Proper shit your pants scary films

ajax_andy

Just wondering what films people have watched that are actually really scary?

The missus and I watched Insidious on Sunday night which was decent, but it wasn't the most scary film in the world.

The one that stands out for me though is "The Grudge" staring Sarah Michelle Geller... although I'm not sure if that's because it was really scary, or because I watched it on my own which probably added to the spook factor.

Another would be "A Nightmare on Elm Street", mainly because I was about 9 and my parents decided it would be a good idea to let me watch it... yeah a film about a evil man who kills children in their sleep? thanks for endless nights of lying awake too scared to go to sleep mum and dad! lol!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Movies just aren't as scary when you grow up. Or maybe its just im a horror fan and have been de-sensitised.

I remember The Fly scaring the shit out me when younger. Also liked the original The Hills Have Eyes. A lot of people dont class Alien as a horror but that was also terrifying for a child.

Its generally just slashers these days. The real horrors are (as Ant says) suspenseful .

I remember watching Childsplay in a hotel room when I was about 7 and being shit scared at Chucky brandishing a huge knife.

Had to stop watching as I was getting scared so I changed the channel to Xena: Warrior Princess, where I got further freaked out as it was the episode with Gabrielle's devil baby.

My mum let me watch alien when I was 4 and it scared the living daylights out of me!

I'll second the Grudge - really freaks me the hell out. My girlfriend (even though she's not asian) loves to mimic the ghost just to scare me. :(

Movies just aren't as scary when you grow up. Or maybe its just im a horror fan and have been de-sensitised.

I remember The Fly scaring the shit out me when younger. Also liked the original The Hills Have Eyes. A lot of people dont class Alien as a horror but that was also terrifying for a child.

Its generally just slashers these days. The real horrors are (as Ant says) suspenseful .

Yeah I thought Paranormal Activity was good and pretty scary due to the suspense aspect.

I think its a difficult thing to pull off though as a lot of the time with those types of films you just think "what are you doing?!! run for god's sake... no dont go in there... why would you do that?!!" which is what makes it scary but also annoys the hell out of me as I can't help thinking that it's not very realistic lol

A quite freaky bit in Insidious is this woman looking up in to the corner of the room/ceiling and she can see a demon hanging there... no-one else can see it... and it reminded me of how the dog recently was just snoozing on the rug, suddenly he looked up at the corner of the room, got up but stayed crouched down, and slowly prowled a few steps forwards, eyes still firmly fixed to the same spot on the wall/ceiling and then let out a really deep gutteral growl... there was nothing there!!! Am glad that was before I watched that film and not just after!

I watched Salems Lot (Stephen King story, David Soul in the lead) when I was alone at night on a farm in my teens and nearly shat my pants. It's probably quite tame by today's standards. I watched any number of scary movies ripped to my tits in my 20s and couldn't tell you a thing about them. I guess the context is all important.

Scariest film I've ever watched now i think about it was The Ring. Not because the film was all that scary, but the lass I was watching with had come around to stop for one night and was still there three days later!!!! Now that's some proper freaky shit!!!

Descent was wank!

I found PA1 & 2 to be a bit too dull to be scary. Too many sections where nothing is happening so you tend to interpret anything as being out of the ordinary.

The Poltergeist films they're paying homage to are infinitely better (and scarier).

Descent was wank!

I found PA1 & 2 to be a bit too dull to be scary. Too many sections where nothing is happening so you tend to interpret anything as being out of the ordinary.

The Poltergeist films they're paying homage to are infinitely better (and scarier).

Aye, but for someone who shits their pants at Sloth from Goonies it was BAD!

I found 'The Shining' scarey on first watch too. And some of Alfred Hitchcocks films :scare:

Good shout.

Saw the Shining when I was a teenager, alone late at night and it sticks out as the most scared I've been. Our dodgy neighbour had all the 18's and our mam used to go mad that we watched them over there when we were 10 or summat, but even the likes of elm street and Eraserhead then paled in comparison...might have been the crowd viewing compared to the loner viewing though.

Also watched Psycho a couple of years back. After midnight in the house on my own. I'd seen the first half hour a few times when i was younger but never got through it. It's proper scary like. At the end, on the stairs, I shit.

I love horror films, find very few of them actually scary though. Insidious was fucking dreadful, that scene with the gas mask thing had me creased for ages. :lol:

The ones I tend to find most creepy are the likes of Paranormal Activity, REC, etc but I'm pretty nails so I wouldn't say they scare me as such. I'm pretty desensitised though I reckon.

Haunting in Connecticut was pretty jumpy, I like a good scary movie and that one did it for me considering it was based on actual events.

Also The Exorcism of Emily Rose was quite good, again due to it being based on actual events and doing a bit of research about it.

The based on actual events thing. Usually when you look into the events they were actually based on, they're a load of shit. I've been burned too often to buy that line anymore.

This is true, and for the most part The Haunting in Connecticut was 'creatively' based around the actual events, but that Emily Rose one, there are pictures and audio from the case/exorcism. Messed me up a bit

only things that ever scared me were Alien when I was 9 and that Ghostwatch program that was on at Halloween circa 1990. Alien is now one of my fav films but it no longer scares me and I've never seen Ghostwatch since but I reckon it will have lost it's edge by todays standards.