Aston Villa v NUFC - Sat 17th September 3PM

Tooj

There was a period in the game when it just turned into both teams hoofing the ball up the field, and unsurprisingly we got nothing from it. I mean, we obviously have a physical presence up front with the strikers we have, but when you have a combination of two of them up front then it really doesn't do a lot for us - especially with the new players we have brought in.

Fair enough hoofing it up field so that one of them can knock it down to a Frenchy, but we do only need one of them to aim for. We played much better with the ball on the ground today, and that team with just Ba up front and Ben Arfa playing off him (or even Sammy Am, who looks better with each game) is an exciting prospect. Surely Pardew must now see that Shola is a waste of space? Except vs. the Mackems, of course..

We played some cracking football today, Villa were chasing shadows for long spells.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a period in the game when it just turned into both teams hoofing the ball up the field, and unsurprisingly we got nothing from it. I mean, we obviously have a physical presence up front with the strikers we have, but when you have a combination of two of them up front then it really doesn't do a lot for us - especially with the new players we have brought in.

Fair enough hoofing it up field so that one of them can knock it down to a Frenchy, but we do only need one of them to aim for. We played much better with the ball on the ground today, and that team with just Ba up front and Ben Arfa playing off him (or even Sammy Am, who looks better with each game) is an exciting prospect. Surely Pardew must now see that Shola is a waste of space? Except vs. the Mackems, of course..

We played some cracking football today, Villa were chasing shadows for long spells.

We were far from perfect today but the whole philosophy put forward by Pardew was massively different. I don't know what he was playing against QPR, maybe he underestimated them?

Well deserved point.

Would have been 3 had it not been for Given.

Played very much better than at QPR.

Bah! looked half decent and deserves another start.

Obertan crosses in for the most part were awful.

Tiote was a little better but still keeps giving the ball away.

Cabaye was very good and had hard luck with his shots.

Saylor was steady but is still Bramblesque on occasion.

Colo was steady and can't really be faulted for the goal.

Wilson did OK, so did Simpson.

Best scored but that's about all he did.

Raylor, well he's not a left back and his free-kicks are now needing help.

Stroller was his usual useless self.

Marveau should be given more time on the pitch.

Pardoo shouldn't have waited so long to put Sammy on.

I was encouraged by todays match, we played alot more football, with Krul frequently rolling the ball out to the defence so we could play the ball forward rather than hoof it. Tiote for me was much more like last season, winning the ball and passing it tidily apart from a couple of wayward ones, Cabaye clearly shone and can strike the ball from anywhere.

Centrebacks continued their good form, obviously Colo would be annoyed with the goal and Taylor did his regulation one moment where he tries something he shouldn't but they're forming quite a partnership. The fullbacks also had a better day than against QPR as Raylor was taken apart in that game.

Wingers were frustrating as usual, Obertan showed some decent touch at times and did the odd good thing, then would look clueless again next time, and Jonas struggled badly for end product apart from one cross whipped in.

Ba is starting to get up to speed, it was going to take time and Best scores again, and doesn't finish a match again! I like the look of Marveaux, seems an intelligent footballer to me and played a lovely ball over for Cabaye near the end.

Comfortably the best we've played all season mainlin(I think) due to Caybaye and Tiote although I thought Simpson, Squidward and Ba were a lot better than they have been.

What game was that cunt Le Tissier watching? We were camped in their half for nearly the whole game! Admittedly they possibly had better chances but Krul didn't need to make many saves and their goal had a reasonable slice if fortune with the way it landed to Agbonglahor.

Reasons to be cheerful for the first time this season down to our performance.

Would've taken a point before the game. To be 4th is very encouraging despite overall poor performances.

If we can keep nicking points like this and then strengthen in January we won't worry about looking over our shoulders at the lower half of the table.

Not sure where Parky got the 4 for Tiote, but he had a very good game. A couple of stray passes that go totally against last seasons form, but everything went through him. He must have had more touches that a catholic school boy out there.

Krul was very good. Good distribution, long and short. Getting used to being no 1.

Wilson had a bad early few minutes from Zog and Agbonlahor, but settled as the game went on.

Cabaye was very good. His shooting technique is superb.

Ba was impressive when dropping deep. Getting up to speed and another hour V Forest will help.

Marveaux and Sammi were great introductions both deserve a start V Forest.

Shola is obviously injured or disinterested.

Not too concerned about Obertan, he's a handful for defenders and a run of games will hopefully help.

Villa aren't a top half team on that showing, not sure on us.

Zoggy hasn't changed at all.

Also, while you'll always be happy with a point away from home, especially after going down a goal; I hope we don't regret putting away one of those chances for the extra 2 points.

Pardew and the players probably did the smart thing by not going to gung-ho late on and powering forward.

Pardew putting Marveaux on for Ba Was a superb substitution. Added another body to a fading midfield and a bit more creative guile.

Well, we're using one Ameobi as a striker and one as a winger. I agree about Shola not warranting being on the pitch though. Rapey probably wanted a physical presence to try and keep Dunne and the ginger lad busy.

Guest Your Name Here
Comfortably the best we've played all season mainlin(I think) due to Caybaye and Tiote although I thought Simpson, Squidward and Ba were a lot better than they have been.

What game was that cunt Le Tissier watching? We were camped in their half for nearly the whole game! Admittedly they possibly had better chances but Krul didn't need to make many saves and their goal had a reasonable slice if fortune with the way it landed to Agbonglahor.

Reasons to be cheerful for the first time this season down to our performance.

By some way. Can’t work out of we pressed well or if Villa’s passing was woeful because it just was, probably a bit of both. Cabaye showed more but I still think he’s yet to match his hype.

We really would benefit from some alternatives up front. Replacing a big lad with a big lad isn’t much of a choice. Somebody who was good on the floor would probably bring more out the midfield.

Encouraging but far from definitive.

Not sure where Parky got the 4 for Tiote, but he had a very good game. A couple of stray passes that go totally against last seasons form, but everything went through him. He must have had more touches that a catholic school boy out there.

Krul was very good. Good distribution, long and short. Getting used to being no 1.

Wilson had a bad early few minutes from Zog and Agbonlahor, but settled as the game went on.

Cabaye was very good. His shooting technique is superb.

Ba was impressive when dropping deep. Getting up to speed and another hour V Forest will help.

Marveaux and Sammi were great introductions both deserve a start V Forest.

Shola is obviously injured or disinterested.

Not too concerned about Obertan, he's a handful for defenders and a run of games will hopefully help.

Villa aren't a top half team on that showing, not sure on us.

Zoggy hasn't changed at all.

I've changed it.

If we can keep Ba and Cabaye fit and Bafra starts playing again...At least we've got a base in games from which to create chances.

Edited by Park Life

Interesting day, the QPR result making a mockery of some posts on here after that match and if the performance was as good as I am reading, could mean a re-think for some of the broader points about the level of quality in the side. I see Best is one quarter of the way to being considered a premiership striker. Good. Looking forward to Football First later. What are the negative ninnies saying? Villa are/were shit?

Interesting day, the QPR result making a mockery of some posts on here after that match and if the performance was as good as I am reading, could mean a re-think for some of the broader points about the level of quality in the side. I see Best is one quarter of the way to being considered a premiership striker. Good. Looking forward to Football First later. What are the negative ninnies saying? Villa are/were shit?

Think the biggest break was that Villa sat off us and they don't have Ashley Young anymore.

Bent is beginning to look past his best...$$

I didn't see the game but from what I heard he contributed nothing apart from his goal and that was only after he had a header saved from 5 yards out.

Though saying that, if he could do that every game then I'd be happy.