Change @ St. James

Christmas Tree

I agree with Chez's point that something like, for example, The Emirates was, if anything, more of an attack on tradition that this. Arsenal also got a fuck load more out of the deal than we are getting out of this though, which is why it's more acceptable in the eyes of supporters.

Couldn't disagree more. Fair enough if it was at Highbury it was a new ground called Ashburton Grove, sounded like a road off Stanhope Street.

Aye, really respectful of tradition. The point isnt a complex one, moving a stadium for naked commercial reasons is more of an affront to the traditon and history of a club than a reversible name change. The relevance is that the media and you have argued that it's ok to move a stadium for clear commercial reasons but not to rename. As I said, I thought that was unfair and probably deliberate on the part of the media.

I call Bullshit.

Arsenal moved because they needed a bigger stadium, tradition or no tradition - it was purely about seats for bums and to argue it was about a commercial reason is rewriting history.

They moved to increase the number of people attending games but this wasn't a commercial decision? I call retard.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Chez's point that something like, for example, The Emirates was, if anything, more of an attack on tradition that this. Arsenal also got a fuck load more out of the deal than we are getting out of this though, which is why it's more acceptable in the eyes of supporters.

Couldn't disagree more. Fair enough if it was at Highbury it was a new ground called Ashburton Grove, sounded like a road off Stanhope Street.

Aye, really respectful of tradition. The point isnt a complex one, moving a stadium for naked commercial reasons is more of an affront to the traditon and history of a club than a reversible name change. The relevance is that the media and you have argued that it's ok to move a stadium for clear commercial reasons but not to rename. As I said, I thought that was unfair and probably deliberate on the part of the media.

Regarding the media being frenzied and reporting that there are wild objections two hours before they could have known is a moot point for me. It's irrelevant because it was obvious that it would get the adverse reaction, the only plausible way I can see for anyone to have another point of view is to wind people up like Adrian Durham clearly did last night.

Alex the point about them changing Highbury in to a block of flats, lets face it Arsenal should be one of the five best clubs in the world. They really should, I've said this before and it's true, if you added up all of the football fans in South East England my guess is over 40% of them would support Arsenal, every fucka supports them. They have a bigger worldwide support than all bar Man Utd, Africans love them, Asians love them, the French love them they're fucking massive. They couldn't continue at Highbury to compete at the level they had, as sad as it was for them to leave there was NO OPPOSITION. 38,000 wasn't enough for them to compete.

Don't get me wrong I'm sure you've been to Highbury loads of times the same as I have, and you will know there's a main road behind the East Stand, gardens behind the North Bank and Clock End, and behind the East End 6 bedroom Edwardian mansions. So they couldn't do anything at all. As for turning them in to flats it made them £100m and the flats actually look very stylish and the buildings are still intact.

We're not moving anywhere, we're staying in our home, just making ourselves look like Gwhat Shops at every corner. He is to Newcastle United what T Dan Smith was to Old Eldon Square. Younguns might not remember Reggie Perrin, but he was a self made millionaire, he was thick as fuck, didn't have a clue what he was doing, he was a psychopath, and he made his millions by literally selling absolute shite. Reggie Perrin is Ashley to a t, and I'm sorry like but I reject the notion of what Arsenal did being worse, for one the public accepted it, no one, apart from people trying to be clever accepts this.

Actually I've only been to Highbury once mate. I totally agree with what you're saying btw. I only went into it because you weren't really getting my point. What Arsenal did was an affront to tradition though. But for all the right reasons. This is just a blatant piss-take.

Wasn't Arsenal's decision related to commercial boxes?

edit :

"The revenue from executive boxes and Club Level alone will be almost equivalent to the [whole] income at Highbury. So we'll be getting that and the revenue from 51,000 extra people [in the stadium]."
Edited by Barney

Regarding the media being frenzied and reporting that there are wild objections two hours before they could have known is a moot point for me. It's irrelevant because it was obvious that it would get the adverse reaction, the only plausible way I can see for anyone to have another point of view is to wind people up like Adrian Durham clearly did last night.

Alex the point about them changing Highbury in to a block of flats, lets face it Arsenal should be one of the five best clubs in the world. They really should, I've said this before and it's true, if you added up all of the football fans in South East England my guess is over 40% of them would support Arsenal, every fucka supports them. They have a bigger worldwide support than all bar Man Utd, Africans love them, Asians love them, the French love them they're fucking massive. They couldn't continue at Highbury to compete at the level they had, as sad as it was for them to leave there was NO OPPOSITION. 38,000 wasn't enough for them to compete.

Don't get me wrong I'm sure you've been to Highbury loads of times the same as I have, and you will know there's a main road behind the East Stand, gardens behind the North Bank and Clock End, and behind the East End 6 bedroom Edwardian mansions. So they couldn't do anything at all. As for turning them in to flats it made them £100m and the flats actually look very stylish and the buildings are still intact.

We're not moving anywhere, we're staying in our home, just making ourselves look like Gwhat Shops at every corner. He is to Newcastle United what T Dan Smith was to Old Eldon Square. Younguns might not remember Reggie Perrin, but he was a self made millionaire, he was thick as fuck, didn't have a clue what he was doing, he was a psychopath, and he made his millions by literally selling absolute shite. Reggie Perrin is Ashley to a t, and I'm sorry like but I reject the notion of what Arsenal did being worse, for one the public accepted it, no one, apart from people trying to be clever accepts this.

Actually I've only been to Highbury once mate. I totally agree with what you're saying btw. I only went into it because you weren't really getting my point. What Arsenal did was an affront to tradition though. But for all the right reasons. This is just a blatant piss-take.

