Mevlüt Erdinç

Christmas Tree

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to Mark Douglas on twitter, the identity of this new striker bid will "break" within 24 hours.

All leads still point to this man especially as Douglas notes that "developments at the mystery strikers club over the weekend.....etc"

Time for the obligatory......

Mevlut Erdinc is Alan Pardew's new transfer target

NEWCASTLE United have bid for Paris-Saint Germain striker Mevlüt Erdinç for the second time as they react quickly to the disappointment of missing out on Kevin Gameiro.

Gameiro’s decision to reject a move to United in favour of staying in France with PSG has opened up an alternative route for manager Alan Pardew in his search for new strikers, and Erdinç is his new target.

With the club’s interest in Ivory Coast international Gervinho cooling, Erdinç has moved up their wanted list, particularly as PSG will almost certainly have to sell to finance their £10m move for Gameiro.

The glamour club of Ligue 1 have qualified for the Europa League for next season – something which counted against the Magpies – but they do not really have the sort of financial muscle to keep hold of Erdinç after spending so much on another centre-forward.

Pardew said: “Erdinç has always been on our radar.

“He’s a very good player and that is all I will say at the moment.

“We had a bit of a disappointment with Kevin Gameiro as he has decided to go elsewhere. We made a fantastic offer to the club and to him but these things happen.

“We tried very hard on that one, but we always knew there would be setbacks along the way and we have always had other people in mind, deals we have been trying to keep to ourselves for obvious reasons.

“We are working extremely hard to make those deals happen and I’m pretty happy with how things have gone so far. We should have another signing finished in the next few days, and we will able to confirm that one as well.”

Newcastle first bid for Erdinç on their return to the Premier League when Chris Hughton was manager last summer, but were unable to tempt PSG to sell the France-born Turkish international. The 24-year-old, though, has been watched regularly by United scouts since then and Pardew has also liked what he has seen of the striker, who is best playing alongside a target man.

Although he is not a prolific goalscorer, with one goal in 13 appearances for Turkey, he is quick and busy and Newcastle feel his style of play is well suited to the Premier League.

Pardew would like to pair him with West Ham striker Demba Ba next season, although Newcastle know they face competition for the Senegal international.

Nevertheless, the 26-year-old is very much in their sights and Pardew will also hope to be able to confirm his arrival before the start of pre-season training in July.

He said: “Demba Ba has done very well since he came to England and he’s a good player. I’m very much aware of him and I probably know what he is capable of more than most because I’ve known about him for a while, before he went to West Ham.

“We’re not the only club who are interested, but we are trying. There is always competition and we will keep plugging away.”

The United manager will still look to sign at least another two players before the close of the window, even if Erdinç and Ba join Yohan Cabaye on Tyneside in the coming weeks.

Pardew added: “If we can get him and another two in before the end of next week I’ll still be looking for another two new faces to join us before the start of the season.

“To get a player like Yohan Cabaye in so early has been a big bonus. Not many clubs have managed that sort of business yet so I’m very happy with that.”

God I hate the transfer window.

Indeed, the amount of "spin" does my head in, "Yes we're after this player, he's our #1 target.....oh wait we've missed out on them, but the guy he's replacing at ClubX OMG what a player he's our #1 target!"

rinse repeat

that cheap backup left back, Ba on a free, HBA "like a new signing"

done for incomings.

Well, the spin isn't coming from the club.

And he started 28 matches, not 33 (in the other 5 he was only a sub)

Edited by Nick-Kielce-Poland

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/player/_/id/8...-erding?cc=5739

2010-2011

Started: 28 league matches

Scored: 8

Assists: 1

So he seems to be a jolly good striker, I'd say.

(and yes, I know that isn't proven, all the goals may have gone in off his arse, but still, a good indicator, in my opinion).

Going purely on your link, It really isn't, the bit in bold highlighting why.

010/11 French Ligue 1

GAMES 33 - GOALS 8 - ASSISTS 1 - SHOTS 78

So a couple of attempts per game is good for a striker these days is it?...worse when he can only put away 1 in 10 of them....in France

8 goals in 28 starts is excellent, even though the French leagues isn't as good as the Premiership.

Perhaps I'm a harsh judge but I'm not convinced being the joint 22nd highest goalscorer in what is probably only the 5th best league in Europe is 'excellent'.

Ant, sub appearances are on average 15 minutes long. Anyone who counts a sub appearance as equal to a normal start is a nugget.

And you are living in cloud donkey land if you think 1 in 3 is shite. We are living in an age where strikers don't score as many goals as they used to.

Ant, sub appearances are on average 15 minutes long. Anyone who counts a sub appearance as equal to a normal start is a nugget.

And you are living in cloud donkey land if you think 1 in 3 is shite. We are living in an age where strikers don't score as many goals as they used to.

21 strikers scored more than him in the same league last year you nugget :lol: I don't know much about him tbh but those stats alone do little to prove he is excellent. It's plain as day to me that the club is trying to put a positive spin on the fact PSG got the bloke we were after so we're having to do with their cast-off as a result of that deal.

Perhaps I'm a harsh judge but I'm not convinced being the joint 22nd highest goalscorer in what is probably only the 5th best league in Europe is 'excellent'.

Looking at the video CT put up he reminds me of Jonathan Walters :lol: If these are the best goals he's ever scored - dear me. PSG paid £7m for him 22 goals in 53 games isn't too bad, but it's the french league, and the lack of interest in him from other clubs is telling. Sounds like this will be a Pardew buy rather than a Graham Carr buy, same with Ba. The only Turkish striker who has ever really been successful outside his home country is Nihat.

Is apparently our next big striker target at PSG.

Anyone know what he's like?

I'm sure he's world class and you'll be creaming your knicks as soon as somebody shows him on youtube.

Edited by LeazesMag

Looking at the video CT put up he reminds me of Jonathan Walters :lol: If these are the best goals he's ever scored - dear me. PSG paid £7m for him 22 goals in 53 games isn't too bad, but it's the french league, and the lack of interest in him from other clubs is telling. Sounds like this will be a Pardew buy rather than a Graham Carr buy, same with Ba. The only Turkish striker who has ever really been successful outside his home country is Nihat.

According to the local Journos, Carrs being following him for 12 months and recommended we buy him last summer. (We tried, but offer turned down then apparently).