ooooooh hark at you, Mr Chez

peasepud

We are yet to win a game against a team in the top half of the table.

Maybe the teams that we have played are in the lower half because we weren't kind enough to lose to them ??

We got 3 total points last year from the same fixtures.

OH (edit) and good post Chez

That’s fair point but it could be that they are plain shite. Two narrow home wins against teams in 17th and 18th place is nowt to shout about, and the Mackems have a psychological problem when it comes to playing NUFC.

There’s far too much knee jerk drivel being spouted about our good start. Welcome as it is there is a long way to go before the reality of our transfer policy is known. It’s painful to watch opinion being blown around on the basis of a handful of random results.

Thing is you can't confirm if it's an easy start until the end of the season and league positions really pan out. You can only beat (or draw with) what's in front of you. This early in the season beating someone tends to have a much larger effect on their "immediate" relative league position. Aside from the top 3-4 this league is much of a muchness IMO.

Avoiding Man U, City and Chelski I suppose makes it easier than it could have been, but that's about as far as I'd go. Outside those 3 the league is very much in "any given Sunday" territory IMO.

Precisely. It’s an argument that cuts both ways.

At this stage in the season random factors can have a disproportionate effect, which is why it’s better to look at performances... and on this front we’ve been decidedly average.

but only those who go to games and don't have their heads up their arse can judge that correctly.

We are a poor [premiership] team. We have picked up some good points against other poor teams. Thats about it so far. Its understandable that some people who have spent anything between 12-18 months spouting nothing but financial wizardry calculations to justify the club being happy with premiership survival will jump on a few wins against other shit teams in this league, to somehow try to show "they were right".

Lets see what the position is next May, or in 2-3 years time, or when Ben Arfa, SamiObi, or Tiote are sold etc etc to bigger clubs like Villa, West Ham or QPR

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"A bit more sense" you mean ludicrous negativity refusing to accept any positivity because Mike Ashley owns the club. Leazes, you really aren't intelligent enough to take on this debate, although it has never stopped you before.

Arsenal will, shockingly finish in the top 10. They are still one of the better teams in the league, we have also struggled in the past against the likes of Fulham and Blackburn so it would take the most 'head up your arse, super negative' twat to try and downplay a good start to the season.

The fortune teller in me predicts a reply that doesn't really have anything to do with what I just posted.. :nufc:

We are yet to win a game against a team in the top half of the table.

Maybe the teams that we have played are in the lower half because we weren't kind enough to lose to them ??

We got 3 total points last year from the same fixtures.

OH (edit) and good post Chez

That’s fair point but it could be that they are plain shite. Two narrow home wins against teams in 17th and 18th place is nowt to shout about, and the Mackems have a psychological problem when it comes to playing NUFC.

There’s far too much knee jerk drivel being spouted about our good start. Welcome as it is there is a long way to go before the reality of our transfer policy is known. It’s painful to watch opinion being blown around on the basis of a handful of random results.

Thing is you can't confirm if it's an easy start until the end of the season and league positions really pan out. You can only beat (or draw with) what's in front of you. This early in the season beating someone tends to have a much larger effect on their "immediate" relative league position. Aside from the top 3-4 this league is much of a muchness IMO.

Avoiding Man U, City and Chelski I suppose makes it easier than it could have been, but that's about as far as I'd go. Outside those 3 the league is very much in "any given Sunday" territory IMO.

Precisely. It’s an argument that cuts both ways.

At this stage in the season random factors can have a disproportionate effect, which is why it’s better to look at performances... and on this front we’ve been decidedly average.

I'd agree if I had no comparison to make. You look at last season, look at the performances of teams who've played similar opposition (B'burn is a very good example), look at performances of the players... you can compare this seasons performances.

However, my point is that we've played well in different styles dictated by different situations. The derby, the Arsenal game, the cup games, all demand something different from the team. We've been, at the very least, a cohesive team. We've taken points from teams we expect to be around come the end of the season. We've not looked over-awed when we've met a traditionally potent team and we've beaten the local rivals. What more do you want?

I don't think we've been average at all; we're creating chances, we're stifling opposition attacks, we're not lumping the ball to the big men (as evidenced in the last few games), we look sturdy at the back (evidenced by conceding the least in England*) and we'v e still got Ben Arfa, and Santon to (presumably) slot into the first team.

