It's Yohan Cabaye

Toonpack

• Replies 976
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did I mention we're related? :lol:

Alan, is that you? :lol:

I'm related to his son as well, funnily enough.

Civil partner?

(gay jokes are still funny as a grown up lol)

He's very civil, aye.

his best performance of the season by a country mile against villa. first time i've seen him boss the midfield. good to see him getting forward and getting a few shots off. our strikers are mostly shot shy so the midfield will need to chip in with a few. the goals for column is looking threadbare already.

his best performance of the season by a country mile against villa. first time i've seen him boss the midfield. good to see him getting forward and getting a few shots off. our strikers are mostly shot shy so the midfield will need to chip in with a few. the goals for column is looking threadbare already.

Aye, basically we've got a decent midfield (barring injuries) so we're not going to get overrun but unless Ben Arfa has a really good season we're not going to score anywhere near enough to get beyond about 10th place. Still reckon 12th is realistic.

Some of you are going to love this.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/se...ted-alan-pardew

Yohan Cabaye fuels French revolution at Newcastle United

Newcastle United are developing stability. That should probably be trumpeted across the headline of this piece; it certainly explains why the team have defied hysterical pre-season forecasts of doom and are in the upper part of the table, unbeaten from their first five matches. Wasn't Mike Ashley supposed to be presiding over the ruin of this club?

The sales of high-earning players such as Andy Carroll, Kevin Nolan, José Enrique and Joey Barton were said by some, not least Barton, to be catastrophic for Newcastle. But this accomplished performance was the most persuasive evidence yet that the players hired to replace the departed – for modest fees and on sustainable salaries – are in fact talented enough to achieve the club's ambitions and not merely on the balance sheet.

Cutting cost without slashing quality requires canny recruitment. Newcastle challenged for the Bargain of the Season award last term with the purchase of the Ivorian midfielder Cheik Tioté for £3.5m from FC Twente – and his new central midfield partner looks set to compete for that prize this term. Yohan Cabaye was the best player on the pitch against Villa; he and Tioté established a platform that enabled the visitors to dominate for long periods. The £4.8m summer signing from the French champions, Lille, has an eye for a cutting pass and a knack for finding space to shoot from the edge of the area.

He struck one shot inches wide in the opening minutes against Villa, for whom Gabriel Agbonlahor opened the scoring in the 13th minute; then he hit another against the crossbar just before Leon Best's equaliser in the second half. He almost secured the victory that his team deserved with a third shot late on, only for Shay Given to produce a superb one‑handed save.

Cabaye scored 18 goals in his last two seasons for Lille. That led to him earning six caps for France and the Newcastle manager, Alan Pardew, is justifiably excited about the impact he is starting to make in the Premier League. Once the 5ft 9in schemer fully adapts to the physicality of the Premier League, he should be a formidable force.

"I don't want to build him up to much at this stage because he's still learning his trade," said Pardew. "There have been a couple of games this year where he's struggled – he needs to get a grip of the hurly-burly of the Premier League but if we can get him on the ball he's an outstanding player. There's no mystery why he's in the French national team. He has a gift of a pass – his vision is his real quality. He has that special intelligence. He showed that against Villa, where he and Cheik controlled the midfield, with help from Demba Ba, and that's something we didn't do very well last season."

The French winger Gabriel Obertan also impressed against Villa. With Hatem Ben Arfa scheduled to return to action in the Carling Cup tie against Nottingham Forest on Tuesday after almost a year out injured, and two other summer recruits from the French league also in line to feature in that match – the winger Sylvain Marveau and the midfielder Mehdi Abeid – there is a strong Francophone presence at Newcastle, producing signs that the club's strategy is paying off.

"It hasn't been a planned process to sign French players, it's about making sure that we've got players who fit our salary system and can take us forward," said Pardew. "That's not easy but we've worked very, very hard to get these players and they're gelling nicely."

:lol:

It's something we didnt do very well only last week.

Anyway really hope the boys can gel together and find that elusive thing that imho has served us well since our return to the Prem-the actual desire to play for this football club. I'm inclined to think well of those we've bought until there's evidence to suggest otherwise, so it'd be nice if we could show them patience, particularly the likes of Obertan.

