Sturridge on loan?

Craig

Not the best source in the world but the Chelsea fans at work seem to have heard strong rumours and think it'll happen.....

Newcastle United Plan Move For Chelsea Youngster as Board Look to Youth

Newcastle United will this summer look to make a move for Chelsea youngster Daniel Sturridge as the club’s board continue to look to plan for the future. Alan Pardew has been promised funds, albeit limited, to help improve the St James’ Park squad and the Magpies will test the water with a move for the England Under 21 international.

Having lost Kevin Nolan to West Ham the club source has stated that the club will not look to offer long term deals to players nearing, or already in, their 30s and this was one of the reasons they opted to allow their club captain to move to Upton Park.

Chairman Derek Llambias and owner Mike Ashley have seemingly angered a large section of the club’s support having thus far not invested much of the £35m banked from the sale of striker Andy Carroll to Liverpool and though the signings of Yohan Cabaye, Sylvain Marveaux and Demba Ba have shown intent, the fact that all three additions arrived on free transfers has irked many of the Toon Army faithful.

Newcastle United will look to lure youngster Daniel Sturridge with the promise of regular first team football, something the 21 year old former Man City man may crave after his successful stint on loan at Bolton last term, during which time he netted an impressive eight goals in 11 Premier League starts. The Birmingham born starlet is currently fourth choice starter at Stamford Bridge with the likes of Didier Drogba, Fernando Torres and Nicolas Anelka all ahead of him in the Blues pecking order.

Whilst Newcastle United are initially looking to bring Sturridge in on a season long loan deal they may also be open to purchasing the player outright if the West London club opts to cash in on the striker, although a lot could depend on when a new manager is named to replace the outgoing Carlo Ancelotti.

Source: http://www.caughtoffside.com/2011/06/19/ne...-look-to-youth/

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the signings of Yohan Cabaye, Sylvain Marveaux and Demba Ba have shown intent, the fact that all three additions arrived on free transfers

urgh.

I'd love to see Sturridge here.

Loan with an option to purchase at a fixed price would be a great deal.

Aye, best of both worlds. Dunno how realistic though.

Think this is where we might struggle under our self-imposed spending constraints. Theres always a premium on strikers (who are in contract anyway) and other clubs will know we've i) got a horrifically flimsy forward line and ii) perceive that we've got £35 million knocking about. Not that that sort of pressure will result in Ashley spend over the odds, but I think it will see a few potential striker transactions fail at the final hurdle when it becomes clear to the selling club that he actually won't give them the balloon payment they'll be expecting.

I would imagine he's on a fortune at present which I can't see us matching so a year long loan is about the best outcome I can realistically see happening.

No way in god's green earth they're going to sell him though.

Am I right in thinking he left Man City for more money?

That was I believe the story at the time, more money and happy to sit on the bench.

I thought he was from Coventry

Normally I would agree, however the Villas-Boas saga might just end up with them getting Falcao/Hulk/aguero/Random spending spree. In that case, Sturridge might well suddenly find himself the umpth choice. By that reasoning, I think there is a genuine chance to sign him. If they dont sign any strikers though, it will not happen ( other than possibly a loan)

Edited by Saltwater

Caught offside :icon_lol:

Delicious irony coming from you. :icon_lol: Well done for overlooking what I said about this source and what's been discussed by the Chelsea fans elsewhere....

Aye.

But given Torres's crap form I'd be surprised if they sold him now - particuarly how well he played at Bolton last season.

That was I believe the story at the time, more money and happy to sit on the bench.

He was a youth at City though (albeit having emerged into their first team). He wouldn't have been one of their top earners I can't imagine.

Well he hasn't even scored a goal for them yet. Personally I'm against it, unless we can make it permanent. If he does shite, we'll probably be allowed to purchase him, if he does well and gets 20 goals he'll be in their first team in 14 months and we're back to square one. If all of this is a long term plan, and I'm not against long term plans then losing the best striker in 12 months is a waste of time, and completely contradicts what they are trying to achieve (on the face of it).

I thought he was from Coventry

He went to Man City from Coventry I think.

He was a youth at City though (albeit having emerged into their first team). He wouldn't have been one of their top earners I can't imagine.

I would imagine his next deal would've been decent though.

He was very clear on wanting a permanent deal if his chances were going to be limited so I'd say it would be worth waiting to see if the new manager wants new people or wants him first.

I would imagine his next deal would've been decent though.

Aye it would no doubt about that, daft money whether he stayed or went. He wasn't a Manc though (I think he's Brummie) so I assumed he just went to London because he thought it was better than Manchester.

the only problem with this is our board. if we agreee a price of £10 m now to pay at the end of the season I have no doubt they will count that £10m in this transfer window and the next year when they actually have to pay it they will count it again!

He's on 60k apparently at Chelsea

So if he came he'd probably want equal/better wages, something the board wont be willing to give

However a loan move would probably be more suitable for both clubs, as we'd probably split the wages and Chelsea would get a first team player back in 12 months to replace the older Drogba