Mevlüt Erdinç

Christmas Tree

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps I'm a harsh judge but I'm not convinced being the joint 22nd highest goalscorer in what is probably only the 5th best league in Europe is 'excellent'.

Looking at the video CT put up he reminds me of Jonathan Walters :lol: If these are the best goals he's ever scored - dear me. PSG paid £7m for him 22 goals in 53 games isn't too bad, but it's the french league, and the lack of interest in him from other clubs is telling. Sounds like this will be a Pardew buy rather than a Graham Carr buy, same with Ba. The only Turkish striker who has ever really been successful outside his home country is Nihat.

According to the local Journos, Carrs being following him for 12 months and recommended we buy him last summer. (We tried, but offer turned down then apparently).

:lol: Wouldn't that mean that Carr had therefore recommended buying him before he'd even had a look at him? Someone's talking shit.

What about that Moussa Sow, 25 goals in 35 games shows he has something. I've seen him he's like shit off a stick, we should have a go. We're settling for third and fourth best with this striker, when we can clearly attract the players just outside of the top echelon imo, demonstrated with signing two young French internationals, and a third CNZ interested in returning.

I don't care about nationalities neither, it's not fuckin Waterloo it's 2011, if we had eleven frenchman, with Sarkozy as manager I just wouldn't care, as long as we were good. I don't care if we never produce a top class geordie again, we just are at a crucial stage in our history we either attempt to hang on to the coat tales of the likes of Tottenham, or we're destined to be a Villa/WBA/West Ham non-entity for all eternity.

What about that Moussa Sow, 25 goals in 35 games shows he has something. I've seen him he's like shit off a stick, we should have a go. We're settling for third and fourth best with this striker, when we can clearly attract the players just outside of the top echelon imo, demonstrated with signing two young French internationals, and a third CNZ interested in returning.

I don't care about nationalities neither, it's not fuckin Waterloo it's 2011, if we had eleven frenchman, with Sarkozy as manager I just wouldn't care, as long as we were good. I don't care if we never produce a top class geordie again, we just are at a crucial stage in our history we either attempt to hang on to the coat tales of the likes of Tottenham, or we're destined to be a Villa/WBA/West Ham non-entity for all eternity.

Not everyone agrees with that.

And I suppose you aren't one of those people who think everyone who disagrees with you is an idiot?

Depends on the price as to whether we should be interested. With his replacement already there the scent of a bargain is no doubt in the nostrils of Ashley.

Perhaps I'm a harsh judge but I'm not convinced being the joint 22nd highest goalscorer in what is probably only the 5th best league in Europe is 'excellent'.

Looking at the video CT put up he reminds me of Jonathan Walters :lol: If these are the best goals he's ever scored - dear me. PSG paid £7m for him 22 goals in 53 games isn't too bad, but it's the french league, and the lack of interest in him from other clubs is telling. Sounds like this will be a Pardew buy rather than a Graham Carr buy, same with Ba. The only Turkish striker who has ever really been successful outside his home country is Nihat.

According to the local Journos, Carrs being following him for 12 months and recommended we buy him last summer. (We tried, but offer turned down then apparently).

:lol: Wouldn't that mean that Carr had therefore recommended buying him before he'd even had a look at him? Someone's talking shit.

Carr had probably been watching him long before Carr joined NUFC as he did with Tiote.

Carr had probably been watching him long before Carr joined NUFC as he did with Tiote.

Just saying the journos are talking shit / their dates don't make sense. Assuming you got the details right. Since Carr's been here more than 12 months. That's by the by though, I was taking the piss.

Not that I believe the gist of the story for a second anyway. Funny how we only bid for him after PSG bought are alleged initial target then, eh? Now we're supposed to believe we went in for him last summer too but it's never been mentioned until now. Give over.

Edited by alex

Not the sort of player id pay a fee for. A slightly better Ameobi/Best. Should get Ba on a free instead and get someone tricksy/small/pacy in next to him. We have enough average targetmen.

Just saying the journos are talking shit / their dates don't make sense. Assuming you got the details right. Since Carr's been here more than 12 months. That's by the by though, I was taking the piss.