“Well, you’re not looking at the whole pie Jenny. Wernham Hogg is one big pie, and if they’ve let me in charge of that one big pie, then I’ll be in charge of the pie, and the people are the fruit”

“I don’t have time for the pie thing David.”

You could get a season ticket at Highbury in the North Bank for about £580 in 2004. When they moved to the Emirates the SHITTEST seats in the ground were £895, think they're £1100 now by the way, that's the shittest, but yeah the boxes as well, they only had the boxes above the clock end at Highbury.

T Dan Smith tore down Grainger town forever Stevie, comparing a reversible change in name to that is ridiculous.

If you can't get your head around the fact that you're wrong about Arsenal, fair enough. I lived in the area for about 8 years, before and after, drank with arsenal fans all the time. Plenty of them hated it but some accepted that they would have to give up their history if they wanted to drive revenues. It doesn't matter what the fans thought anyway, the arsenal directors called it a commercial decision as that's what it was. It's a narrow point in the broader discussion but the idea that Arsenal respected tradition and history by converting Highbury into flats is full of shit.

I call retard.

Seriously fuck you, you wanker.

Calling people retards is tantamount to being the lowest of low and you do it often.

Have you ever actually had to live with someone that is mentally disabled, no? I thought not and think yourself luck Charlotte or your other bairns aren't, cunt.

Maybe one day you actually realise the true meaning of the word retard is but I hope for your sake you don't.

Was talking to an Arsenal fan at some station in London once, off me tits, might've been Paddington, the station not the bear. His season ticket was about £300. This was about 1997 though. Top that, RobW.

Part of the reason Everton are so unnatractive to potential owners. The stadium needs redeveloping to incorporate all the executive/corporate boxes.

I amended my above post when I found the quote I was looking for :

"The revenue from executive boxes and Club Level alone will be almost equivalent to the [whole] income at Highbury. So we'll be getting that and the revenue from 51,000 extra people [in the stadium]."

T Dan Smith tore down Grainger town forever Stevie, comparing a reversible change in name to that is ridiculous.

If you can't get your head around the fact that you're wrong about Arsenal, fair enough. I lived in the area for about 8 years, before and after, drank with arsenal fans all the time. Plenty of them hated it but some accepted that they would have to give up their history if they wanted to drive revenues. It doesn't matter what the fans thought anyway, the arsenal directors called it a commercial decision as that's what it was. It's a narrow point in the broader discussion but the idea that Arsenal respected tradition and history by converting Highbury into flats is full of shit.

I couldn't be more right about Arsenal. My boss is an Arsenal season ticket holder, and it's all he talks about on a daily basis, the culture of Arsenal FC. I find the comparison ridiculous, you're talking about a complete revolution in Arsenal FC. Their turnover in 2003 was £89m it's £230m now, this is going to make what us £5m a season IF the rights are ever even fucking sold.

Well what did you want them to do with the stadium? Fucking knock it down?!?! Was a brilliant idea and I'm sure someone will correct me but that alone made them in the region of £100m to my mind. Arsenal could not continue to compete at the top level if they stayed at Highbury, it was a revolution that occurred with Arsenal, not a mere name change, if they'd have stayed at Highbury they'd be like Aston Villa are now.

I call retard.

Calling people retards is tantamount to being the lowest of low and you do it often.

Have you ever actually had to live with someone that is mentally disabled, no? I thought not and think yourself luck Charlotte or your other bairns aren't, cunt.

Maybe one day you actually realise the true meaning of the word retard is but I hope for your sake you don't.

My niece is mentally handicapped and it's probably the hardest thing our family has had to deal with. I don't believe that changes me thinking you're thick as fuck or a total prick, that last post just confirmed it.

edit :

arsenal's move was all about generating extra revenue for the club.

our move is all about generating extra revenue for sports direct.

That reply doesn't change anything Stevie, our revenue has not far from tripled in the same period but so what, you're just repeating reasons why commercial issues trump traditions and have done for years.

Anyway, am out. The balance between commercial and traditional concerns for u's is irrelevant if we don't see any commercial benefit. Saying Arsenal etc are different is bullshit. It's the modern game, money rules as has done for years.

I call retard.

My niece is mentally handicapped and it's probably the hardest thing our family has had to deal with. I don't believe that changes me thinking you're thick as fuck or a total prick, that last post just confirmed it.

I call retard.

Really? And here is you calling anyone that disagrees with you retard or spastic - you have no fucking idea.

Yeah I might be a total prick but at least I've never resorted to cheap and the lowest of low insults.

Can you say the same?

Edited by sammynb

That reply doesn't change anything Stevie, our revenue has not far from tripled in the same period but so what, you're just repeating reasons why commercial issues trump traditions and have done for years.

Anyway, am out. The balance between commercial and traditional concerns for u's is irrelevant if we don't see any commercial benefit. Saying Arsenal etc are different is bullshit. It's the modern game, money rules as has done for years.

What 2003 to now?!?! It's about the same, really it is. Was about £85m in 2003, and it'll be £90m max for 2010/2011.

God almighty there's a difference between becoming the 4th richest club on earth with GUARANTEED revenues of over £200m every year for the next 10 years, and £4m or £5m which won't even be invested in the team.

Really and here is you constantly calling people retards or spastic

I call retard.

I call retard.

Really? And here is you calling anyone that disagrees with you retard or spastic - you have no fucking idea.

Yeah I might be a total prick but at least I've never resorted to cheap and the lowest of low insults.

Can you say the same?

:lol:

This argument is like the equivalent of a Dutch auction.

"we need to bring in the money for a name change to buy a striker"

then what were we doing during the summer before any of this came up and we were supposedly in the hunt for one? what changed since then.

A valid point.