Big week coming up and i'm going to regret saying this as when we were in this position last season, a little bit of confidence would bubble up which would immediately be burst by a couple of defeats. However, progression in the cup and victory next saturday would represent a fantastic start to the season and strong evidence that the management of first team affairs is under good stewardship. I personally reckon Pardew needs a lot of credit as whether he has any role in identifying players or not, its him thats dealt with losing Barton and Enrique and integrating the new look midfield. Challenges everywhere (loss of Jonas's best mate, how to play Tiote / Cabaye together, where the fuck are the goals coming from, the left back postion generally, new right wing play) so in a weeks time, if things go well, he should be able to take some big credit.

Lets see though, Blackburn were a bit lucky on saturday but they'll be bouncing on the back of that and Forest away is the sort of fixture we lose.

There's no fucking chance we'll win on Saturday. I'm heading over for it and haven't seen us get a win in about 7 years.

Soz lads.

We'll win on Satdee, purely for the fact they beat Arsenal a couple of days ago and will be overconfident that they're a good side.

Newcastle United are developing stability. That should probably be trumpeted across the headline of this piece; it certainly explains why the team have defied hysterical pre-season forecasts of doom and are in the upper part of the table, unbeaten from their first five matches. Wasn't Mike Ashley supposed to be presiding over the ruin of this club?

The sales of high-earning players such as Andy Carroll, Kevin Nolan, José Enrique and Joey Barton were said by some, not least Barton, to be catastrophic for Newcastle. But this accomplished performance was the most persuasive evidence yet that the players hired to replace the departed – for modest fees and on sustainable salaries – are in fact talented enough to achieve the club's ambitions and not merely on the balance sheet.

Cutting cost without slashing quality requires canny recruitment. Newcastle challenged for the Bargain of the Season award last term with the purchase of the Ivorian midfielder Cheik Tioté for £3.5m from FC Twente – and his new central midfield partner looks set to compete for that prize this term. Yohan Cabaye was the best player on the pitch against Villa; he and Tioté established a platform that enabled the visitors to dominate for long periods. The £4.8m summer signing from the French champions, Lille, has an eye for a cutting pass and a knack for finding space to shoot from the edge of the area.

He struck one shot inches wide in the opening minutes against Villa, for whom Gabriel Agbonlahor opened the scoring in the 13th minute; then he hit another against the crossbar just before Leon Best's equaliser in the second half. He almost secured the victory that his team deserved with a third shot late on, only for Shay Given to produce a superb one‑handed save.

Cabaye scored 18 goals in his last two seasons for Lille. That led to him earning six caps for France and the Newcastle manager, Alan Pardew, is justifiably excited about the impact he is starting to make in the Premier League. Once the 5ft 9in schemer fully adapts to the physicality of the Premier League, he should be a formidable force.

"I don't want to build him up to much at this stage because he's still learning his trade," said Pardew. "There have been a couple of games this year where he's struggled – he needs to get a grip of the hurly-burly of the Premier League but if we can get him on the ball he's an outstanding player. There's no mystery why he's in the French national team. He has a gift of a pass – his vision is his real quality. He has that special intelligence. He showed that against Villa, where he and Cheik controlled the midfield, with help from Demba Ba, and that's something we didn't do very well last season."

The French winger Gabriel Obertan also impressed against Villa. With Hatem Ben Arfa scheduled to return to action in the Carling Cup tie against Nottingham Forest on Tuesday after almost a year out injured, and two other summer recruits from the French league also in line to feature in that match – the winger Sylvain Marveau and the midfielder Mehdi Abeid – there is a strong Francophone presence at Newcastle, producing signs that the club's strategy is paying off.

"It hasn't been a planned process to sign French players, it's about making sure that we've got players who fit our salary system and can take us forward," said Pardew. "That's not easy but we've worked very, very hard to get these players and they're gelling nicely."

Anyway really hope the boys can gel together and find that elusive thing that imho has served us well since our return to the Prem-the actual desire to play for this football club. I'm inclined to think well of those we've bought until there's evidence to suggest otherwise, so it'd be nice if we could show them patience, particularly the likes of Obertan.

Big week coming up and i'm going to regret saying this as when we were in this position last season, a little bit of confidence would bubble up which would immediately be burst by a couple of defeats. However, progression in the cup and victory next saturday would represent a fantastic start to the season and strong evidence that the management of first team affairs is under good stewardship. I personally reckon Pardew needs a lot of credit as whether he has any role in identifying players or not, its him thats dealt with losing Barton and Enrique and integrating the new look midfield. Challenges everywhere (loss of Jonas's best mate, how to play Tiote / Cabaye together, where the fuck are the goals coming from, the left back postion generally, new right wing play) so in a weeks time, if things go well, he should be able to take some big credit.