Not that I believe the gist of the story for a second anyway. Funny how we only bid for him after PSG bought are alleged initial target then, eh? Now we're supposed to believe we went in for him last summer too but it's never been mentioned until now. Give over.

Not sure whats funny about that. I would have thought Carr would have a list of 5 or 6 strikers drawn up in case our 1st, 2nd 3rd choice etc said no.

Not the sort of player id pay a fee for. A slightly better Ameobi/Best. Should get Ba on a free instead and get someone tricksy/small/pacy in next to him. We have enough average targetmen.

Isnt that what the club think they are doing here and see Erding as the small / pacy player?

Isnt that what the club think they are doing here and see Erding as the small / pacy player?

He's 5' 11''.

Not sure whats funny about that. I would have thought Carr would have a list of 5 or 6 strikers drawn up in case our 1st, 2nd 3rd choice etc said no.

It helps if you read that sentence within the context of the post tbh.

Shouldnt be such a cynic Alex :lol:

From the Mirror June 2010

Newcastle have had a bid turned down for Paris St Germain forward Mevlut Erding, according to reports in France.

The Magpies were believed to have made an offer in the region of £5m for the striker who hit an impressive 19 goals last season for the French side.

Erding, voted PSG's payer of the season last term, has represented the Turkish national team 10 times and at 23-years-old is seen as a hot prospect for the future.

Newcastle's transfer budget has been widely reported as being limited, but the move shows Chris Hughton's intent to find a partner for Andy Carroll as his side returns to the Premiership next season.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Newca...l#ixzz1PF3i2Vyu

Shouldnt be such a cynic Alex :lol:

From the Mirror June 2010

Newcastle have had a bid turned down for Paris St Germain forward Mevlut Erding, according to reports in France.

The Magpies were believed to have made an offer in the region of £5m for the striker who hit an impressive 19 goals last season for the French side.

Erding, voted PSG's payer of the season last term, has represented the Turkish national team 10 times and at 23-years-old is seen as a hot prospect for the future.

Newcastle's transfer budget has been widely reported as being limited, but the move shows Chris Hughton's intent to find a partner for Andy Carroll as his side returns to the Premiership next season.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Newca...l#ixzz1PF3i2Vyu

Fair enough. Must be true then :lol:

If we only offered 5M then we surely will be offering less now after he had a less impressive season and has already in effect been replaced. Spending under 5 should in theory leave plenty for a higher calibre striker partner.

Mail Online 01/07/10

"Mevlut Erdinc does not want to leave Paris St Germain despite interest from Newcastle.

The Magpies are reported to have bid £5million for the 23-year-old Turkey striker but PSG are holding out for closer to £8m.

Erdinc scored 15 goals in 31 appearances in the French top flight after arriving from Sochaux for £7.5m last summer and has three years left on his contract."

I thought I remembered this. He had a big first year at PSG after a couple of good ones at Sochaux. Not as impressive in the one just gone but he has been on a couple of PL clubs radar for a while I believe.

Edited by StevieRoss

I know very little about the lad but what I do know is one season is tough to judge him on. Twice in his newcastle career alone shearer finshed with 7 goals in 23 appearances. So 8 in 28 doesn't look so bad. I know it is france etc but looking at erdings total for all clubs it is 155 apps and 53 goals which is one every 2.92 games. Also, strikers become more prolific as they get a little older, he is still young and placed with the right partner I wouldn't rule him out just yet, however, on the other hand I wouldn't want to be spending much more than £8m on him for those figures but he could turn out fairly decent

Sow is certainly the level of player we should be looking at, but I don't think Lille would sell him or Hazard.

Edited by Phil

What's his goals record like for Turkey? Or does he even get in their team?

I've heard of him for the past couple years he gets linked with quite a few clubs, but either it's bull journalism or no one fancies taking the risk

I'm sure i seen before that PSG bought him for 9 Million Euro's so i'd imagine they'd want to recoup all/most of that and they know we were willing to pay double figures for Gameiro, so i wouldnt expect a cheapy deal to be done