Modibo Maiga

DragonFilet

We suddenly direly need a centre back, supposed done deal for a striker hits the rocks

theres a shock "sign two players??? wise up " - MA

Aye. Have to say I wasn't really ever convinced by the sound of this lad, but I was pleased that we were set to get someone in.

Perhaps someone upstairs finally wised up and realised we're going to need a non-African striker in January, or, as is more likely, Fat Mike's pulled the plug because "the money" is needed somewhere else (never mind the transfer profit he has made and continues to make.)

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think he's just failed his medical. The selling club will ask for the report. It's not like you can just make up something and write it on there in doctors scribble. :lol:

There's apparently a list of strikers anyway. Non African will be better.

Edited by Park Life

Think he's just failed his medical. The selling club will ask for the report. It's not like you can just make up something and write it on there in doctors scribble. :lol:

Strangely optimistic and lacking in conspiracy theories for a Parky post. Are you feeling alright?

Strangely optimistic and lacking in conspiracy theories for a Parky post. Are you feeling alright?

My thoughts on Giroud...

He's been out injured for a while anyway hasn't he?

I wonder if he failed for that injury or if it's something new they've uncovered? I would have preferred a non African so they are available while Ba is away however if they think he's the right man then I don't have a problem with it, I'd rather they look at what he can offer over 5 years and not how we're going to cope if they're missing for 5 games.

Since I've never seen him play and had never heard of him until we were linked in the summer, I'd be lying if I said I was gutted about this falling through. However I am definitely concerned given that it's taken us this long to sort out which striker we wanted to sign, that there's no chance of us finding our next target by the end of next month. It seems that around 12 months is our target timescale!

If we fail to sign a striker this window, there is just no point arguing that the current regime gives a toss about fotball.

I wouldnt even allow them to make an excuse, it would just further aggravate me.

Im quite sure we will sign a striker, they just wouldnt give Leazesmag the pleasure of carpet bombing the forums with Itoldyouso`s by signing absolutely fucking nobody.

Cant help but think our pressing need for a centre half has meant our plans for a forward have been put on hold. Plus with Ba doing so well, they likely think they can make do without. No idea what happens when Ba goes to the ACN. Well, I do, Shola happens.

That's it exactly. Ba passed, Marveaux passed and Cabaye passed amongst the concerns of other clubs with regards to their fitness. Yet Maiga fails. Very strange.

Ba and Marveaux were free transfers, don't forget. I'm not aware of Cabaye having any previous major fitness issues.

If there's an issue with the guy, and the club were planning on spending money on him then fair play to them for calling it off. After Marveaux in particular, perhaps they just don't want to take another risk. Also - I imagine our medical facilities are better than Sochaux's. Reports suggest we even sought a second opinion, one that backed up the original findings.

Astounds me that people think it's fake. There's cynicism and then there's delusion. Personally I was never fully convinced by this guy. As long as we get a striker in regardless, I'm not that bothered. I'll get angry about it if it doesn't happen, not before we know anything like some people.

I'm not that arsed about him "failing" maybe we have dodged a bullet, who knows. As you say, the only time I'll really spit my dummy out is if we do not sign a forward at all and then they bring this up as an excuse.

My worry is we've obviously invested a lot of negotiation and time into bringing this deal in before the January window. Now that it seems Maiga is no longer a certain signing, have we really got any alternatives lined up?

I don't think we do.

I find it hard to believe he's failed a medical that marveaux and ba with their knees could pass.

you can say but they were free transfers, but it's the same medical and they're not free, if someones got a problem that makes them fail a medical you don't go "fuck it sure it's only costing us a million in agent fees and a 30k a week fire away"

the cynical shite in me makes me think our need to bring in at least a defender they hadn't planned on means they'll either not bother with a striker and have killed this deal off with the "medical" or they'll now try to bring in a freebie cover type striker.

We don't know why he failed it do we? Might be a heart problem or something.

Marveaux had a groin injury and Ba is supposed to have dodgy knees. Maiga's issue might be something more complex.

Oh right, so I was mistaken and the second opinion/independent advisor actually stated that he's fit and healthy. The club apparently decided to stick with what their own doctors said.

Bit strange after all.

I'm actually with you, I was replying to Ant's post!

Would RVP fail a medical at City based on his poor injury record? You can look at the fact he's struggled to complete a full season over the course of his career and assume he might get injured again, but it doesn't guarantee it'll happen.

Ant thinks Ba's knees will pop because Marveaux is currently injured, even though the medical staff of Stoke, West Ham AND NUFC declare him fit to play at this level.

The fact that the medical team are seeking a second opinion to make doubly sure this player isn't going to be a worthwhile investment is actually quite reassuring they aren't just declaring players fit because they're free transfers or not!

While it would definitely be illegal to fiddle with the details, I would say that perhaps Ba/Marveaux didn't strictly 'pass' the medical but were passed because of the fees involved and the amount of time that was available to the club.

Perhaps its a bit cynical to suggest the club is using the medical as an excuse to pull out of the deal for Maiga. But I'm not so sure it couldn't be done in a way that would be air tight from a legal standpoint.

Edited by toonotl