*haven't checked that stat, but it was mentioned by SkySports

you don't need to make any direct comparisons to anything from our recent past to see that this club is going backwards, in the long run.

Good OP.

I agree the current trajectory is positive. Worries remain the lack of depth in the squad to cover injuries and suspensions and I still believe we need a better cutting edge upfront. However the current regime especially Pardew deserves credit for delivering the goods so far.

I think having a negative stance towards things like the sacking of Hughton or some of the transfer decisions was reasonable at the time i.e. things are panning out with hindsight. I still think not buying a striker in the summer was a mistake.

However if we continue to improve, dodge bullets re injuries and suspensions and amass points then you have to say they got it right. I hope they don't use this as an excuse not to spend in Jan though.

"A bit more sense" you mean ludicrous negativity refusing to accept any positivity because Mike Ashley owns the club. Leazes, you really aren't intelligent enough to take on this debate, although it has never stopped you before.

Arsenal will, shockingly finish in the top 10. They are still one of the better teams in the league, we have also struggled in the past against the likes of Fulham and Blackburn so it would take the most 'head up your arse, super negative' twat to try and downplay a good start to the season.

The fortune teller in me predicts a reply that doesn't really have anything to do with what I just posted.. :nufc:

I've been telling you for over 5 years now that it would be difficult to replace the owners idiots such as yourself despised, would be difficult to match. And you have disagreed right from day 1, along with lots of others. Please tell me when this is going to actually happen ?

So, until somebody else actually does it, please refrain from talking about such things as "a bit more sense", unless its impossible for you :nufc:

There are 32 games to go. We have not played any good team yet, other than Arsenal who are themselves in a crisis when judged on their own high standards over the past 15 years.

Your comments are exactly the sort of naive rubbish that has been posted by people like yourself on these message boards for many years now. It is crystal clear that you are as big an idiot as you have always been and have learned absolutely nothing from experience.

Edited by LeazesMag

you don't need to make any direct comparisons to anything from our recent past to see that this club is going backwards, in the long run.

4th best team in England currently.

:nufc:

Harping on about "We haven't played anyone decent yet" doesn't mean much. Do we count the likes of Fulham and Villa as much worse than we are?

I'd say that there are six definite teams that are better than us (the obvious six). We've played one of them and we got a point. Agreed, we'll suffly badly at the hands of some of them.

However, if we continue like we are against the other 13, we'll have a great season. Yeah, we won't be competing for the CL and the such (which is something we DO want to do ... but considering circumstances), but we'll being doing well for a team promoted only last season.

Under-praising is as bad as over-praising.

The run we're on won't last. But it'll have got us valuable points for the moments we are shit. Meanwhile, enjoy it while it lasts and don't think that what has been achieved so far "isn't all that", because we so far seem to be a damn sight better than at least 50% of the league.

Sing your hearts out for the lads!

Harping on about "We haven't played anyone decent yet" doesn't mean much. Do we count the likes of Fulham and Villa as much worse than we are?

I'd say that there are six definite teams that are better than us (the obvious six). We've played one of them and we got a point. Agreed, we'll suffly badly at the hands of some of them.

However, if we continue like we are against the other 13, we'll have a great season. Yeah, we won't be competing for the CL and the such (which is something we DO want to do ... but considering circumstances), but we'll being doing well for a team promoted only last season.

The run we're on won't last. But it'll have got us valuable points for the moments we are shit. Meanwhile, enjoy it while it lasts and don't think that what has been achieved so far "isn't all that", because we so far seem to be a damn sight better than at least 50% of the league.

80%

80%

I know, but I wanted to give a little bit of wiggle room. :D

As said, you can only play the teams put in front of you. I agree it's been a fairly easy start but it's been typical of us in the past that we would fight for a draw against a top side and struggle against a lower side. We always say we have to get points from these so called poorer teams and that's what we have done so far. I'm not too sure what else we could have done. A bit of luck rolled in with some good spirit. Can't argue.

That said, I'd agree some realism is needed. We have a tough patch coming and it's fair to say we'll not be top 6 by Xmas. But that's fine. I'd be content to maintain top half. As ever we are 1-2 injuries away from being fucked (it feels). What happens if we lose colo or tiote?

So far so good but I'll reserve judgement till Xmas.

The fortune teller in me predicts a reply that doesn't really have anything to do with what I just posted.. :lol:

I've been telling you for over 5 years now that it would be difficult to replace the owners idiots such as yourself despised, would be difficult to match. And you have disagreed right from day 1, along with lots of others. Please tell me when this is going to actually happen ?

