Modibo Maiga

DragonFilet

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11678_7249445,00.html

Modibo Maiga is concentrating on performing as well as he can for Sochaux as reports in France claim the striker is to join Newcastle when the transfer window opens.

The 25-year-old, who scored 15 goals for the French club last season, has previously stated that he wants a move to the Premier League and refused to train earlier in the campaign when a move to St James' Park appeared to have collapsed.

Maiga, from Mali, is under contract until 2014 at Stade Bonal but talks between the two clubs are believed to have continued and a transfer appears to be in the pipeline.

The forward, who will reportedly sign a four-and-a-half-year deal with the Magpies, told skysports.com: "I am 25-years-old so I know what is good for me, at the moment I am doing and honoring my contract with Sochaux.

"I have played six games and scored four times, so I am doing my part.

"If I am ambitious I am not going to finish my career at Sochaux, but I have a contract until June 2014."

Not sure why they're going on about him being 25 - he's just turned 24.

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If he can maintain his current level of performance/strikerate it will be tough ask for Ashley & Llambarse to play 'hardball' in negotiations, and get Maiga (still under contract for a while yet) for this reported 7m figure.

Sochaux would be mad to prematurely agree to such a deal. There's plenty of time, until the opening of the window, for other suitors to pop up over the course of the season. As was the case with our other notable & long-term target ie. Gervinho. A good sized striker, with pace & strength: it's hard to imagine there won't be other clubs putting out their feelers, particularly if the form-line continues.

Drogba was another late-bloomer.

I see the Journal reckon we're also interested in Luuk de Jong, Cisse and Sow as well as Maiga.

I imagine Maiga would be the cheapest of the four - I hope that's not the reason why we go for him (if we go for him).

To be fair Twente will want a lot for de Jong since they sold his strike partner in the summer, Cisse is 27 and will probably spark a bidding war, whilst all the top clubs in the continent have their eye on Sow.

I see the Journal reckon we're also interested in Luuk de Jong, Cisse and Sow as well as Maiga.

I imagine Maiga would be the cheapest of the four - I hope that's not the reason why we go for him (if we go for him).

To be fair Twente will want a lot for de Jong since they sold his strike partner in the summer, Cisse is 27 and will probably spark a bidding war, whilst all the top clubs in the continent have their eye on Sow.

I personally hope we go for Cisse, his goalscoring records phenomenal

I'd imagine Carr has been watching these potential striking options closely so I'll actually be willing to trust whoever is signed in Jam to be the right player for the club.

Maiga seemed to want to come to us in the summer...

NEWCASTLE United are determined to get their business done sooner rather than later in the January transfer window.

And sources in France have indicated to the Chronicle that Sochaux star Modibo Maiga is the hot favourite to be the first new face through the door in the New Year.

It is clear that the 24-year-old Mali international wants to be pulling on a black-and-white shirt in 2012.

The addition of Maiga would be a massive boost for Newcastle fans who have seen their side miss out in previous transfer windows.

It is also believed that the Magpies will look to bolster their defensive ranks, with cover needed at the heart of defence and in the full-back area – with PSV Eindhoven defender Erik Pieters still on the Toon’s radar.

United officials have been overwhelmed by the success of their season ticket offer this week, with the club having to call in extra staff to cope with demand, and the home showdown with Everton on November 5 looks set to attract the highest crowd of the season by some margin.

And the Magpies being dumped out of the Carling Cup this week didn’t stop 7,000 eager fans attending yesterday’s open training session at St James’.

Also in attendance were two of the men who will be key to securing the new year arrivals – chief scout Graham Carr and secretary Lee Charnley.

When approached by the Chronicle about whether the Maiga transfer is set to go through in early January, United declined to comment on the situation.

But Maiga has his heart set on the move and last August went on strike in order to push a deal through, a ploy that failed to land him the transfer of his dreams.

Yet this has not affected his form in Ligue 1 with four goals and two assists in his seven matches so far this season for Sochaux.

Understandably, Pardew does not talk to the media about transfer targets.

However, he was overwhelmed by the support at the club’s training day, and told the Chronicle: “It’s a very important for us to make sure our players bond with the fans and the club.

"It can help us keep them. It was amazing. It goes to show what I said on the pitch – we’ve got the best fans in the world.

“We appreciate that. They were brilliant the other night as well.

“It was nice to say thank you in a small way to the kids on half-term, and anybody else who could make it.

“I don’t think our players will ever play for another club where they get that response on an open day.”

As revealed last night, United will recall broken nose victim Steven Taylor for the trip to Stoke City on Monday night with the defender trying out a protective mask at St James’ Park yesterday.

With United players still recovering from the rigours of extra time at Blackburn, Pardew added: “We had a short session. They put real effort in on Wednesday night.

“I think it was nice for the fans to see their heroes up close, and us doing what we do every day, which is something they don’t see

Normally.

NEWCASTLE United have moved to make Modibo Maiga their first January signing – and there could be a couple more in during the window as Mike Ashley flexes his financial muscles.

The Sunday Sun understands that United have agreed a fee in the region of around £6million for Maiga and have verbally agreed terms with the Mali international.

A United delegation was in Paris a fortnight ago to speed up the deal, which is dependant on a medical.

And while Newcastle will not confirm the signing yet – they are still too wary of rival offers for the striker to publicly reveal their hand – all the pieces are in place to land a long-term target.

At just 24, United are not signing the finished article.

He is tall at over 6ft but is wiry and quick – along with being left-footed, which fills another criteria.

A four-and-a-half-year deal will triple his current wages but still fit comfortably in United’s new financial reality.

The Sunday Sun understands Alan Pardew will travel to Sochaux to watch him in the coming weeks and work out how he would integrate into the side.

And United are now looking at other targets too, with a central defender and a central midfielder wanted.

They have compiled a hit list of SIX players who are out of contract at the end of the season and enquiries are being made.

It is also a sign that they are braced for interest in Cheick Tiote and Fabricio Coloccini – although United would not sell either unless mega money offers come in.

is this old or what the only way collocini and tiote would be gone is if some stupid amount was offered for both of something like 80 million

Edited by DEADMAN