Lets see though, Blackburn were a bit lucky on saturday but they'll be bouncing on the back of that and Forest away is the sort of fixture we lose.

I think a lot of the moodiness/needle on here is down to the fact that people want to enjoy the start to the season but can't because of the 'bigger picture'*. I just think you've got to dissociate the two things as best you can tbh, for your own sanity as much as anything, but equally because I think the new lads deserve our backing. I do think it remains a group of players who are here with good intentions as far as performances on the pitch are concerned, and that means a lot to me personally. I do also think that there's potential formations (Barfa/Santon to come in) that can look like a decent match for most teams so that lends credence to what you say, although it isn't socially acceptable to admit that.

I think what Alex says is probably ultimately right, (about a good midfield but ultimately far too light up front, suggesting 10-12th) and that's what really fucked me off about the last window because a striker would have made a hell of a difference and there was no excuse at all not to find one, but it doesn't stop me hoping Barfa can't lift us massively as a team with his re-introduction/deployment in the support striker role.

*not that I think there should be less moodiness/needle btw, I think it's mint. :lol:

I think a lot of the moodiness/needle on here is down to the fact that people want to enjoy the start to the season but can't because of the 'bigger picture'*. I just think you've got to dissociate the two things as best you can tbh, for your own sanity as much as anything, but equally because I think the new lads deserve our backing. I do think it remains a group of players who are here with good intentions as far as performances on the pitch are concerned, and that means a lot to me personally. I do also think that there's potential formations (Barfa/Santon to come in) that can look like a decent match for most teams so that lends credence to what you say, although it isn't socially acceptable to admit that.

I think what Alex says is probably ultimately right, (about a good midfield but ultimately far too light up front, suggesting 10-12th) and that's what really fucked me off about the last window because a striker would have made a hell of a difference and there was no excuse at all not to find one, but it doesn't stop me hoping Barfa can't lift us massively as a team with his re-introduction/deployment in the support striker role.

*not that I think there should be less moodiness/needle btw, I think it's mint. :lol:

Now that CT has gone, i recognise my role in maintaing decent levesl of moodiness and needle. Identifying buttons and pressing them seems to be a characteristic i share with my 15 month old daughter. Its easy for me though, i just want us to do well in spite of our problems rather than feeling we need to resolve our problems before we can enjoy doing ok/quite well.

Now that CT has gone, i recognise my role in maintaing decent levesl of moodiness and needle. Identifying buttons and pressing them seems to be a characteristic i share with my 15 month old daughter. Its easy for me though, i just want us to do well in spite of our problems rather than feeling we need to resolve our problems before we can enjoy doing ok/quite well.

You lack his subtlety. It will come with time though, I'm sure.

Got to give credit to Graham Carr again on the evidence so far.

I found it interesting the other day when Parsnip was talking about the transfer window and he said "we put players to the board......". "We". Possibly an insignificant word, but I found it a bit more than that.

It's wonderful how things can work when you have a head scout rather than a DoF.

There's no fucking chance we'll win on Saturday. I'm heading over for it and haven't seen us get a win in about 7 years.

Soz lads.

I'll keep an eye out for a Chris Baird lookalike then. Where you sitting? It's also over 7 years since we beat Blackburn at home, shocking stat that when you think the difference in sizes of the two clubs.

Soz lads.

I'll keep an eye out for a Chris Baird lookalike then. Where you sitting? It's also over 7 years since we beat Blackburn at home, shocking stat that when you think the difference in sizes of the two clubs.

That would be a massively satisfying stat to put right on Saturday like.

Soz lads.

That would be a massively satisfying stat to put right on Saturday like.

Definitely, what is even more shocking is every game since then (6 or 7 games) we've lost, they haven't even been draws. Two years running they scored goals that were handballs.

Soz lads.

:lol: Dickhead. I'll buy you a pint if I see you.

Sir John Hall Stand-Upper-L4T-L-4

I hope they ban guns in Norway that's aal al say. Fuckin wierdo. Lock up ya dowtaz (of any age) Saltwater is about.

Barney that's where I sit you're just down to the right of me probably 30 seats away. Easier getting served there than Level 7.

A stunning performance from our new midfielder and the monday morning chat revolves around some Austrlian mentalist having a nervous breakdown and a Norwegian wrong'un posting tastless shitshops.

What a pile of shite.

Well are we not allowed to comment about what is one of the most bizarre things you'll ever see on a football message board. I don't even understand what his message is. A herce, Danny Simpson carrying a baby, and a bin with Nee Babies on it. What?!?! Truly disturbing.