So, until somebody else actually does it, please refrain from talking about such things as "a bit more sense", unless its impossible for you :D

There are 32 games to go. We have not played any good team yet, other than Arsenal who are themselves in a crisis when judged on their own high standards over the past 15 years.

Your comments are exactly the sort of naive rubbish that has been posted by people like yourself on these message boards for many years now. It is crystal clear that you are as big an idiot as you have always been and have learned absolutely nothing from experience.

The fortune teller in me predicts a reply that doesn't really have anything to do with what I just posted

Let's see what you've won!

As said, you can only play the teams put in front of you. I agree it's been a fairly easy start but it's been typical of us in the past that we would fight for a draw against a top side and struggle against a lower side. We always say we have to get points from these so called poorer teams and that's what we have done so far. I'm not too sure what else we could have done. A bit of luck rolled in with some good spirit. Can't argue.

That said, I'd agree some realism is needed. We have a tough patch coming and it's fair to say we'll not be top 6 by Xmas. But that's fine. I'd be content to maintain top half. As ever we are 1-2 injuries away from being fucked (it feels). What happens if we lose colo or tiote?

So far so good but I'll reserve judgement till Xmas.

Well put and that's certainly how I choose to measure it 6 games in. No knee-jerking or naivety, we've simply picked up more points in our list of 'winnable' games which all too often turn out to be games we get nothing out of.

Of course we'll start to drop points when we play the very top teams but theres far more average teams out there than CL contenders, so if we can continue to convert those fixtures into points where we've previously failed to do so we can point to that and say that's a positive. Also what I would say re our forthcoming tough patch is i. we can do ourselves a favour by converting some more of the fixtures in the meantime into points (confidence) and ii. I think the odds are that it will prove to be a better time to be playing Man U and Man C than in the first couple months of the season where they've been sweeping teams aside. They will be dropping points by then so we shouldn't be going into those games like we're some sort of sacrificial offering, we should be pointing to one or two weaknesses we feel we've got the quality in our team to exploit, while hopefully still having a resilient back line to give us the confidence to let our more creative players put them under a bit of pressure when we've got possession.

lots of people expected that at the end of the season, booed when it didn't happen, and insisted "anyone would do better than this" when they missed it by a point.

Of course, when you are happy with premiership survival, then 4th after 6 games is indeed something ......

The fortune teller in me predicts a reply that doesn't really have anything to do with what I just posted.. :lol:

So, until somebody else actually does it, please refrain from talking about such things as "a bit more sense", unless its impossible for you :D

The fortune teller in me predicts a reply that doesn't really have anything to do with what I just posted

Let's see what you've won!

you don't need to be much of a fortune teller to determine who on here doesn't go to many games.

The man has to be clinically insane.

as I've said, if calling it correctly for 5 years is "insane", what exactly do you call those fools who have been insisting otherwise ?

:D

This thread will be the new front line.

Discernment is the key.

We've made a good start to the season.

We haven't played a good side yet.

Let's see what happens.

We'll probably lose, but then that's what we usually do. Check out our stats for going to Old Trafford since the Prem began, they're horrendous. Anfield too. Man C don't warrant comparison because they've only been good for a season. The rest aren't great.

We can't use that as the barometer, it's only applicable when you're competing with those teams for honours, and when we briefly did, we still didn't have a good enough record against them. For now, surely we have to measure things by reference to how we fare against the big spending average clubs around us.

Discernment is the key.

Let's see what happens.

We'll probably lose, but then that's what we usually do. Check out our stats for going to Old Trafford since the Prem began, they're horrendous. Anfield too. Man C don't warrant comparison because they've only been good for a season. The rest aren't great.

We can't use that as the barometer, it's only applicable when you're competing with those teams for honours, and when we briefly did, we still didn't have a good enough record against them. For now, surely we have to measure things by reference to how we fare against the big spending average clubs around us.

Cake and eat if post of the decade. :D

Discernment is the key.

Let's see what happens.

Cake and eat if post of the decade. :D

Hardly.

The man has to be clinically insane.

as I've said, if calling it correctly for 5 years is "insane", what exactly do you call those fools who have been insisting otherwise ?

:lol:

:D:lol: What do you get out of this?

you're directing that question at the wrong person Gem.