistent with Stannis eventually getting his arse kicked by the Boltons, or even with the contents of the so-called "Pink Letter" (which is a letter from Ramsay Bolton sent to Jon Snow which claims that Stannis was defeated and killed in a battle with the Boltons and their allies that lasted seven days). Rather, the fact that Stannis is dead in the HBO series is merely the first of many spoilers that D&D are aiming at GRRM and the books; in essence, they're probably already covering parts of TWoW, even though it hasn't been finished yet. But it's incredibly unlikely Stannis will lose, seeing what his position is, and what is happening in Winterfell at this point.