Aston Villa v NUFC - Sat 17th September 3PM

Tooj

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy enough with that. Even Ryan Taylor wasn't terrible. If anything Steven had me more worried, made a couple of major mistakes.

Cabaye was playing far too deep against QPR and it showed, he was anonymous. Much more offensive today and was absolutely fantastic. He'll get goals for us, super accurate shot and likes to get stuck in.

been impressed with cabaye today. his best game for us by far. forwards all looked fairly average as per. would have liked to see sammy on earlier. steven taylor had a game to forget. obertan failed to impress again. good result but should have taken all three points really. a big improvement on qpr.

Yup, that sums it up pretty well.

Great match to watch this. I think we edged the first half aswell. Our frenchies started blossoming now, Cabaye was absolutely astonishing. He was playing more advanced, and did really really well. I hope Pardew realises how shit that first sub of his was though.

Shola is so slow and lazy its unbelievable, you'd think he'd been huffing and puffing for an hour. Villa came into it immediately. Next time I dont see a reason to even put him on the bench, he hasn't even scored this season.

Obertan was more incisive today, and Jonas did really well I thought. Raylor wasnt too bad either, though I'd wish he'd have a left peg for all those crossing positions.

Lush pass from Marveaux at the end there aswell, Hopefully he will get a game soon.

Seeing as cabaye has firmly established himself as a hell of a ball striker, should we consider handing over the corner duties to someone else. His corners haven't really been anything more than OK, the ones I've seen being cut out early or just 'in the mixer' type deliveries. Surely we'd be better with him hanging around the edge of the box looking to win and get a shot off from balls cleared.

Canny performance, Cabaye looked a class act today. Stevie T had a shocker, I was disappointed with Collocinni in the 1st half he was too prone to going to ground one of the times he did it gifted Agbonlahor the goal.

All in all we were the better team the day, the team's definitely lacking a good striker and I'd like to see Marveaux get a start.

Edited by Barton7

Seeing as cabaye has firmly established himself as a hell of a ball striker, should we consider handing over the corner duties to someone else. His corners haven't really been anything more than OK, the ones I've seen being cut out early or just 'in the mixer' type deliveries. Surely we'd be better with him hanging around the edge of the box looking to win and get a shot off from balls cleared.

no

Stats from BBC:

Possession

* Aston Villa 46%

* Newcastle 54%

Attempts on target

* Aston Villa 3

* Newcastle 13

Attempts off target

* Aston Villa 8

* Newcastle 8

Corners

* Aston Villa 4

* Newcastle 9

Fouls

* Aston Villa 13

* Newcastle 10

I'll take a point though - they all count.

I think you make a good point. Might put Raylor to better use, though I can't really remember what his corners are like

I think we should be happy with the point obviously, but more so with most aspects of the performace. We played short passes, kept possession, took alot of shots. If we play like that consistantly we'll beat alot of teams. Villa are a top 10 side and we outplayed them for the most part.

Cabaye was absolutely immense because he was allowed to play the way he likes to rather than sitting in front of the centre backs like he did last week.

The thing that does worry me is Tiote's passing. Due to Enrique being gone Tiote is now the main avenue out of defence. Last season Krul would look to play the ball to Enrique every chance he got, this season Tiote rolls deep to pickup possession from Krul and shovel it off to a more forward thinking player. Problem is Tiote misplaces even some the easiest passes and its going to bite us in the arse at some point. Especially when Tiote himself doesn't have the outlet of Enrique to look to when he's under pressure.

Raylor was ok today but he's not a left back and his teammates know it and are trying to adjust accordingly so he doesn't get found out. Thing is its effecting their games aswell. It didn't hurt us today but against a team that really presses effectively, like a top 4 team and most decent teams when they are at home, we will be found out.

Never mind that though, for now, good result and I hope the good parts of today's performance can be repeated each week.

I think we should be happy with the point obviously, but more so with most aspects of the performace. We played short passes, kept possession, took alot of shots. If we play like that consistantly we'll beat alot of teams. Villa are a top 10 side and we outplayed them for the most part.

Cabaye was absolutely immense because he was allowed to play the way he likes to rather than sitting in front of the centre backs like he did last week.

The thing that does worry me is Tiote's passing. Due to Enrique being gone Tiote is now the main avenue out of defence. Last season Krul would look to play the ball to Enrique every chance he got, this season Tiote rolls deep to pickup possession from Krul and shovel it off to a more forward thinking player. Problem is Tiote misplaces even some the easiest passes and its going to bite us in the arse at some point. Especially when Tiote himself doesn't have the outlet of Enrique to look to when he's under pressure.

Raylor was ok today but he's not a left back and his teammates know it and are trying to adjust accordingly so he doesn't get found out. Thing is its effecting their games aswell. It didn't hurt us today but against a team that really presses effectively, like a top 4 team and most decent teams when they are at home, we will be found out.

Never mind that though, for now, good result and I hope the good parts of today's performance can be repeated each week.

Tiote is worrying like, hopefully he will get back to last seasons form soon.

There was a period in the game when it just turned into both teams hoofing the ball up the field, and unsurprisingly we got nothing from it. I mean, we obviously have a physical presence up front with the strikers we have, but when you have a combination of two of them up front then it really doesn't do a lot for us - especially with the new players we have brought in.

Fair enough hoofing it up field so that one of them can knock it down to a Frenchy, but we do only need one of them to aim for. We played much better with the ball on the ground today, and that team with just Ba up front and Ben Arfa playing off him (or even Sammy Am, who looks better with each game) is an exciting prospect. Surely Pardew must now see that Shola is a waste of space? Except vs. the Mackems, of course..