The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Brock Manson

• Replies 376
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's actually on my (ridiculously long) list of games to finish/start. Spent a while playing that, got about level 18 without seeing more than 1/4 of it. Just seemed to wander round shooting people in the face. But only ever used guns in it, guess my tired brain just can't manage to get round first person swords (as this is the only way I know how to play swordy/magicy type rpgs). Seriously, first person swords?! I can kinda understand the magic (thinking bit like Bioshock?). Guessing then that you don't have feats a la Neverwinter Nights and you don't just click on bad guy and let your character beat them into a bloody pulp then.

(I'm a bit tired, so I know that this post is probably garbage)

Ok, becoming a Werewolf makes you NAILS. Pick a companion that isn't an Archer, run into a room full of radgies, become the werewolf and just have the two of you belt the shit out of everyone until they fall down. My one hand skill is fiying through the roof so I'm basically rock hard otherwise but the werewolf is a nice treat.

A giant hit my other companion and she went flying across the map but I don't think she's the one that can die so she's probably unconscious in a river somewhere.

My plan is to head over to Winterhold tonight and spend my time doing the quests for the Mage's guild so that I get the Archmage robes and then look out for the dragons mask which should mean my Maga regenerates stupidly fast.

Must admit that I am gutted not to be using the various weapons/armour that are around, but there I can always play through the game again if I wanted to!

Just wandering along on my way to a quest for the Mage's guild and stumble across a dragon. I don't have a chance in hell of defeating the thing so I start to leg it...straight into a pack of wolves. They are easily dispatched but then the dragon is still after me. I perch on some ledge and the dragon comes down straight onto a giant, who proceeds to take out the dragon in a matter of hits. I nip in, take all the good shit from the dragon and claim the glory, then about to make my merry way hen the giant decides he too has a problem with me.

Luckily speed isn't his thing, so I'm there zapping him then running until I finally take him down. Phew! Hectic, but a good all round result!

When should I be able to take out dragons with relative ease? I think I am level five right now and that dragon was quite the challenge..

Edited by Nyff

dragons are more about strategy than out and out power cause they do actually level, I see very few regular dragons now its more blood dragons or frost dragons

use your shouts on them, unrelenting force or fire breath work well and just keep moving, if you're in trouble try and pull them towards a town to get the guards involved

I'll generally use a bow on them for a bit and then once theyre getting about half down switch to sword/magic combo and get stuck in

Yeah, managed to take down a dragon myself. Fairly straight forward - just some up a flame woman and she takes the attention away whilst I bow and arrow him or hit him with some magic. The path I am taking looks like I will be using the destruction and conjuration magic to inflict pain and distract attention from me, and then levelling up archery to inflict more damage when possible.

Trying to work through the college of Winterhold quests so that I get arch-mage status and get my hands on the arch-mage robes. Them, along with the dragon mask I should pick up along the way, should make me a fairly powerful mage who shouldn't need to turn to anything else too much.

remember (or find out) that if you are sneaking and undetected your bow will do double damage while you are unseen so if you get the first attack in you can do big damage and get a good start

Yeah, I did that when fighting some magician guy who just wouldn't die. Was the guy in front of one of the dragon shouts...voice throwing or something? Eventually just drew him far away enough to run in, get the shout, then get straight out of there again.

Yeah, I did that when fighting some magician guy who just wouldn't die. Was the guy in front of one of the dragon shouts...voice throwing or something? Eventually just drew him far away enough to run in, get the shout, then get straight out of there again.

the dragon priests? they kind of float around?

theyre nails, I used my invincible horse as a body guard when I killed the only one of them I could find, kept it between me and him and loaded him with arrows

good fun

Yeah, sounds like him. I was hoping the dragon that sometimes sits there would help out but he didn't and I was just running from more people! Is it worth going to talk to the Stormcloak people? What benefits do they give you?

Found before that I got to a point after one of the missions where I just couldn't be bothered with them. Normally in a game this would mean switching it off and going and doing something else, but instead I found myself going off to pawn some of the goods I had and doing a bit of exploring. The amount the game engrosses you in it is absolutely unreal.

dragons and dragon priests dont attack each other at all (the clues in the name)

but the loot you get from them is ace and they also give you full three word shouts

I just killed a dragon and absorbed a soul but didn't unlock a new shout that I could use. And i'm pretty sure i've just found the same shout twice? Anyone know what the crack is?

Edited by Inglez

you dont get shouts by killing dragons you get souls, you get shouts at walls

and each shout has three levels so have you found the second word in a shout you have?

you dont get shouts by killing dragons you get souls, you get shouts at walls

and each shout has three levels so have you found the second word in a shout you have?

Aye, one which freezes people I think.

EDIT: The companion I had was a trooper, would kill loads with his staff but unfortunatly died after taking alot of punishment. Gonna head back to whiterun and get that housecarl bitch with me.

Edited by Inglez

Really? Must have caught him with a stray spell. Aye he was never off the floor the poor bastard. Thought some Draugh Overlord had wiped him out. Oh well he had a mint staff I wanted anyways.

Not had any mental 12 hour sessions with this as I did with Oblivion. Don't know if it's age or interest level or what but I've done 14/15 hours so far but in little chunks. Just been ploughing through Dark Brotherhood anyway. Punched the bride in the back of the head with a sneak attack and killed her which was nice and a gentle reminder to the rest of Skyrim that when I put a boxing clinic on, nobody gets out alive.

Ran around naked to see the reactions but so far, Skyrim loses out to Saint's Row 2 in the NPC reaction to streaking sadly.

Went into a random house while the homeowner was asleep and moved everything I could in his bedroom into his living room and then I'm going to go back in a few days and see if he's shifted it all back.